Sunday, October 5, 2008

A New Event

I have figured out my new job: race director. I am going to be the race director of a new, exciting series of events that feature swimming and running--but NO biking.

Think about it. You can do the swim and the bike--aquabike. You can do the bike and the run--duathlon. So WTF???? What about the swim and the run--sans the bike? Hmmm? I can finally see my calling. I might also create a series of triathons that looks something like this:

swim--3 miles
bike--5 miles
run--half marathon

or

swim--2.5 miles
bike--2 miles
run--10K

What do you think? I'd sign up, that's for damn sure.

__________________

I am really working and struggling and suffering in my bike and run workouts of late. My running took a major dive this last year, and it's taking time to pull it together again, but I have faith that soon things will fall into place. Biking--well. I am going to kill myself working on the bike this winter, and I will improve, and the bike gods are just going to HAVE to make room for me in their club. That's all.

Swimming and I didn't like each other much for a long time. I overdosed on her in high school, and I didn't come away with any major accolades to show for my overdosing, so I basically kissed her goodbye at age 18 and began an affair with running. I didn't begin taking swimming seriously again until I started up with triathlon, a year and a half ago now. That's an 18 year hiatus.

Eighteen years and swimming and I have made up. In fact, we are officially in love. Everytime I get in the pool I go a little faster.

Today I did a 50 in 35.6 seconds--pushing off the wall. I couldn't believe it.

That is good for me, my friends. My best 50, off the blocks, when I was a kid in high school, was a 30.1. And that was when I was young, nubile, fresh! Of course, I was also 20 pounds heavier and was somewhat lacking in the motivation department....but whatever.

In short.

Thanks, swimming. I'm glad I have you right now.

12 comments:

Speed Racer said...

What a stupid sport! I think the word for it is aquathlon, and I have heard of them, but sheesh, why in the world would ANYONE run when they could ride their bike?! I won't be signing up for your event, but I'll volunteer to hand out water if you want.

Speed Racer said...

http://www.ulster.net/~sosnyta/course.html

Bike 30 mi
Run 4.2 mi
Swim 1.1 mi
Run 5.5 mi
Swim .5 mi
Run 8 mi
Swim .5 mi
Run .7 mi

Ange said...

Oh ME!!! I'd sign up every time. Let's do it girl!!! Yeah baby. Enough of these races with peanut sized swims!! Enough!
Great job in the pool Mary. I'm proud of you and so glad you're lovin' the water. It's always been a safe haven for me.

Swimming for ME said...

Aquathon!! I love it.

And I am so happy that you love swimming now.
I am in love with it too right now. Its the only place
where I truly feel myself.

You will watch my video and get even faster. I promise.

Janette said...

I am a runner, not a triathloner, but I would definitely want to be an aquathoner!

mjcaron said...

I don't know Mary. Why go through all that trouble of getting on the bike if your only going to ride 5 miles? Sheesh.. Plus, it sounds great to you because YOU'RE a great swimmer. However, of course I would sign up if you were the race director.

Anonymous said...

I will fly out from Chicago for it, Mary! It makes me smile when athletes say they have become "friends with swimming" that is the first step in improvement... :) Jen H.

Rainmaker said...

Hmmm... me thinks someone's been spending a bit too much time in the pool. :)

Unknown said...

I'd sign up for something different that's for sure! There's always a market for something new!!! :)

Glad that you and swimming have made up. Maybe you can tell me your relationship secrets?

Nitsirk said...

Sign me up for the first option. I have been waiting for an event like this! I am always at the bottom of the pack for biking, mid-oack for running and then top 10% for swimming. This usually doesn't end up paying off since I watch everyone pass me on the bike.

Hey, let's ditch the bike altogether, think of the $ we'd save!

triguyjt said...

I love it...

it would not penalize the crappy biker that i am..
the longer the swim the better...can we make the swim about 5 miles...and the run 10 miles...i'm in

Paul Taylor said...

Mary,

I'd sign up for any race that puts a stronger emphasis on the swim and less on the bike any day!

Paul

Blog & Store