Sunday, December 16, 2007

I Suck on the Bike

And it will be a long, long time before I can say otherwise. 

I am runner first, a swimmer second, and a biker--ummm. Not at all. 

Andy bought me Little Red, as I've come to affectionately call her, last Christmas. I gazed upon her a lot last winter, thinking how attractive (and intimidating) she was, but didn't actually get on her until May of last year. Just looking at those clip-on pedals and those skinny, skinny tires made my heart race (in a terrified way, not an excited way). 

The first time I rode her we went to this area where there is a one mile loop closed to traffic. I rode at about 5 mph, my grip on the handlebars so tight my hands hurt for like an hour after I got off. I fell. And then I fell again. I swore. I panicked. My knees got bloody. I screwed up Little Red's handlebars by falling sideways one too many times. I thought I would never be able to go on the main road, let alone race. But here's the thing: I had already signed up for the Timberman 1/2 Iron in August. Nothing like runner's arrogance , huh? (e.g I run marathons! How hard could 56 little miles on the bike be?) So there was no choice. Little Red and I had to become a team, and I had to learn how to ride. 

I had Jesse make me a plan, and I was off--wobbling a bit--but off. Now that I've been riding Little Red for 8 months, I'm no longer terrified of the main road or of racing (although I'm still a little anxious every time I ride outside). Nevertheless, I always opt to run first, swim second, and avoid biking at all costs. Until now. 

I began working with Cait last week. Now I'm running like 15 miles a week (as opposed to 30-35 I usually run) and I'm on the trainer what feels like 3 hours a day. Today I need to get on for two hours and ten minutes. Argh. So so sosossososo long. We just got about a foot of snow and it's still sleeting outside, so obviously riding outside isn't a possibility. Gotta love New England. I'm supposed to have a cadence of 95 rpm all the time when I'm riding. Um. That's like IMPOSSIBLE. Here's why: if I put it into a normal middle gear, I can't spin fast enough. If I put it into an easy gear, I can spin, but I'm not able to pedal smoothly. Does that make sense? Anybody have any suggestions for me? Is it just one of those practice makes perfect things? 

On another note, I was able to get a night away this weekend. I went out with a good friend of mine to a holiday party in town. I don't usually drink, but hey, it's the holiday season, and I was out SANS kids! So I had like three chocolate martinis. Right. I had to get up to run 60 minutes Sat. morning. It was not pretty. It might have been the longest 60 minutes of my life. Remind me not to do that again any time soon. Definitely. Not. Worth. It.

5 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Hey we all suck at something. But you know what? You are doing it. You are doing something that few people do. God knows I am not the fastest or the skinniest. But I am out there.

You are a hell of a runner, just get on the bike and ride. In stead of people saying it is "just like riding a bike", maybe they should say "its just like sex". It is scary at first, but then its so much fun.

Triteacher said...

Come on! Chocolate martinis not worth it?? :) I have no trainer advice. Mine is still in its original plastic packaging. It's been that way since last May. The way I reckon, the only way it's going to see any biking is if I give it to this colleague who's been hinting, "Since you're not using it..."

But biking once the snow melts, now THEN I'll have advice!

kodiacbear said...

You ARE doing it!!! and everyday you get on that thing You Are Doing It--Ride On!...and I will share your misery on my trainer in the basement with you :)

TJ said...

i'm with you on needing improvement on the bike. i think it's just a matter of sticking with it and staying consistent. eventually, the improvement will come.

Kim said...

i suck at everything! well, not everything, i am really good at eating and drinking! :) anyway, i bought "blue thunder" the end of the tri-season and she has yet to see the pavement. i am terrified for that day when i take her outside. freaking out about not having the drop handlebars like on my old road bike. tri-bikes are SCARY!

so i am on the trainer tomorrow for 3 hours and 1 minute. whats up with that time frame? i do NOT stick to the 95 cadence. i hover around 86-91 because i cannot pedal that fast smoothly or keep my heart rate in the right zone.

god i hate the trainer. i really dont want to get on it tomorrow!