Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Project Swim Goddess

This week I joined a new Masters team. Andy (the mate) and one of my athletes have been going to this group since last winter. The coach of this team types out the workouts and gives each swimmer a copy. I'd beg Andy to bring home the workouts (even if the paper was tattered and soggy) so I could copy each one and do it on my own. I loved the workouts because they were always the perfect distance (about 4000 yards) and the coach had intervals set out for an A, B, C and D group. I fit the B group perfectly, so the intervals were ready made and perfect for me.

For awhile I thought I should just allow that Masters group be Andy's thang... you know. Give him some space--don't invade his new fun workout party--continue to steal the workouts he brought home and execute them solo. But then I thought, fuck that. I want to go too! So I decided to join this group in the mornings. (Andy swims at night, so it's still sort of his thing, right?)

My first practice was on Monday. Since it was Labor Day, the practice was at 8:00 am, and Andy didn't have to work, so we went together.  We did 4100 yards, and I loved it!

Here are the reasons I loved it:

1. The people were nice, and I found the B people and felt like I fit right in.
2. The workout was challenging, but I could do it without a problem.
3. The time went fast... even though part of the workout was 4 x 300 and I hate 300s (I don't mind 400s or 200s, but I just really don't like 300s.)
4. The coach remarked that he thinks with a month or so of work I might be able to move up to the A group.
5. and finally, The coach is smoking, and I mean SMOKING hot. (Okay, he's like 25...I know I know). All the reasons above were reason enough, but an eye candy coach just seals the deal for me! (I did question Andy thoroughly about this... as in, How could you have kept that small detail from me? Hello! He just rolled his eyes ....)

So I plan to swim with this group three mornings a week. I also plan to swim on Tuesdays with a group at Harvard. I like that team too, but it's just not that easy to get to Cambridge to train. Then I plan to swim one day all by my lonesome.  If I don't develop a major shoulder injury from training the swim 5x a week, I will fast become the swim goddess I aim to become. Since I can't run (sob!) this seems (at least to me) like a good plan.

In honor of my new swim goddess goal, I have (of course) purchased a few new suits from Splish. Two are shiny suits--you know--like metallic. One is red and the other is a lime color. The other suit is pink with white polka dots. They were having a sale over the Labor Day weekend. That is my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. That, and my plan to honor becoming a swim goddess. No need to reflect upon the fact that I already have so many swim suits I have had to devote and entire drawer of my dresser to house them all.

Other than swimming, I have not been up to much except for the usual work/chores/parent. I wear my boot around. I've been eating (too much). I've been hanging with the dogs in the woods. I've been spending way too long on FaceBook and too much time reading (at least recently) trashy novels.

I have also been looking for a used Cyclocross bike to buy.
And I think I may have found one.
If I can get this foot to heal then I will be spending some time trying to ride the thing.
Should be comical and worth several hilarious posts!

Maybe I will marry the two goals--swim goddess and cyclocross survivor--and pedal around in my lime green sparkly suit while sitting on my new/used Cross bike. What do you think?

5 comments:

Kim said...

Hmmmm a hot swim coach? Makes me want to join a masters program! Btw jealous of the cyclocross...i would love to get into that. Miss you friend!

Keith said...

I admire you for taking on masters. I'm pretty sure I'd be in the E group. Or maybe the F. I've sometimes thought of trying out for Masters swim just to see if I could make the coach cry watching my lame attempt at breast stroke.

What, no photos of the new suits? You're slipping. Especially on the new bike.

Summer is for trashy novels.

KMichaud said...

Is this swim coach of yours single? I will totally drive the 2+ hours to find out!

Anonymous said...

Lucky you - a hot swim coach sounds great. Way to get you going to the pool. Swimming 5 times a week, I can feel my shoulders now. But well done on getting this organised - you WILL be a swim goddess. In a new swimsuit. Or two.

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

It's so interesting how guys do not notice hot guys yes women notice all the hot a$$ women...or is that only me? Ha! Yes, a hot and young swim instructor makes a huge difference!
Excited about your swim races and cyclocross. Apparently Joe Friel managed to bike with a broken hip. There is always a way, right?
I agree with Keith about the pictures:)