Monday, January 19, 2009

Frostbite 15k Race Report


The race that wasn't.

Eight of us piled into one big truck and headed down to race on Sunday morning. Sure, it had been snowing, sure we could barely drive the snowy roads, sure they weren't expecting the snow to end any time soon.

But we are New England runners--hard core and determined. (and also maybe stupid?) We were sure that any race set for mid-January would go off no matter what. Why else hold a race in January, after all? Of course there might be a little chill in the air, a little snow on the ground, a little ice here and there! But what's 10 inches of driving snow among friends?

Apparently the Rayhnam police did not concur. They shut the race down. We were deflated.

Fuck them. We decided to run the race anyway. We found a few runners from other clubs and set out. The footing was, well, not very good. We were determined, however. We may be running 9 minutes per mile, but we were going to run, damn it!

It was actually very beautiful outside. The snow was the heavy, wet type, and it covered the tree branches in thick clumps. I tried to appreciate it, and the company of other, like-minded crazy people who think it's normal to run 10 + miles in a snowstorm. The snow had really accumulated by the time we had run about 7 miles. It became increasingly difficult to getting footing, and most of us stupidly didn't have yaktraks on (or whatever those things are called). We slipped all over the place, tried not to curse, and finally made it back to the race start.

It was a disappointment not to race. I was feeling the need to suck wind violently and really hurt. However, even had the race gone off I wouldn't have been able to really race it. sad, sad, sad.

I've never wanted to move to the south more than I have wanted to this winter. I'm a Mainer, born and bred, and a little wintertime weather doesn't usually affect me that much. But it's been a bitterly cold and snowy winter so far in New England. And it's only mid-January. We have a long way to go.

Next up: Boston Prep 16 Miler. I haven't run more than 11 at one time since--- ummmmmm. Since a long, long time. This race should be interesting! I'm hoping to finish with my chin up. That would be good.

12 comments:

Ange said...

I'm so sorry the race was canceled. that is so disappointing. :( It has been so cold lately...I've had beach fever myself and I typically love winter too. It's great you got a nice snowy run with friends in though!

maria conley said...

I was sad when I saw all those cars driving off the road to the school. Then I got excited thinking that the parking lot was full. The show must go on, but deep inside me I was saying there is no way they will cancel this race. After all this is the Frostbite. The name pretty much tells it all, but we have ran this race in much worse condtitions before. Thanks for your company.

Swimming for ME said...

It might be January but the days are getting longer and we are on the upswing.... only 3 months to spring break!

It really was a beautiful storm and I'm glad you took the opportunity to enjoy it.

Better luck on the next race...

Tyler Ross said...

Wow...just wow..
All of my friends tell me im crazy for biking or running in 40* weather...and call me mental for racing under 32* when there is no wind, clear skies, and the sun in shining. Your weather stories so far trump mine that i feel like a little kid...this post should be filed under BAD ASS in the dictionary..FUCK THAT, I wanna be sucking wind violently...thats iron

Kim said...

grrr that's annoying mary - im sorry :( but at least you made the most of it and still ran!!!!! i ran about 8.5 today wearing my yaktraks, and they were my savior! you will still kick ass at the boston prep!

Jennifer Harrison said...

OH NO! I am so sorry, Mary! We have that happen all the time here too! :) SORRY, glad you had a nice run w/ friends!

Bob Almighty said...

Sadly live in CT, which you Mainers must compare to Miami Beach :) but I'll agree this winter has sucked especially becasue for the last month we've had back to back to back weekend snow storms. I too ran in the snow this weekend and as much as I gripe about winter I remember that what ever doesn't kill us only makes us stronger..afterall you know you're from New England when it's 60F and your not wearing arm warmers..and you laugh at the Californians/ Floridians griping at how frigid it is.

This weekend's supposed to be a little cool but clear, a great weekend for running and biking.

triguyjt said...

we might complain about the cold...but there is nothing better than to get in a solid..hard run in tough cold conditions and then relax at home....
its actually renewing...

Michelle said...

Oh Mary! I had a fellow Highlander (Winchester, MA running club) who braved the storm and showed up as well - he was SERIOUSLY bummed. However, unlike you, he and his buddies headed straight to the power breakfast place they usually hit post-race. You get WAY more bad-ass points. WAY.

Speed Racer said...

Hard core and determined? Yes. Stupid? Definitely. If you were able to enjoy a run like that, then I am mistaken in thinking that our minds work alike. I'm actually kind of praying for another snow storm this weekend so that Derry will be canceled, but it's just my luck that it's just going to be bitterly cold, no snow. I'm sure you'll love it!

You are one tough cookie, and I'm sorry you didn't get to kick the shit out of yourself like you wanted (needed) to last weekend. There will be more opportunities, I hope. And we're already halfway through winter, right? Right???

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Way to still bust your a** out there in the snow! Update us on the next race!

Judi said...

"We may be running 9 minutes per mile, but we were going to run, damn it!"

Watch it - that's MY pace!