Saturday, May 8, 2010

Tri Sprouts Triathlon Race Report and Other Stuff

This morning Jordan competed in her first triathlon. She was a rockstar out there. I'm basically bursting over with pride.
The triathlon was designed for kids -- with a 50 yard swim in an indoor pool, a one mile bike, and a 1/2 mile trail run. They placed the kids into five different heats based on age. Jordan was in the third heat with the 16 other 7 and 8 year-olds who were competing.

Here she is before the swim.

 Jordan has been swimming with a USA team called the AAC, a club which she had to try out for, and which is pretty competitive. Since she joined she's become a very strong swimmer.  I knew (and she did too) that she'd likely win the swim portion of the race. They pushed off and Jordan quickly took the lead. She did a fast flip turn at the wall, and extended her lead by a lot. I was just tickled and so proud, and also cheering like a crazy woman. She finished in 41 seconds. That's damn fast for a kid who is eight, and who didn't even start from the blocks!

 I know you can't see her at all, but she's the tiny purple dot half way across the pool. The pool looks empty because she is so far ahead of everyone else. The rest of the crowd was still finsihing the first length.

Things didn't go quite as smoothly after the swim. She ran outside to transition, but it was POURING when she came out, and I think it threw her off a bit. She padded her way over, but then really struggled putting on her shirt, shorts and sneakers, because they were soaking wet. In transition, a girl caught up to her who had decided to just compete in her bathing suit and to forgo struggling into wet clothing. Finally Jordan was able to get on her bike, and she took off. The bikes at kids' races are awesome. There were baskets and fat tires--even a few training wheels! Jordan has a Trek Stormy-- a mountain bike that weighs about fifteen tons.

Lara and I stood by the Bike In and waited for Jordan to get back. We got soaked, but it was still great fun. Lara cheered for all the competitors streaming by.
Here she is! You can see how wet it was!
After struggling a bit to find where she was supposed to rack her bike, she was out on the run. She was in second place for the 7-8 years, and I screamed, You have this Jord! as she scrambled out. She just smiled and put her thumb up. So cute. She ran fast, and finished the 1/2 mile run in 4:07. Not too shabby!

She got a big medal and we went out to Bertucci's to celebrate. She had a great time racing, and wants to compete again, so I'm looking for more kids' tris for the summer. In the meantime, she'll compete in the pool. She has a meet tomorrow, and will swim the 100 free, 50 back, 50 breast and 50 fly. It will be an awesome Mom's Day present to watch her.  I love racing-- but really, I love watching my kids race more. I can't tell you what the pride is like--. It's just awesome.
 _____________________________

I've had two good rides this week. My weeks, lately, seem to be measured against the backdrop of biking. If I have a few good ride? Good week. A few bad rides? Breakdown. Mrs. Z holds the ropes these days. She has so much power over me, and I know she is just loving it, the brat.

She was good to me this week, though. We had a fast ride on Monday which picked up my confidence a bit after last week's fiasco ride. I felt strong after my days off and I only had to ride for three hours, which seems like a short jaunt these days.  Even my T-run felt great.

Then ,on Thursday, I did a super long ride of 115+ miles.  I was supposed to do 120, but a few wrong turns and come commuter traffic sort of wrecked my goal mileage. I was actually nervous to start this puppy. What if I sucked just as bad as last week? What if I crashed and burned again?

When riding long I have to load up Mrs. Z like a pack horse. I had five bottles, countless bars, salt tabs, phone, money, credit card, a couple mini-bagels with pb & j, tubes, tools, co2... I started as early as I could, because getting it all in before the kids get off the bus is tough. Sometimes that fact truly stuns me. I get them on the bus, jump on my bike, ride all day, and then jump off the bike and get them off the bus. And it's not like they have half days...

I actually left even earlier than the bus this for this ride. I left the kids with a friend and hit the roads at 8 a.m. What I forgot was the fact that 8 a.m. = commuter traffic. I tried to take a few new back roads, but ended up on dirt paths. Not good. In an hour or so I got clear, and headed west. Into the wind. And it was slow. And hilly. And I doubted.

But I trucked on. and on. through town after town. At one point there was a thunderstorm and the rain pelted me so hard I caved and held out in a Dunkin Donuts for a bit. But it passed, and I went on, steam oozing off my body and clothing as the day warmed up again and I dried out.

At one point I took a wrong turn and ended up going into farm country I had never seen before. I was a little bit despondent when I realized how far I'd come on the wrong road, especially since this wrong road had included about hundred killer hills. To reset my bad attitude I decided to get off the bike and pee. I found a wood patch off the road. I remember thinking it was probably full of poison ivy.
Mental note: if you think you are heading into poison ivy, find another place to piss.

This patch is on my hip. WTF? How did it get on my hip? I know it doesn't look that bad, but it itches like a m-f-er.
After my reset piss, I turned my bike around, not knowing I had just exposed myself to the IVY, and headed back down the hills I had ascended while on my wrong road. I got going FAST--like 40 mph fast.
And then I saw a pit--a huge sand pit and I had to MOVE over or direct hit direct hit! but I couldn't because there was a truck coming fast in the other direction and the road was narrow (as I said, farm country, winding roads) and I was FUCKED. I flew into the hole and my whole bike slammed and then jumped! I unlclipped, and ended up, somehow, upright. My heart was thudding like a hammer. The truck blazed off into the distance. Then I looked down. My handlebars! They were pointed down! I also noted I had lost two bottles--and the liquid in them. fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.
I couldn't get the handlebars back up. They were wedged down, and I didn't have the right sized Allen wrench to fix them. (stupid). I retrieved my bottles, sighed, and got on Mrs. Z. I'd just have to ride the rest of the way with my bars pointed toward the ground. No problem! So I looked like a tool and I had to sit straight up. No biggie. I was at mile 80. Forty miles to go.

