Sunday, October 28, 2007

Revised Schedule

Some people have asked me whether I'm running Boston. 

 I'm pretty sure I am not. The reason is this: If I do run Boston, I will taper for it and then recover from it, which pretty much knocks out the month of April for training. April should be Base time--not time to be tapering and recovering. I'd like to do some longer winter races--like Derry and Stu's--but only as fun training runs with a bunch of other people on tough courses--and not longer than 30K. I loved running Boston last year, but I think it just doesn't fit with my goals for my summer season in 2008. I am committed to choosing my races this winter, spring and summer carefully, to make sure that they each have a purpose that leads me to the larger goal, and also that they are fun and are truly what I want to do. 

I have done many races in the last few years just because friends were running them, or because I just love racing, or just because... I know now that if I really want to excel I must focus and be less random about my training and my racing. 

So here is my new revised schedule (the first of many, I'm sure!) Jan: Frostbite 15k: Why? It's fun, it's early in the season, and it will serve as a test as to where my fitness is. 

Derry 16 Miler: Why? It will force me to get some endurance under my belt, it will serve as a good, hard training run. 

 Feb: Cape Classic 10 Miler: Why? It's in my hometown. I love this race. It will serve as a tempo run at slightly faster than or at 1/2 Iron run pace. 

Andover 10 Miler: Why? I've never done this and I'd like to. 10 Miles is my favorite distance for a race. Again, it will be a tempo run. 

March: Stu's 30K: Why? It's a tough, long training run. It's fun. It falls at a time when I should be building a strong distance base. 

April: Wrentham Duathlon. Why? Good early season test on the bike. 

May: Westwood 2 Mile: Why? A good speed workout. In my hometown. Goes by my house. 

Sudbury Sprint: Why? First tri of the season! Bring it on! 

Gilio 5K: Why? Get my legs moving for the next weekend at Mooseman! 

 June: Mooseman International. Why? Ange and I are both doing it. Should be a great race. Early season test of endurance. 

Old Orchard Beach 5K. This is a maybe. I'd like to use it as a pick me up for Cohasset the following weekend. 

Cohasset Tri at Sandy Beach: Why? Andy's first traithlon! I can't wait for this one. I loved it last year. It's a beautiful venue for a triathlon. 

July:Goose Rocks 5k in Kennebunk Why: on July 4th. I'll be up in Maine. It will be a speed workout. 

Urban Epic Tri. I heard it might be in July this year! I hope! 

Peaks to Portland 2.2 mile ocean swim. Why? Alina and I planned last summer to do this. It's a great endurance swim. I can work on surviving the open water and on sighting! OP 5K I love it. A speed workout. 

August: Maine State Tri. This is a maybe. If I'm tired I won't do it. I should begin the taper for Timberman. 

Timberman! 

September: CELT Challenge. In my hometown. A last hurrah. 

October: Maine Marathon in Portland. My hometown! I've always wanted to run Portland, and next year I will do it! There seem to be too many 5Ks. If I treat them all as speed workouts (or hard tempos) will that work? Also, I don't have any half marathons. Since the 1/2 Iron includes a 1/2 marathon, should I?

2 comments:

Kevin said...

You have a few 10 milers in there. I would not sweat not having a half in there.

Anonymous said...

Good post.