Monday, March 2, 2009

Triathlon and Looks: A Mid-Life Reflection

I appreciate the male triathlete body.

I appreciate it on many levels. A body that's been working at triathlon for several years is generally quite taut and sports a nice ass, it generally belies its years, and it generally performs exceptionally well no matter what's thrown its way. A male triathlete body can often negate other, less desirable characteristics (in terms of looks) like an average face, thinning hair, too much hair or nasty feet. A really smoking triathlete body can even negate icky personality traits like vanity, smarmyness or geekiness.

This is all true of the body of the seasoned male triathlete.

Many of these things are also true of the seasoned female triathlete. She will likely have a taut body with a nice ass, she will often look younger (at least her body will) than she is, and she often will kick the ass of any non-triathlete male that challenges her. All good.

However.
Unlike the male triathlete, the female triathlete still doesn't necessarily come out on top in the world of desirability. I try to explain this to my non-triathlete women friends who will not shut the fuck up about how nice it must be to be thin. Yes. It is nice to be thin. But that still doesn't mean hotness. This is why:

One, female triathletes are too busy working out to do anything but maintain their bodies
and two, the body of the female triathlete, unlike the male, actually takes a few hotness hits by training too much.

Let's start with the latter. Unlike males, whose chests get bigger when they train in the right way, female chests get smaller and muscular. Female triathletes often have no tits and the tits they do have are on top of rather strong pectoral muscles. Likewise, the curvaceousness of the female body is often lost with a loss of body fat. The really super fit female triathlete often looks more like a very strong pre-pubescent boy than a woman. In short, the really fit female triathlete would not make the cut in the song Baby Got Back.

Like most of you, I spend, right now, between 8-14 hours a week training. As I get closer to IM, that will increase to as much as 20 hours a week. Also like you, that means that I spend every waking moment that I am not working or taking care of my kids at the gym, the pool, on the bike or out running.

This leaves no time for the following things that women my age in my world take the time to do:

get a
manicure
pedicure
wax
shave well and consistently
shop for flattering and fashionable clothing
get a
hair cut
hair dyed or foiled or whatever they do nowadays
wear a watch other than an Ironman Timex.

Further, all of the female triathlete's extra money is spent not on
cool clothing
cool shoes
cool purses
hot underwear
nice jewlery
all of which could make her look hotter

but on

work out attire
running shoes every three months
energy gels, drinks, bloks etc
swim suits
triathlon accurtrements
bikes
wheels
race entry fees
triahtlon camps
coaching

I would not change a thing. I like my pre-pubscent boy body and my hang nails and my totally nasty toes.
And I love my body because it allows me to do something I love.

I don't work out a billion hours a week so I can be hot. Working out a billion hours a week does not make a female hot. I may be shallow, but I'm not that fucking shallow.
The women who I want to read this will never read it.

There's the rub.

23 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Officially on the list of hilariously awesome rants. Nicely done!

Laurel said...

Just stumbled onto your blog this morning and it is awesome! Several years ago, at the last race my EX husband came to, he stated after the race "all the hot women are at the back of the pack." Well, as I said, he's my EX now. Love your blog, I'll be back.

Kim said...

1. i think you are smoking hot with a fantastic tri-body :)

2. i don't have the typical triathlete body and i cant tell you how much it sucks. my boobs just aint going away :( i cant wear the cute little tops that you teeny tiny fit ladies can fit into.

3. to me, SOME of male triathletes bodies are hot - there is a huge part of me that really hates that ethiopian look from being on the core for 30+ years :)

Rebecca DeWire said...

I am loving your blog and have totally been relating to all of your posts. It is so true that there is a lot of maintenance that goes along with being a woman, and that is one of the first thing that gets axed when training begins.

Swimming for ME said...

Um hello? you have body dysmorphia. you are hot! and besides I don't work out a billion hours a week or anywhere even close to 20 or 8 or 14 and I still don't have time to shop for fashionable clothes let alone clean the toilet or small piles of dried food bits piled up on the corners of the floor in the kitchen.

The problem is where we live I am convinced.

mjcaron said...

lol.. you are to funny. This did NOT make my day :). I happen to think that the female athletic body IS actually hot when in a state of extreme fitness. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess!

Speed Racer said...

No hott male triathlete body can undo the turn-off factor of tri-geekiness.

No serious male triathlete should be too hairy. Aren't male triathletes supposed to shave body hair more than women?

I think that little boobs and big pecs are WAY hotter than big boobs. Big boobs make girls look fat. I have friends who complain when they lose weight that "they're losing their boobs", and all I think is, 'Thank god, I hope so! You have about 5 lb of boob and 20 lb of the rest of you you could spare!'

But yeah, dead on about people who talk about "how lucky you are to be thin." Luck has nothing to do with it. And body image has nothing to do with trying to get one's strength-to-weight ratio up either.

Androgyny is hott anyway.

Kim said...

wow speedracer - big boobs make girls look fat?!! i resent that remark!!!

greyhound said...

If this were court, I'd strike your expert opinion for lack of expert qualifications. I, on the other hand, have a lifetime of girl watching to make me much more qualified on this topic.

Given the choice between the hot athletic chick and the runway model, I take the athlete every time. Whatever one's genes or curves or clothes or cup size, fit is the sexiest any body type can be.

GetBackJoJo said...

Kim. You have great boobs. I love them and I'm envious. And you aren't fat.
;)

GetBackJoJo said...

That's so nice, Greyhound! I'm gonna cry!

triguyjt said...

mary...you do not hold back...way to rip into it....

Michelle said...

Love this!!!!! And UGH on the "lucky to be thin" comments. We work our ASSES off (literally) - luck has nothing to do with it.

And Greyhound, you rock. :)

Ulyana said...

I recently went to a running store to buy shoes and they had all this equipment to check out your feet. The guy who was helping me to look at my bare feet... and they are fugly, at the least... It's been a long time since I got a pedicure.

Women triathletes usually have incredible skin.... And I do think you get hotter as you get more and more fit... but, of course, there are extremes.

Judi said...

i loved this post!

and you can have a bubbleishios ass mary. you probably do have a bubble butt from hills and cycling. and better to have that than a sagging ass most of the women "who will never read this" have.

and i'll take my flat chest over big boobs that just get in the way ANYDAY.

Judi said...

p.s. male triathletes sometimes look like heroin addicts to me. especially the fast ones. i'd rather have a body building cyclist like dominic.

Kurt P. said...

GREAT post mary!

Amanda said...

I LOVE this!!! Isn't it this type of thinking that keeps us seeking perfection (in the way of speed and form and function)? And greyhound has a point... i think the men that we triathlete chics are attracted to tend to be attracted to us types though, so let's just believe we're hot even if it's not in the traditional sense.

Eric said...

Your description of the female triathlete's body "like a very strong pre-pubescent boy than a woman", makes me really uncomfortable with the fact that I really like the way female triathletes look.

I'm confused now.....I think I need to go watch an after school special :-)

GetBackJoJo said...

Eric, that is fucking hysterical. great comment.

Fe-lady said...

Love this....too bad it can't be published say, in "Glamour" or Seventeen mag. (without the "f" word)-
but yeah. I hear you. And I really don't have to-been in the sport for 27 years. And counting. And still lovin' it!

Karin said...

Found your blog through The Marathon Mama, and I love it! Give me an athletic female body anyday. The skinny chicks can just go away...

Sara Cox Landolt said...

Thanks for a fun read! Yes people watching on race day is always entertaining. :-)