Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Beach to Beacon 10K Race Report-- otherwise known as Mary has not PR’d in the 10K since 2006—and she still hasn’t.



I didn’t do much last week in terms of workouts. Jen and I decided I should bring down the volume slightly so I might have a shot at PRing at Beach To Beacon.

I wasn’t sure about this plan. I have Timberman in two short weeks, and my training volume has been quite astoundingly pathetic in training for it. To come down in volume (especially given my volume wasn’t especially high to start with) three weeks out didn’t seem right. But I did it anyway. My mojo was kinda in the toilet last week anyway, so it was actually pretty good timing.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m still excited for Timberman. I love that race—and Andy is racing too—and Ange and my friend Mel. That is tres fun.  Also, I reason I just did an IM seven weeks ago, and so I MUST have some residual endurance fitness from that.  

But then again…. I just do not feel ½ IM race sharp at all, so maybe it won’t be my best ½ ever.  

But then again…. maybe it will be a fantastic race. I’m just going to race my heart out as if I was right on target with my training, and we shall see what happens. I figure I’m not carrying a lot of fatigue, I know how to race a ½, I know the course at Timberman, and just seven weeks ago 112 miles didn’t seem so bad…
So I could have the race of my life.  Yep. That’s my take and I’m sticking to it!

But that’s way off topic.

Back to B2B 10k.

I didn’t have especially high hopes for this race, but I held on to the dream that I just might squeeze out a PR. I don’t often do 10ks, which is likely the reason my PR from the summer of 2006 still stands. 2006 was a great summer of racing for me. I hadn’t started triathlon at that point. Instead, I was totally geeked up about my running.  I had spent the last five years giving birth to children and I finally had my body back. I was training for the Clarence de Mar Marathon in September, and I raced every weekend that summer to prepare for it. Don’t let people tell you that too much racing will totally slaughter you. Okay, sometimes it might depending on what you are training for and what you are doing when you are NOT racing,…. BUT I raced every weekend that summer, I PR’d constantly, and then I qualified for Boston at Clarence… I’m just saying.

Anyway, I had a great race at Beach to Beacon that year and went 43:05. Since then I have only done a handful of 10ks, but I have yet to break that time. Saturday I came close—but not close enough. Still, I’m not that disappointed. I did two little 5Ks in the weeks prior to the race so I could try to get my race legs back. Both of those races were slooooowwwww for me—nearly a minute and a half of my 5K PR.  At B2B my 10K was faster than those two 5ks combined, so that’s a good thing. I can’t complain. IM to 10K is not exactly an easy transition…

I seem to be spending a great deal of time in prelude to this report. Maybe that’s because I don’t actually have that much to say about it.
It was perfect weather. My friends were there. I was rested and ready to race.
And of course,
It hurt.
It hurt a lot.
It hurt in that awful way that only 10Ks do.

The first mile was somewhat flattish. I was careful and only allowed myself to take it out five seconds faster than my goal pace. I saw Ange, Jeff, Tim, Mark, Mike, Bob and a QT2 shirt (Mark S) out ahead of me, but I didn’t try to catch them. I was being smart and good. (I’m usually neither, so this was quite an accomplishment…)

During the end of mile one a small group of men and women who had painted themselves blue began to run alongside me. They had contrived adult-sized white diapers that off-set their blue legs and chests, and they had little white beenie hats that looked like the tips of condoms. They lalala’d the Smurf song as they ran, and they and made cracks about that evil creature Gargamel.

Warning: Bitchy paragraph to follow…

I seriously, seriously wanted to vomit all over them. Their attire and singing could be the most annoying thing I have witnessed in a road race in my life. First, they looked positively stupid. WTF? Why Smurfs? What does that have to do with anything? Juggling? That’s kinda cool. Carrying a flag? Total respect. Wearing fatigues? God bless you. Dressed as a FUCKING SMURF? Get the fuck out of my way you imbecile!!
I do not appreciate people holding hands and skipping and lalala-ing as if they have all the energy in the world while I am sucking wind and desperately trying to keep my pace under 6:50. I know that road racing is supposed to be all good fun, but dressing like assholes and humming 1980s cartoon theme songs while others around you are seriously trying to race is incredibly, incredibly obnoxious, and I don’t care if I sound like a bitch in saying so.

