Thursday, August 19, 2010

Timberman/Anniversary/Puppies and other Stuff

Saturday we travel to NH to compete in the Timberman 1/2! This will be my third Timberman, my sixth half Ironman, and my twenty-second triathlon.

I feel like I have done more triathlons that that, but I just counted them up, and that is the number--21 so far: four in 2007, seven in 2008, six in 2009 and three so far in 2010.
The breakdown of that 20:
Eight sprints, sixth Olympics, five Halfs and two Full IM.

Fascinating, huh? Should I count up my road races now? Just kidding. That would take a month...

I am psyched to race this weekend. I have been dragging in mojo-land a bit for the last few weeks, but I think I'm ready to roll for this race. Jen keeps assuring me that my endurance is there--that it doesn't just evaporate overnight--and that I have done the work to keep myself sharp. I am choosing to believe her because 1. She has been at this game longer than me and knows her stuff and 2. Why not? It doesn't do me much good to not believe her, now does it?

So I am going to hammer this puppy. I plan to swim hard, bike hard (although I do have a wattage cap and I will not go super-threshold on those stinking hills! I did learn something, Kurt!) and I will hammer the run (although I will not take it out too fast--I promise, Jen.) I'm going to nail my nutrition: 1 gel at the start and 8 gels during the event, three bottles of water/sports drink and sports drink (what are they serving now? I can't remember) at all running stops that don't include intake of a gel. (Nine gels... argh..... I did get some new flavors, Thank God. Have you ever tried Pineapple?)

Anyway, it will be an awesome race for me. I know it.

I think I might be most psyched for this race because Andy is doing it. Naturally I've always wanted Andy to become a triathlete, but I didn't think it would happen. Truthfully, it still may not. He is a runner first (wait, have a bragged yet about how he has run a 2:41 marathon??) , but lately he has discovered bike racing and I think that will take off as the new obsession/true love for him.  If I can get him to do a few tris each season I will be a happy camper, though. He will do great at Timbeman if he doesn't fry himself on the bike. He is a great runner--and will reel people in big time if he keeps a little gas in the tank. It will be fun to see. HOPEFULLY, I will able to watch him finish because my wave starts 20 minutes ahead of his.  I will use the thought that he is going to pass me any minute on the run to motivate me. If he passes me on the bike I may have to spit at him, though.

Andy and I celebrate our 11th anniversary on Saturday, so our 1/2 is kinda sorta a way to celebrate. Those of you who are married longer than a few years know it is a big deal to make it to eleven. We have both grown and changed a lot in the last 15 years since we got together. Sometimes those changes went over well--sometime not so much. But we have made it this far--and we are racing together on Sunday. Not many couples race together. Have you noticed that? It is one or the other conceding to the lifestyle, and not necessarily embracing it. Andy gave me racing--he brought it to me. He did not know the monster he was creating when he first brought me down to the Brew Run in 1995...
but thank you, Andy. It was a big gift.

Anyway, enough gooey sentiment. In four weeks we will get out real anniversary present. We are getting our two new pups. Andy and I raised our first two puppies together--saw them through their lives--and then their deaths. We are starting again now. That seems symbolic to me. Oh wait, more goo. Sorry.

Okay.. none of this has anything to do with Timberman. IN SHORT. I plan to race like a superstarrrrr....
wahoo!
My prediction is that Ange will not only win our AG, but also be the first female amateur.
I have a whole ton of friends racing... Mel, Kim, Rob, Keith, Jana, Suzy, Kevin (I'm thinking Kevin will be first amateur out of the water--and he will beat many pros, too, though probably not Potts). Also Jon and Mandy will be racing--who I haven't met but who are bloggy friends. Hmmm. I feel like I am missing people. Sorry if I missed you. It will be a partA for sure.

