Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Building One's Blog

Takes a lot of time. I read so many blogs now--and I haven't even taken the time to comment on them or to add them to my own site. I need to do this. I want to do this. But... Here's the thing: I feel like I'm busting into people's clique of friends when I post a comment. 

Know what I mean? It's like the whole tri-blogger community is this huge group of friends and how do you break in? I think you break in by just commenting all the time and making yourself a nuisance, but I'm not sure. Also, you must make your blog super cool and FULL. 

By full I mean it should have lots of cool little lists and bars and a chart of one's workouts and those cool little photos boxes on which you click to take a step into someone else's universe. Also, you need a cool header--a cool title (which I don't have--mine's too insipid-too whiny.) I don't even know how to make a cool header--like Sara's from Trisara-Tops (such a great name) or MoMo's (love the Gerber Daises and the black and pink). How do you make a header like that?? Why do I even want to reach out? Why does this whole tri-blogger thing appeal to me so much? 

 I think it's because it is a way to reach out and connect with people around the only thing I have that is all mine and outside of my identity as a teacher/wife/mom. I exist in this super small suburban universe, and it's hard to break out. I am a mom. with brown hair. I drive my kids around in my Toyota mini-van. I teach Island of the Blue Dolphins. I listen to NPR or Books on Tape instead of music in the car. I don't have too many shots of Jager on Friday night when I'm out with my girlfriends partying it up. I don't go out on Friday nights with my girlfriends anymore. I only meet them at Starbucks and chat about being a suburban mom. I worry about hosting book club because of the stains and dog hair on my couch. My husband and I sleep in a king sized bed. I wear clogs to work. I can count on one hand the movies I've seen in the theater since my first child was born 6.5 years ago. I could go on. 

  Instead I'll say that I'm looking forward to my run tomorrow afternoon--during the hour I've carved out between work and home. I will play "Eye of the Tiger" and "Don't Stop Believing" and pound the earth and feel alive.

5 comments:

Flo said...

Very well written post!! I know that feeling but don't feel that way. By jumping in and commenting you find people that you fit in with. Plus all the tri-bloggers are great!!! This is a great community with tons of support and great advice.

kodiacbear said...

I just started a few weeks back and do know the feeling. I've been lurking and slowly trying to build it myself. Its a great way to stay connected with family and friends and find people in the area with the same intrests. Congrats on your coach!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Hey, I look forward to your posts and your comments. Don't feel like you are busting in. I need friends. LOL

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Ok, now you owe US an explaination. How did you change your banner. Thats pretty cool.

Triteacher said...

Hi there! I'm so glad you stopped in and commented. That is the way to build your blog. It enticed me over to your site which I really like. It's always nice to meet someone else with common interests: teaching, triathlon - and can't forget - I have brown hair and wear clogs too. ;)