Monday, August 11, 2008

I"ve Been Thinking Way Too Much

I’ve been offline for more than a week. It was, at first, rather difficult. I wondered what everyone was up to, how Speedy Claire did at Vineman, whether my favorite blogs to read had been updated and I was missing out. Then I noted that the internet satisfies my need to know things immediately. Questions that popped into my head could not be immediately satisfied. When will the triathletes compete during the Olympics? Who is that author I have read all of and who I know has a new book out, but whose name escapes me? What will the weather be tomorrow? What’s the name of that strange black duck floating on the ocean’s surface—the one who swims in packs and isn’t a loon or a cormorant? (An Eider Duck, it turns out—though I had to look it up in Peterson’s Guide to find out). That type of thing. I also was unable to take care of everyday life business. I have a list a mile long of things I must do when I get online again.

Nevertheless, after several days I became used to it, and I noticed that the sense of urgency and anxiety I carry around with me settled a little bit as a result. The irony is that when we are online we are sedentary and staring numbly at a screen, but that without the internet our minds, if not our bodies, slow down. We can’t know everything immediately and so there is reduced information intake. This is quieting. Life has gone on without us, without me. What’s good to remember, I’m realizing, is that life continues, inexorably and evenly, whether I attend to it or not. Acknowledging this fact is both freeing and morbid.

Okay. I’ll shut up now.

Timberman 70.3, the A RACE, is next weekend. I’ve been trying to put things into perspective. This has taken the form of ironing out why I do triathlon in the first place, and what this race means to me in particular.

My first conclusion:

This race doesn’t mean anything in particular. It is not the sum of everything I’ve done this year. I know it’s a total cliché to say that it’s the journey, not the arrival, that matters, but for me, I think, that it what I’m actually learning. This season I’ve had fun at every race (except perhaps booting at Mooseman), I’ve loved my training, the friends I’ve made, the community I’ve built around me here in Maine, the courage I’ve mustered in order to make these friends and build this community, getting closer to Ange and Alina around the common love of sport, testing myself day after day, and relishing what I’ve trained my body to do. I will have a great day at Timberman no matter what happens, because the race will be a celebration of the discipline and courage I’ve developed in order to make it to the starting line in the first place. I expect that if I don’t flat or crash or trip or something like that, I will crush my time from last year and I will have fun doing it. And if I don’t crush my time from last year, I’m not even sure I will be overly disappointed. How can I be disappointed with the result of one day’s race after the incredible fun and success I’ve experienced this season? This may sound as if I am mentally preparing myself to fail. Actually, I’m mentally training myself to keep the result of any race—this race-- in perspective. It’s impossible to keep it fun if you put too much stock in a single performance—if you give it power and meaning greater than the days that lead you there in the first place.

My second conclusion:

I arrived at conclusion number one by really working at the why of my need and desire to do triathlon. Many people claim to do triathlon because they want to see how far they can “take” their bodies. Some people say they do it because it requires one to maintain a positive, healthy lifestyle. Some people do it because they need a home for their obsession/ compulsion or addiction, and triathlon fits the bill. Some people claim to do it because it forces them to confront pain head it. There are a billion reasons one might do it, I guess. I do triathlon (and before that running) for several reasons, but at core there is one reason that dominates.

Working my body day after day silences, or at least quiets, my critic. I think most people have a critic. He lives inside us and gnaws away. For me, the critic is this core, unshakeable belief that I am indulgent, lazy and stupid, and as a result, I am not worthy—of anything—but most importantly I’m not worthy of being loved. This unshakeable belief is irrational, and from an objective standpoint, I acknowledge that it is, in fact, wrong. But that doesn’t matter. He, this critic, is a part of me, and though I haven’t learned to kill him, I have found ways to quiet him.

Triathlon has me spend hours a day proving my critic wrong. The end of a race is exhilarating because I have so thoroughly given him a beating—shown him that he can fuck off—because look what I’ve done! The problem, of course, is that if I stop triathlon, or running, or whatever, the critic will win. When I think of stopping, panic set in. Also problematic is that one fast 10K, one marathon, one Boston qualifier, one half Ironman, one Ironman—is never enough. The critic is unimpressed. I could be Lance Armstrong or Michael Phelps and my critic would just shrug and say, “Whatever. I saw you cut that last workout short. You and I both know the truth.”

This all sound extremely unhealthy, doesn’t it? I’d feel pitiable except that I’m pretty sure that most of you out there are equally, if not similarly, unhealthy. What I’m working on is the notion that 1. I can get rid of this critic by cognitively disarming him (this has yet to work, but I maintain faith that it might) and 2. Though the critic is mean and terrible and wrong, he has gotten me to do and try some pretty cool things which, in addition to quieting him, are really fun.

Breathing in fresh, sea air on an early morning ride, pounding the pavement so hard and furiously as Joan Jett screeches, “I Love Rock n’ Roll” in my ears, feeling so sad and alive while running in the cool wet of late November, executing a perfect flipturn in the pool or doing a length of fly just because I can, meeting a whole slew of people who are so fun, and healthy and alive…. The list goes on and on.