So, in short, I was not a fan of the Smurfs. I thought they were freaking stupid in the 1980s, and I still think they are stupid. Humph. End of Bitch session.

Mile 2 was more pleasant than mile one, simply because I left the Smurfs in the dust. It was also nice because I saw my h.s. good friend Chris, who was cheering on the sidelines. Hi Chris! My friend Mark (S) passed me around that time, and it took me a second to figure out he must have made a porta potty stop, because he HAD been significantly ahead of me. He trotted off and I felt that annoyed envy I always feel when I’m literally killing myself and someone passes me as if they are just taking a leisurely Sunday jog. Sigh. He was the last familiar face I saw until the finish, which is odd since I knew probably half of the 5770 people racing.

Mile three was largely downhill and as a result I was able to run faster for the first 5K of this 10K than I had in both of my recent two 5ks. That was nice. But then the course started uphill. That wasn’t so nice. Miles 4 was rolling, and although I questioned whether I might die, I did hold my pace. If I could just hold steady through mile 5, I calculated, I would PR. I was there. 

I'm not sure how I manage to run with my eyes closed.


Alas, it was not to be. Mile 5 is a bear in B2B. It goes up a little. Then a little more up. Then a little more up. It really just goes up… and my pace slowed.  A lot. I passed a few girls during this time, so clearly I am not the only one who had a less than stellar mile 5. Still, it was a tad depressing to let go of my PR pace. As I rounded the bend into Fort Williams State Park I saw Alina and her kids cheering me on. That was a huge boost. Then I heard another voice say Mary Holt-Wilson. I’m not sure it who it was, but I think it was Kurt. So that was another boost. And then I was at mile 6…. FINALLLYYYY.

I ran the last .26 in 6:06 pace. I was hauling! This was primarily because I thought maybe if I could just sprint fast enough I would still PR… but I didn’t. I finished in 23:18—13 seconds off. Damn.

I think I spent the majority of this RR bitching about the Smurfs. Sorry about that.

In summary, I had a good race. I like the course (except for mile 5. Well, I even kinda like mile 5). I like that this race draws so many of my Maine friends, and I like that it is run in my hometown! I will PR on this course—someday.

I finished 11th in my Ag out of 390—9th if you take out the two pros my age. That made me feel pretty good and helped to mitigate the fact that I hadn’t PR’d. Ange was 3rd AG—1st without the pros, and ran a 40:40. HOLY SMOKING FAST. Congrats, Ange! My friends Tim, Mike, Jeff’s wife Leigh, and Jeff also PR’d, and Ange’s husband Mark went under 40. Yikes… My friends Carrie, Stacy and Erin ran EVEN THOUGH they just did Lake Placid, and Carrie finished like 6th in our AG. Amazing.

Finally, I want to give a shout out to my dad. He ran the course in 55:15. He’ll be 70 in October. I think that is more impressive than any other performance of the day. Congrats, Dad!

Also, apologies again for not being up to date on all of your blogs. I am seriously internet challenged this summer. I had to write this post on Word, and then go to a Starbucks to upload it to Blogger!
See you in a few.

27 comments:

Jon said...

Enjoy these last 10 days. I will be up at Timberman as well. Hopefully the humidity cuts and we have a dry day.

Kim said...

let me get this straight. you just raced an Ironman, AND you were 13 seconds off your PR - yeah im pretty sure you are still ridiculously fast. i would have snot rocketed on those smurfs. see you at timberman!

Regina said...

I think that was a pretty awesome race time. I'm glad you are happy with your finish time, cuz it sure as hell is impressive to me!!

I long to be fast....I sometimes wish I had always been a runner...But instead I have always hated running, which is why I am slow...

Tear it up at Timberman.

For the record, I too hated smurfs then and would certainly hate them now if they showed up in my race.

