Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Running in the Dark

Last Sunday I started my run late in the day. It was 4:15 when I finally got going. I had on shorts and a long-sleeved shirt, and about 10 minutes into the run I decided I had made a mistake by not wearing tights and slipping on a pair of gloves. I also realized that if I wanted to finish my run, I'd be finishing in the dark.

I don't exactly like running in the dark, and I'm definitely not used to it. As darkness fell I felt increasingly tentative about each step, worried I might trip, and I was alarmed by how bright the lights of the oncoming cars were. As I ran I kept thinking that running alone in the dark--and not realizing the dark was coming so soon--was metaphoric... for something. Or maybe not a metaphor; maybe an omen? But that's as far as my brain got; I was too focused on not getting hit by a car to allow my thinking to get even a little complex.

Once done with the run I contrived a couple quite apt, (if cliched) metaphors for my running as the night came on. But the only thing that really stayed with me of those metaphors had to do with the very basic LIFE metaphor.  We try so hard, in life, to refrain from running in the dark. It makes us uneasy; our footing is not secure. And we worry that a car, with its bright lights and careless power, will plow us down as we try to get home.

My run on Sunday aside, I generally avoid running in the dark. For years I still did so; I was teaching, and to get my running in I had run in the early, dark hours before school began.  To combat my extreme dislike of running alone in darkness I found a group of runners who also ran early and glommed onto them. (I'm still friends with these people. We eventually formed a running club, GNRC.) I still didn't relish getting started in the pitch black, but when chattering away with friends I'd soon forget that we could barely see where we were going.

Running in the dark, especially when done alone, requires courage and it requires faith.  You need to believe that you will keep your footing even if you can't exactly see where you're landing; you need to believe that others, driving in their all-powerful cars, will notice and respect you.  I don't trust my footing that much, and I definitely don't trust other humans that much.

Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately, I'm not quite sure) we go through stretches in life where we simply cannot avoid running in the dark. But what I wonder is if those periods of time aren't bad at all. Do those times actually do us good by pulling us out of our complacency? When we run in daylight we move without really paying attention: we know where we are going, we can see the road ahead, we know our pace because we can see the face of our Garmins.  It's all good. But is it? Because just when you think you have this run thing figured out, you then have a run that starts out well, in the light, but  half way through that run you realize you haven't prepared correctly--you are totally under-dressed for the conditions--and you are far from home, and the sun is fading from the sky. We are forced, at those times, to call on our courage and faith, and if it's been a very long time since we ran in the dark, that can be tough to do.

This seems to be turning into a post in which I advocate just getting out there and running in the dark. Develop your courage! Have faith! Put on those running shoes and boldly step into a pothole and get hit by a car while running in the dark!

The command is trite. I know.


I think what I am really after is not the idea that you must put yourself in the dark so you can be awakened, but rather the idea that without running in the dark, we fail to develop our courage and faith. I know faith conjures the religious, and that's not what I mean here. What I mean is that it requires faith to remove ourselves from comfort and declare what we are after. It takes courage to believe we can achieve something if we have no proof we can do so.

The other day a friend of mine posted his belief--online--that he would make it to Kona in 2013. My reaction upon seeing this was something along the lines of WOAH, Bold statement there! What makes you believe that you have what it takes to get there when you haven't yet even completed your first Ironman? But I realized, soon after having that thought, that my reaction had more to do with me, and my struggle with having faith, than it had to do with his declaration. He KNOWS that he must really believe--or it won't happen. To declare it to the world is a way of making it real. I know, and he must know, that he will be running in the dark to get there. But if he believes he will make it through, he just might. That is the way faith works.

I wish it was as simple as deciding on faith. I'm a cynic, and that cynicism extends to my belief in my own ability to achieve. So I'm thinking maybe what I need is to run in the dark--you know--sort of symbolically. Maybe I need to act like I have the faith that I won't step in a pothole or slip on leaves or get hit by a careless driver who could care less about my faith--or my lack of it. 

