Thursday, October 16, 2008

October


New England foliage is always spectacularly beautiful. This year it seems brighter than usual. On the way to work yesterday I was startled by a red maple that was so bright red it seemed on fire.

It's a gorgeous season, and also a melancholy one, I think. The weather has been great lately; in the 60s, sunny and clear. Today was gloomy, but really this October has been perfect so far. Still, the leaves turning always makes me sad. They worked so hard, these leaves, from their birth in the spring. They brought energy to their host tree, and they were bright and green and happy all summer. Then, in fall, they become really beautiful for a short while, seemingly just to say "I'm here! Notice me know before I die!" And then they fall. Soon they will be crunchy, brown, crumbling into compost for next year's growth.

I feel my age in the fall.
I've got to keep moving to avoid crumbling.

I'm still riding outside, but open water swimming is over now. It feels as if I should be winding down, taking a break, baking cookies and chilling out.

I'm not. Clearwater is in just about three weeks.

I've been really working to keep focus. Jen has me doing really specific workouts that force me to pay attention to what I'm doing and force me to work. I'm going to make it. It's going to be good.

And then I'm going to sleep for about two weeks straight.
And then I start training for the Big Kahuna. Oh boy! I'm excited and I'm terrified.

I have a half marathon coming up this weekend. I'm running it with a bunch of members from my running club, GNRC. I haven't been in a road race since last winter. It's funny; I think of a half marathon is a pretty substantial race, but really it lasts only a little longer than a longish sprint triathlon. My goal is to take it out at my goal pace for Clearwater and then speed up a little bit every few miles, so I negative split. I'm not expecting a PR. My running has been much better lately, but I don't think I'm close to PRing yet. Soon enough.

11 comments:

That Runner Chick said...

I love fall. It feels like a running season to me. Always makes me crave marathon training! And apple cider donuts, but I can't talk about that!

Swimming for ME said...

I have a similar picture of a bright yellow tree by our house. Sounds like you are doing a good job staying focused. Miss you....

Anonymous said...

I love how you describe fall and the changing leaves. You are such a good writer!

Good luck and have fun at Clearwater and with your half marathon :)

Rainmaker said...

Great photo. And lucky you - get to be enjoying the tri-life in the warm sun!

maria conley said...

Even though the leaves are showing off their beautiful colors, Fall makes me sad too. The days will get shorter & shorter. Winter is around the corner and I don't like it. Good luck this weekend.

Ange said...

I love Fall. I think it's the most amazing season. I always feel fresh and energized. My rides have been stunning lately with the changing leaves...and that is helping me push on during this late season training. I don't think of the sad death of a leaf though....just enjoy the beauty. It's the cycle of life.
GOod luck at your Half marathon!!! Which one? What day?
can't wait to see you on the beach!

Ange said...

I love Fall. I think it's the most amazing season. I always feel fresh and energized. My rides have been stunning lately with the changing leaves...and that is helping me push on during this late season training. I don't think of the sad death of a leaf though....just enjoy the beauty. It's the cycle of life.
GOod luck at your Half marathon!!! Which one? What day?
can't wait to see you on the beach!

Judi said...

Mary! I have been running trails and the leaves are just beautiful! I am doing a 50k trail run on Sunday! I am totally PSYCHED! You will rock that half mary (claire loves it when people call it that) this weekend, you always rock the run. Have fun.

Speed Racer said...

Oh my god, you are SO not a crunchy, dried-up old leaf! You're such a drama queen! I'll want to pick your brain soon about what type of training you feel is bringing you back into PR shape. Because a PR for you is not to be taken lightly, and there was a time when you thought that triathlon meant kissing goodbye to running PRs forever.

Enjoy your time off when it comes!!! Are you really training for the Big Kahuna, or is that just the expression? I did the Big Kahuna and know that course like the back of my hand. I could give you some tips, but for some reason I don't think that's what you're talking about. If it is, though, you know who to talk to! (It's me.)

Speed Racer said...

Just followed the link. Felling like a tool.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Good luck in Florida. I will be pulling for you.