Thursday, December 20, 2007

Part of the Problem...

Is that I am a pastel girl. My favorite color is pink. My blog is a light, airy blue. I like stuffed animals. I like to watch Animal Planet.
Girls who like pastels and watch Animal Planet don't kick ass. They are like that girl in the song Free Falling by Tom Petty: fluffy, walked over, and left.

I am not fluffy, walked over and left, but I feel edge-less.Why isn't my blog edgy and black? Why don't I wear black stilettos? Why won't I get a tattoo, even though I WANT ONE. Why do I apologize so f-ing much? Why can't I deal with conflict AT ALL?

I think the reason (or one of the reasons) I love triathlon so much is because when I race I leave pastel girl behind. I am strong, tough, and I will be damned if I let the dude with the hot bike pass me. I will kick your face off if you touch me in the swim. In short, I am focused, aggressive, and sometimes downright mean when I race, and it makes me feel alive and real and free.

I think I am in need of a merger between my pastel self and my racing self.
I don't want my daughters (or my son, for that matter) to have a pastel woman as mom. How do I let my racing self out of her pastel shell without worrying so much that people won't like me anymore if I do?

I need a long, hard run rocking out to American Idiot and other Green Day rants.

2 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Personally, in college I really stopped caring what people think of me. I enjoy being liked, but if someone doesn't me then I am not going out of my way to cater to them. Just be yourself and stand up for what you believe. Most people want what is right. Even if they don't stand up and say so.

kodiacbear said...

"How do I let my racing self out of her pastel shell?"
Wear hot pink pants so when you pass them they'll remember you:)

Seriously, I think the 'self' is a wonderfully complex animal that needs all of its components to become One. Once your okay with it, everyone else will be too.