Between now and my first race of the season, California 70.3 in late March, I am designing and following my own training plan. I don't feel like this is running in the dark. I certainly have done my fair share of designing effective training plans for others and for myself. Still, this move requires faith on my part. My plan is different than anything I have ever done before--and therefore it's both exciting and risky. I have had Kurt look at my plan, and he has offered up that it's not totally insane. I'm taking that as endorsement.

Here's to faith and courage.







7 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

Oh I love this post! I'm with you- I rarely run in the dark anymore... I used to, but now I don't normally have to, so I don't. But I get what you're saying about taking a leap of faith. I learn a lot from my athletes in this regard too- several of them have such staunch beliefs in themselves... far greater than my own belief in myself... and then I watch them execute their training plans and achieve their goals and every time I think I should be more like them. :)

I am really liking designing my own training plan right now. This time more than ever, for whatever reason. maybe I just feel like I know more now so I have more confidence? I'm not second guessing myself at all which is new.I do think that's the hardest part about designing your own training... the second guessing... So screw all that and believe you're doing it correctly and it will likely turn out that you are. :)

Keith said...

I like to run in the dark. Alone. Out where there are no streetlights on the bike path, and though it's ploughed, there is usually ice. Through a major park that connects to the world beyond the city, where major predators have been found in the past. Major as in bears, four pawed cougers, wolves, and coyotes. It's liberating to extend your senses and connect to the world. It is empowering to head out for such a run, and come back, but I'll be the first to admit it isn't for everyone.

That's major stones for your friend to committ to going to Kona when they haven't completed their first IM. That's a different world entirely, and nobody knows how they'll react till they try. Best wishes.

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Oh Mary! You are going to do awesome with your own plan! I am so excited for you!
Like you, I am cynical and don't really have a great belief in myself when it comes to running. Eery good race is a surprise deep down. WTF? I mean, I am super confident in all other aspects of my life! I also have a lot of belief in my knowledge of running and creating a training plan. I just don't have confidence in my ability to run well.

I agree that confidence is important (obviously). But then I also see runners that are all about confidence and dreams without putting the work in. Those runners drive me crazy when they post how disappointed they are with their race.

Pam said...

I don't run at night if I can help it. I hate being blinded by headlights...

Good luck with your own plan! You have enough experience to know what works for you. The only tricky part is lacking objectivity. I came up with my own plan this year and ran faster than I've ever run in my goal race (6 minute half marathon PR!). Reading the book "Run" by Matt Fitzgerald helped give me the confidence that I would have the intuition to figure out what workouts would serve me best. I can't imagine however that there is a book I've read that you haven't, though:)

Jean, aka Mom said...

Yikes!
I think running in the dark, and writing your own workout plans is a
little like being a Republican heeding Republican polls. Somewhat
problematic.

kT said...

This is literally true, but maybe metaphorically as well: I love running in the dark (though I don't live around as much traffic as you) because it feels like you're going faster than when it's light out. I just read an article that provided scientific evidence for this (you can't see things far away, so everything you see is moving relatively fast by you), but it's always been obvious to me, so I feel like I'm flying. (But I did break down and buy a headlamp a couple weeks ago to help with the footing--not sure what the metaphorical headlamp would be here.)

Unknown said...

I love your blog posts Mary! And, had to laugh out loud because I am definitely one of those people who LOVES to run in the dark - early morning at 5 a.m. I would highly recommend that in another post you encourage all of your readers to buy an effective headlamp though :-).......I DID... after a memorable morning run when I was flying down a hill and proud of myself for running fast when BAM - my entire RIGHT LEG went through a pothole in the sidewalk. I slammed forward in the concrete and luckily just bone bruise on two hands, 6 stictches on left leg and lucky i didn't break it! Local city government quickly tried to cover up that fiasco... I am much more aware now when i run in the dark!! Sounds like you have a great plan for 2013!!