Wednesday, June 22, 2011

You Say It's Your Birthday!

It's my birthday too, ya!

Okay.. what's weird about today is that I know many many who share this b-day. One is Molly. If you get a chance go and say Happy Birthday on her blog, and also wish her the best at IM CDA this weekend!

So, I continue my trend of not posting often.

I think you might be actually grateful about this if you knew how boring the contents of my brain are of late. Mostly I think about the cracks, and how many things are close to falling through them. The minutiae one must remember come the end of the school year (especially when one has three elementary kids) is quite astounding. Field trips for which one must prepare bag lunches, sunscreen and a water bottle for field day, the piano concert, the band concert, the final soccer game to which you must bring Popsicles, thank you cards for teachers, teacher gifts, bus driver gifts, birthday parties galore (for which you must get presents), end of the year poetry readings, or book sharing, or the end of the year class party to which you are invited! Man, it's relentless and intimidating. I feel at any moment I will forget something.... and appear the negligent parent with the poor, lost neglected child.

Then there's Lara's bday, my mom's bday, Father's Day, my sister's bday, my bday... training camp next week -- must pack! and then train train train train ... the hours are UP THERE as I move toward the final build for IMLP. And the dogs have kennel cough, and Hazel ate a plate of brownies and was literally up ALL night barking and going bananas, as if she had just snorted Coke or something.... etc etc and so on.

So, there you have the contents of my brain.

Last weekend we went to Maine to celebrate my mom's birthday. I will add here that she is basically the hottest 70-year-old you will meet. Really. She's always been pretty, but she is also in shape and sharp, and just all around amazing in the smoking grandma department.

Here are a few photos from the weekend. I'm a little dismayed at how my super cool empire waist dress makes me look slightly pregnants. But other than that, these are some good pics of the Holts.


Andy and Lara

Andy and Me


AJ, my brother, Jordan, my brother, Dad, Mom, Laura, my sister, me, and Christina, my sister

We had a nice little party for mom, and took pictures to document how awesomely cute all of our children are...

And I had a nice run up in Maine. Nothing like the smell of honeysuckle and salt water. Just awesome.

In other news, I dyed my hair brown. It was blondish/gold for a long time, and the thing is, I was just sick of it. I figure I'm nearly at the time when I can no longer just have BROWN hair, b/c I am just starting to find white hairs here and there (okay FINE, I have been finding them for quite awhile now!). Soon, I will have to highlight to hide all of the white. You know?

These are the kinds of things I think about... 
truly vacant.

And now, it's time to finish drinking my burnt coffee, and then get my ass out on the bike before the half day bus roars to a stop in front of my house and lets off my little wonders. 

One last thing, Hazel's licking Ernie's privates as he lies there in ecstasy. Seriously, he is lying on his back, paws in the air, head back and mouth open. She's literally slurping. This is disturbing to me.
I figure I should leave you with at least one distinct image before you click on out of here... :)

And Happy 41 to me!





12 comments:

Kim said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY!!! (and to your mom, and lara, and your sister...!!!)

Jill said...

Woohooo - have a fantastic birthday today!! And I am LOVING those awesome family pics!! :)

Swimming for ME said...

In your honor and in an effort to celebrate from far away, I have afixed a faux tattoo on my ankle. I MISS YOU!!!! Happy Birthday my friend.

Petraruns said...

but no photo of the slurping? i was scrolling down to have a good look.

your family DOES look gorgeous and you do NOT look pregnant (saw the ones on FB too) and good going there on so far riding across the cracks. i think most of us are like that except the moms who aren't and show us up. hiss!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, you're in good company.

maria conley said...

Happy birthday, Mary!! You look fabulous with your little dress.

Jennifer Harrison said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY! :) Enjoy your bike ride !

donna furse said...

you are friggin hysterical, I almost peed my pants reading that last paragraph. I too have not posted much, so much craziness going on in my life I cant keep my brain together. I hope all is well, where is training camp?

mtanner said...

Happy Birthday Mary! Enjoy-

mjcaron said...

I didn't realize you poor mothers had so many obligations just to send the school year. I was tired reading that last. lol.

Running and living said...

Happy Bday! You are one fast, smart, hot babe! I would love to read more about your training though I can see how you might not want to also write about it, given the current volume!

tri like mary said...

Happy belated birthday Mary!!