Michelle Simmons said...

I'm laughing at the smurfs issue. What a nightmare. I'm in complete agreement. I mean if they wanna dress up as smurfs, fine. but start at the back and don't mess with other people who are actually racing!

But seriously, congrats. Maybe not the race you wanted, but not far off!

Running and living said...

I am glad you are not disappointed (too much). This race will help you a ton at Timberman. Plus, Baystate is coming up and you'll get a PR there, I am sure:)
PS. You look very fit, even with the little training:)

Aimee said...

Umm....I would say you had an awesome time and were super fast! I know it wasn't a PR, but congrats on your race! You did great!

Jamie Anderson said...

Understand the frustration of not hitting a PR, but hey, still a darn good race.

Totally agree about the smurfs. People who do that shit are morons. Wait till Halloween if you want to dress and act like an idiot just to get attention, I say.

Ange said...

oh I HEARD those SMurfs do their lalalala and I said nice and loud to Mark, "Annoying!" I didn't see them but he told me about the costumes later. Totally strange and annoying. I agree.
You ran FAST Mary!!! On IM legs!! T'man WILL be a great rce for you. I know it.

John said...

I guess we won't be casting you in the role of Smurfette. :)

Ewa said...

Well, at least TV Smurfs were cute, at least the first couple of seasons, I thought.
You are one strong lady. This was quite a run after your Ironman. Congrats.

Caratunk Girl said...

I will be up at Timberman as well. I laughed out loud at your title, but post IM and only 13 seconds off of your PR? Yeah, you rock.

Anonymous said...

It is annoying to have a good weather summer race day for once and not quite be able to capitalize, but I think this is great. You're very very close even though your training (not that I know the details) has been geared toward a vastly different event. Obviously there are bigger fish to fry with timberman, but to me this says that with a month or so of 10K centric training and a couple shots at it, you'd easily be under 43. And Smurfs are creepy.

Rob said...

You don't want smurfs running and singing right next to you? Here's a sure-fire way to get rid of them... get faster. End of story.

GetBackJoJo said...

I'm pretty sure I offended a smurf. Rob, where you a smurf???? I do need to get faster, that is so true. I'm pretty sure that I will never be your speed, though, so if you are a smurf I am in trouble.

Anonymous said...

We (the smurfs) dress up as random characters every year... we give toys to kids along the coarse

batman, robin and the riddler
superman and wonderwoman
spiderman
ninja turtles


The point is to get the crowd going for the runners. We give toys to kids along the coarse. We intentionally run out of others way so that they can race. I personally had at least 3 people come to me after the race and thank me for getting the crowd roaring. Sorry for making the race fun for the spectators.

GetBackJoJo said...

Okay... I deserve that... I think I felt annoyed because I was working so hard, and you were painted blue and singing. It almost mocked my hard effort. That is, of course, an exceedingly self- absorbed way to view it, and that makes me sorry for my harsh public judgement. I'm not sure why you are using the race to play Santa, however.it's definitely fun for the spectators, but I think you should also think about what it says to runners who train very hard for the event, and then you blithely skip past them dressed up for a costume party. I can't dream of runnning a 15 minute 5k as most of the smurfs do ( I read robs blog)-- but I work hard for my 7:00 pace... If you were in a race and someone ran with you dressed in costume skipping and singing as if out to just play, how would that feel to you?

rungirl said...

Hey Mary ... I got passed by some guy dressed up as Uncle Sam carrying a flag during Boston '05. I was struggling not to fall completely apart and this guy was just moving along without a care in the world. I always just figure more power to 'em.

Great job out there!!

I saw you at the finish and wanted to come say congrats on IM CDA but then I lost you in the crowd.

Mike Platt said...

The Aggies racing, as a centipede, challenged world class women and beat many of them, including Joanie. And knowing these guys, I am certain they were half in the bag at the time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1065896/index.htm

Gary Fanelli used to lead big marathons wearing all sorts of humorous attire.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1066849/index.htm

solobreak said...

The guy behind you in the white and green singlet is totally checking out your shit.