Okay, and just one more thing about the Smurf stuff. This morning I was reading the Portland Press Herald article on the B2B 10K that my mom saved for me. In it Rob--of smurf commenting fame--was quoted because he was the third Mainer to finish. All I could think was wow--wouldn't it have been a great story if he HAD been one of the Smurfs? SMURF finishes 10K road race in 31 flat!! Anyway--
Holy smokes that's fast!!
Also wanted to give a shout out to Joanie and David. You guys are great organizers, andthe B2B is always a great race. Thanks.
I figure if the Smurfs read my blog, maybe they do too, you know? And David, if you do read this, you should be in touch. Can you get on FB already?

18 comments:

Kim said...

woohooo hope to see you somewhere out on the course (i go off at 7:45am i think) so maybe on the out and back run. GOOD LUCK mary! hammer it home sister!

Jon said...

Good luck this weekend! It would be a miracle to meet up in person at this race due to its enormous size, but if you happen to remember AND see a bib #1955, thats ME. It will probably say "Leonard" on it, even though my real name is Jon.

I like your race strategy and I plan on copying it. I have some unfinished business from this race last year and I plan on destroying my time from last year.

The weather is looking perfect! Let's PR this mother!!!

Nitsirk said...

My husband and I race together (well at least before the kid). We did our first IM together and it was the best. We went through all the hell of training and the highs of finishing together which made it all the more special. Plus, neither of us mind stinky gear or bike parts all over the living room floor :)

Barb said...

Good Luck at Tman Mary! My husband and I both raced it last year and LOVED it! We are always commenting that there are not that many couples that do tris together. For the most part, it is great to go through the training and the ups and downs of racing together. We have been through 20 years of marriage.
Two years ago, we got two silver lab puppies (half brothers) and they are the best of friends. Lots of work in the beginning, but so fun!!

I can't wait to hear all the race stories on Monday!!
Have a great race!!

Judi said...

kill it this weekend, TEAR it up! hope you and andy have a GREAT time racing. xxxooo.

Rebecca DeWire said...

Good luck this weekend and enjoy your anniversary. My husband and I love racing together and it is a pretty awesome feeling when you see your spouse out there on the course racing with you. We have trained and raced together for all of our IMs and let me just say those were true tests of our marriage (mostly because I can whine a lot during training).

MaineSport said...

Have a great race, Mary! I'm very curious to see how Andy does.

Adrienne said...

Kick butt! Especially your husband's!

Ewa said...

Good luck this weekend. It seems you have a winning attitude so I am sure you will have lots of fun.

Caratunk Girl said...

Good luck Mary! Maybe I will see you there! My bib#2597 and I am in the 18th wave...so yeah, I will be going a bit stir crazy waiting around!

Love your game plan! You are totally going to kick some butt!

Aimee said...

Wow..you have a lot going on! Good luck to both of you in your tri! Yay!
Also, happy anniversary! Yay for 11 years, and yay for getting a puppy! :)

Heidi M. said...

pineapple is my favorite...very little aftertaste and pretty easy to get down...good luck this weekend!!

kerrie said...

have a great race!! sounds like your kind of course.
the hubster and i often race together....a little too often for my liking, but what are you going to do?
i'm also really impressed that you can manage to choke down 8 gels during a half. yum.

donna furse said...

good luck Mary and Andy, have a great race. I can't wait for the race report.Any names for the pups yet?

Unknown said...

Good luck this weekend! Sounds like it is going to be a big weekend for you both.

And no thanks on the Pineapple gel.

Regina said...

BEst of luck at Timberman, I know you will kill it!

Congrats on the anniversary and the puppies!

Love and Puppies, Christy said...

I hope Timberman went well! My husband and I race/train together and I it's awesome! We crossed the finish line at IMCOZ together and it was amazing (for me at least, he felt like death apparently). I hope you smoke him and are able to watch him finish! :) Good luck!! You are a rockstar!

Running and living said...

Great job at Timberman! That bike ROCKED! I was anxiously tracking you toward the end, what a fight it was! Can't wait for the report. I am thinking of doing the race next year!