So, back to Timberman. I will have a great race. I will have a great race because to not have fun, to not rejoice, to not totally savor the amazing thing I’ve prepared my body to do, would be to allow my critic to win. He may have used shame and fear to drive me into this craziness in the first place, but next Sunday I will not allow him to have the last word.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary - this is your best post ever!!!

You are such an inspiration to me. I wish you could see how extremely awesome you are :)

"feeling so sad and alive while running in the cool wet of late November" - wow, I couldn't have said it any better, and truly know what you mean.

I can relate to so much of what you said. Running is my therapy.

I hope you have the race of your life this weekend!!!

mjcaron said...

JEEZUZ..you got really deep. You do have a real knack for saying things that most of us can't really articulate. I hear what you're saying.

I can't believe the A race is next weekend. As usual summer is flying by. Good luck Mary! I'll be thinking about you, and Ang,and Maureen!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Great post! A lot of deep thoughts - but helpful - I always love to read why people do triathlons and commit so much time and energy to one sport, it helps me to better understand myself! Keep smiling race day and you will rock!

Trigirlpink said...

Yup, you don't want the critic at Timberman. Leave him home. It's your day and you will control what you can and what you can't, so be it. If you have a crappy swim, you'll leave it in the water and forget about it! If you flat (god help you)as I did at Patriot Man, you will fix it quick and move on!
Piece of cake! Nothing to ruin you day over!
Pray for SUN! Misty on the run???
woooo hoooo! It's a great race!!

Ange said...

phew, ok, I'm going to have to read that one over and over. Will you write a book, please? Seriously. Write us a book Mary.

Glad you're back. I can't wait to talk.
Thank you for this. I will take it to heart for Sunday.
xoxo Ange

Runner Leana said...

Best of luck at Timberman. I understand exactly what you are saying about the inner critic. I believe mine stems from being a kid when I sucked at running. My phys ed teacher would give me a hard time saying I should be able to do better because I had such long legs. This started a journey to prove that yes, I could do better and I'm not that horribly unathletic kid anymore.

jbmmommy said...

Enjoy Timberman. That sprint was my first triathlon and it's so beautiful. If ever I get up to a 70.3 I hope to do that one. You've been thinking alot, hope you find a way to silence that critic- and then, please share how.

Kim said...

timberman isnt gonna know what hit him. i cant wait to hear all about it. xoxo

Swimming for ME said...

I continue to hold firmly to my beleif that your next career should be writing -- and this blog is just more evidence. You are, and always have been, a pretty amazing writer.

Right about now -- given what I did today -- I should have some pretty insightful comment about how to smash that critic with some nifty cognitive-behavioral techniques. But alas .... not today. Just remember the mantra that has always worked for me.... "I am smart enough, I am good enough and doggoneit people like me", or as Claire adds on.... "And they will still like me" . Love you!

Anniversary Moments said...

I love this post...thank you for sharing such honest thoughts...and oh i can relate to the critic...and for the record, yes, i am checking in to stay caught up on the world of blogs while i am on vacation ;) Have a phenomenal race next Sunday...Timberman watch out...here comes Mary, the IronMatron!

Rainmaker said...

Very well written regarding the critic. I can definitely relate. No matter how well I do - my little critic says "Oh, but look - you could have done better" and "Oh, wait - why stop here?". I wonder like you, at what point my little critic will just shut up and be content with something.

But, like you - I wouldn't be enjoying it so much if it weren't for the critic.

Judi said...

I have that voice too, only it's my addiction telling me to go ahead and eat some pills, smoke some weed, you can do it just once. I tell it to fuck off on a daily basis too.

You are going to rock it Mary. You know you will.

And I for one, am glad you are back online!

Speed Racer said...

"I will have a great day at Timberman no matter what happens, because the race will be a celebration of the discipline and courage I’ve developed in order to make it to the starting line in the first place" BARF! You HAVE been thinking too much!

My critic is a woman. She's mean, too, though. Maybe we should introduce our critics. I think about the stuff that you're talking about in this post a lot. I wonder why I have this thing in me that tells me I always have to go farther, farther, farther, faster, faster, faster, and how all the people around me just don't seem to get it. At all. Most people just don't have goals, or not the kind that take up as much time as a second job. It really seems like some people DON'T have that voice in their head telling them to KEEP PUSHING or else you're a TOTAL LOSER. Take my mom for example. She has absolutely no ambition in anything she does, NOTHING. She loves just coasting through her day chatting with as many people as possible and then waking up the next day to do it again. You have said that you feel guilty because you're always ditching your kids to go off and prove something to The Critic. Let me tell you, though, as someone whose mom doesn't have any ambitions of her own, I would MUCH rather have a mom who was out there, DOING something, and for HERSELF.

Okay, that was a huge tangent. But the point is, have a great race this weekend and kick some ass. I know you will, you know you will.

Unknown said...

Great post... I think mainly because everyone one of us can relate in some way. Just keep having fun, pushing yourself because you enjoy it and don't worry about the critic. he'll be shut up time and time again!

Best of luck this weekend!