Then my thirst kicked in. Problem is, I was short on time. Had to get to bus. Had to get to bus. Two hours and counting and where was I? How far did I have to go? No time for a water stop. NO TIME. I admit towards the end I started battling with myself. Water or kids? Water...... please water..... I thought of the stewardess on a plane reminding her passengers that they need to put the mask on themselves before their spawn... water water water water. 

So why was this a good ride you ask? Because I finished it (without water). And I wasn't unhappy. I wasn't defeated. I got home, finally, and did a very short t-run before racing to the bus stop. I got my kids, and they offered to finish up my t-run with me. It was cute. We went another six minutes.

The end.

20 comments:

mjcaron said...

Hi Mary.. glad you got in a great long ride.. you are getting stronger and stronger.

It's great that Jordan is enjoying sports. I think it's so healthy for kids.

Unknown said...

Man, this post had my emotions going all over the place! High point: your cute daughter giving you the thumbs up sign and running in the rain, LOVE IT! Low point: almost crashing. Happy ending: when you had fun with your kids and making it to the bus stop on time.
Entertained once again!

Michelle Simmons said...

I can only imagine how proud you are of Jordan. Awesome! And nice job getting through your own ride there too... You know, sometimes Ironman is all about getting through those obstacles that you don't foresee (handlebars pointing down!) but just adapting and moving forward. So nicely done.

John said...

Yay Jordan!

donna furse said...

I was hoping that your ride went well, great job. And how cute is your daughter, 8 years old and swimming a 41 sec 50, good lord, watch out Mary she's coming for you.

MaineSport said...

I remember Nick's first race in Worcester where you could help the kids get dressed after the pool. Christine started drying him off, etc, etc. I told her to cut it out, put his shoes on and said "GO!" As for your ride, please be careful out there.

Ange said...

I'm SO SO SO PROUD OF JOrdan!!! 41 is Damn fast! wow.LOVE IT!
And be careful!! scary @ pothole. :(

Ewa said...

WTG Jordan! I just love to see kids do sports and have fun moving.
Poison ivy is not fun. I seem to be quite immune but mt hubby had the worst case when we lived back East (in CA we have poison oak). Whatever you do, make sure you don't spread it to other parts of your body.
And your long ride, what an adventure!

Running and living said...

Wow, Jordan is amazing for going in out in the weather we had today. I know plenty of adults who would have skipped a race. She's got great genes, what can I say, a little chip off the still young block! And next week it is your turn, you are going to fly in Florida!

Anonymous said...

You just made a deposit into the "WANT TO" bank!! Awesome job!!

Marit C-L said...

Your daughter is a ROCKSTAR!! Awesome, and in her very first triathlon as well. ha! I would be MORE than happy to run a 4:07 half right now... And hooray for good rides. At this point, you're just putting in the mileage...some rides won't be fun - but the fact that you're DOING them will make all the difference in the world. Happy Mother's Day!

cheryl said...

oh man, you have some bad luck on your rides lately, better to get it out of the way now though!

fun to see Jordan racing, way to go Jordan!

Jennifer Harrison said...

LOVE watching the kids excel in sport....Jordan is so cute and what a great job she did!!!! Love it. And, the weather was not the best, I see either!!! WOW!

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

GoBigGreen said...

Yeah for Jordan! That is super. And you my friend, you are my role model for long rides solo:) Glad you are ok and glad your training is coming together. You should feel quite ready for IM!

Trisaratops said...

Glad you are OK!

YAY for Jordan! She takes after her mommy for sure!

Adrienne said...

I love the story about Jordan! She is such a little inspiration!

runningyankee said...

what a super star!!! she is definately a little YOU. how cute!!! i'm sure she did fantastic at the swim meet too. great mothers day present :)

Unknown said...

Don't you love/hate all the scary things that can happen to you when you're riding your bike? Sometimes I think I'm crazy to be out there going that fast, with crazy-huge cars and trucks zooming by, on such a spindly little thing as a racing bike. I'm glad you made it. And I totally know that feeling of racing back because you have to get your kids. So panicky - it's like some terrible mothering hormone kicks in and makes everything that much more stressful.

Loved the write-up of your daughter's first tri. My two girls (ages 11 and 8)are swimming in a meet this weekend too. I've got to find a kids' tri for them.

Kim said...

grr, i thought i commented, but apparently not.

um yes jordan swims faster than me. and she's 8. that's rockstar fast. she is certainly following in your speedy footsteps!

im so glad you are okay from that ride. how scary!

Michelle said...

Awwww - I actually love the bike story, even though it sort of sucked (ok, more than sort of....). Way to persevere out there!!!!

And what a GREAT Jordan race report! The kids have been racing for a few years now, and it is so amazing to watch them. SO CUTE!!!!! Two good ones we usually do are the Lincoln Kids Tri, this year on June 26, and the Haunted City Jr. Tri in Salem on Aug 7. The Lincoln race is a pool swim, but the pool is outdoors, which is pretty cool. The Salem race is an OWS in a VERY protected inlet sort of thing, and the kids can stand up at any time - they run the swim parallel to the shore. They both are great, but in particular, Salem is REALLY REALLY fun. It totally feels like a real tri. Lauren placed in her AG two years ago (at 5 yrs old, in the 5-6 AG!), with, get this, TRAINING WHEELS!!!!!!! I don't think I stopped smiling for a solid week. :)

Karen Smyers is one of the main organizers of the Lincoln race, and she's always there announcing finishers and announcing the awards ceremony. It's cool rubbing elbows with her - I have to be careful not to make an ass out of myself when I see her.