You may recall that I have started strength training. I basically like strength training. I like the idea that I'm getting more buff. Nothing says "I'm going to kick your ass" like a few muscles. But I digress. Back to the high schoolers.
The girls are harmless enough. They get on the ellipticals or stairmasters and rock out to their tunes. Some are clearly runners and kick my ass on the treadmill. Mostly they are benign.
Not so the boys--.
Here are a few things that annoy me about high school boys lifting weights in my gym:
- They HOG all of the equipment.
- They act as if they own the place.
- The leave 100 lb discs on the squat machine that I can't lift off on my own.
- They high five each other and are really loud and like to grunt.
- They smell. Sometimes like sweat, but mostly of cologne and sweat combined.
- They won't look you in the eye if you are a middle-aged woman. They pretend you are invisible.
These boys also make me wonder. I wonder things like--
- How many of these kids are on the juice? Call me crazy, but if my son was benching as much as some of these guys bench and had zits all over his back and was big as a truck, I'd be raiding his bedroom for the hypodermic.
- What sport are these guys playing? Can't be track--they're too big. Can't be lacrosse--these aren't pretty boys. Is it baseball? Why do you need to be big as a truck to play baseball?
- What do they think of me? Do they know I'm a serious athlete, or do they just see me as yet another middle-aged mom? and more importantly, WHY DO I CARE?
I'm very sore from lifting. I wonder if it will really help and I will really look and feel stronger when all is said and done.
The one thing I really dislike is the whole waiting 3 minutes between sets thing. Argh! I don't have three minutes to be hanging out picking my ass! So I never wait that long. Not even close. This makes me wonder if I am effing things up so much that the strength training won't work.
I'm done now!
In other news, I printed out a few pics of Angelina Jolie because I like her hair. I wanted to show them to Martha to see if she could cut and color it similarly. My hub finds the pictures and what does he say?
and I quote:
"Do you think your hairdresser could give you her body too?"
I kicked him. jerk.