GetBackJoJo said...

Ahhhh... You always know just what to say Solobreak... I needed that. :)

Mike Platt said...

I can't believe none of the regulars stuck-up for you yet.

There is nothing worse than faster people *givin' the bizness* to the lesser fleet. Especially when it is a 26 year old 15 minute 5k dude busting up a master woman.

My posting of the Aggies and Fanelli notwithstanding, I tend to view races as competitions, not parades. But, to each their own, I guess.

31:04? Really? Man, at 27 years old that would just make me slink home with tail between legs.

GetBackJoJo said...

Thanks, Mike. :) But I got my just desserts! I think if you dish it you need to take it! haha! You would slink home with a 31, but I would have the biggest fiesta ever if I could ever run that fast.
We missed you and Petra at Brew Run!

Ange said...

Hey!!! Mike made a good point.. I am sorry I haven't stuck up for you on this one yet. I agree @ the smurfs. I don't really care if people choose to dress up..unless I HEAR them! The song was annoying to other racers. We're not out there to put ona show for the specators. It IS a Road Race.... A race. why do they need hand out toys? I don't get that. I guess it irks me at this one too because so so many people want to run it and get shut out on the registration process. To have people take it out to be silly is irritating to me. I don't care how fast anyone is...that's not the point.

Unknown said...

To clarify, Rob was not a smurf, just a smurf supporter. And Jerdog left out the Super Mario Bros from last year.

If you have a problem with it, it’s me you should talk to. I organize the costumes each year and we are just out there to have fun. I realize it is a “race” and people are “competitive,” but no matter what you do you are going to piss off some people. I bet Mary pissed off a ton of guys that got girled by her (beaten by a girl). Every big race has assholes like us, and if we piss you off that might be a good thing. My best races were when I was pissed off. We are out there running just like everyone else, it’s not like we jumped in for the finish or anything. So if you would like to discuss this further, we’ll be there next year. Not sure of the costumes yet, but I’m sure you will be able to pick us out...

Oh, and I agree the song is annoying, but the smurfy goodness came over me and I had to sing it.

GetBackJoJo said...

Thanks, Michael. That was a great comment. I wish it had pissed me off more--maybe I would have run better!
That song is definitely the most annoying theme song ever....:)

Swimming for ME said...

Everyone's got a right to their opinion about a group of blue smurfs in a world class road race weaving in and out of other runners. I was a spectator and wondered what the heck the Smurfs were doing and why I didn't see any race numbers on them. Hmmm... people don't do this in swimming races but then again sometimes we've got "marine life".

Anyways I'm in awe of all you fast runners....

Mike Platt said...

You are nicer than I am, Mary.

That was not much of an apology, swear words and everything. The crux of his argument was since you are going to upset some people anyway why do the right thing. ...Bizzare?

Jerdog's was a reasonable response.
Rob's, well, whether a smurf or not, it was condescending and nasty. But, I doubt he is that kind of a guy. (From and old guy to a young guy: Rob, you should've simply apologized and deleted your post, it would have earned you respect. People do and will know you because of your unusual talent)

Additionally, the "girled" or "chicked" term is just sexist, even when women use it; as if women cannot be good athletes???
My Dad bolted when I was very young. I was the smallest kid in my grade K-12. My Mom taught me to fight and my Grandmother played baseball with me. As it turned out I played 15 years of organized baseball, and I was a High School sectional champion wrestler and golden glove boxer. Yup, all started by girls. If that is what you mean by being girled, then that is what I am.

My suggestions:
If you are a fast runner be super gracious, and be aware of the portion of your talent that is a gift with which you had nothing to do.
Respect all competitors. Don't big-time them, and respect their race within the race.

And when a big race is in town: Woman-up, put on your game face and race the best. Leave the Halloween costumes for the kids.
One of my goals when I was young and in the game was to get good enough to race people that could kick my butt, and then try not to let them.

Great point by Swim for ME, in what other sports do you get to goof off in the middle of the game.

Oh yeah, apologize when you make a mistake.

I am sorry for the long post.