Sunday, July 3, 2011

Lemons

The last few weeks have been on the rough side  for moi.
I'm struggling. I'm under a rather severe lemon attack. These lemons are pummeling me; burying me. I can't seem to escape and come up for air--and I feel very bruised.

The timing off this is not auspicious. In three weeks I plan to compete in Ironman, and my plan is to do well. The lemon problem has sidelined me a bit.
This is not to say I haven't been completing the prescribed training. Oh! But of course I have! It's more that my head is in cloud-ville... I'm not focused as I should be. And I'm sad. Generally I don't write when I am sad. Forgive me for not updating my blog -- like at all -- in the last few weeks.

_________________________________________
Enough on that.

I went to a training camp in Lake Placid last weekend. We rented a gigantic house. It was awesome. Being away from home helped me to focus on my workouts--and WORK OUT WE DID. On Thursday night we went for an hour swim. I love Mirror Lake--especially when it is not thick with Ironman competitors, but placid and serene instead. Then we went out to eat and I had a big yummy beer--I think it was some sort of brown ale--and this sweet potato burrito thing which was scrumptious.

The next morning we rose early so we could ride 112 miles of the course and complete a transition run. For the first loop I rode with Ange. We chit-chatted the whole way, and drafted off Kurt for most of it.

The second loop we separated so that we could each ride at our own IM watts and practice riding well--low VI, in aero, focused. Ange rode away from me in a matter of minutes (no shock there! ha!) and I was on my own. I managed to ride quite well. I kept to my watts and tried to ride smoothly. I find the LP course a challenging course on which to ride well. The first part is slightly up, but then DOWNNNNNN for so so so long, and you average like 50 watts. Then it is rolling for quite a long time and then UPPPPPP for 11 miles or so. On the 11 mile stretch it's hard to ride within your prescribed watts because of the constant climbing.  Getting off the bike I was MUCH more shot than I had hoped to be. I did manage to run for a bit, though, even though it was not as fast or quite as far as it should have been. 

We went out to dinner again that night and I again had a tasty beer. I allowed myself a beer every night of camp. YUM.

On Wed. we did a swim time trial in Mirror Lake. Kurt divided us into two groups--those who swim slower than 30 minutes for a half, and those who swim faster than that. I didn't know with whom to go. I swim just about exactly 30 minutes for a half. I decided to swim with the fast group so I could practice trying to stay on their feet at the GO! and so I would have people to chase throughout the swim. Well, let me just say... that was a flop! the fast group went off and I only hung on for about 5 seconds before I was toast and they were gone in a flurry of splash! I still had a good swim, though.

After the swim we rode one loop of the course easy, and then did a transition run. Even though the ride was easy, I was still totally pooped. I wanted a nap, not another ride! When we got home I disobeyed the recovery protocol and jumped in the hot tub. That was heavenly....
We then went out to eat and I had the yummiest Oatmeal Stout. I'm fantasizing about that beer right now....

On our final morning we ran 20 miles of the course. The first ten were to be easy, the second ten much harder. I must admit  I did not feel too chipper at the start of this run. 20 millllllessssssss owwwwwwww. But it was fine. I ran with Amy, a PBM coach and a great runner, and we chatted most of the way, which made the first 10 miles fly by. Thanks, Amy. The second ten we picked up the pace considerably, and there was no more chatting! I stayed with Amy until mile 18. Then my right knee, which has been a little sore lately, started to really hurt. I think it's tendonitis of some of the tendons surrounding the knee. A doctor at our training camp (Peter) thinks it bursitis. Whatever-- it hurt, and it slowed me way down, and I had to let Amy go. I've been babying it, and I think it will be okay. (I hope.) Stupid overuse injuries. Humph.

I followed up this weekend with a pretty substantial week of training. Until now, I had never completed two centuries + in one week. I've also never run two 20 milers in a week. Suprirsingly, the old body held up. Now I'm letting her rest a bit.

Send me good loving and hugs to get rid of the lemons, okay? Thanks.

18 comments:

Jennifer Harrison said...

HI MARY!!! oh you know I will send some love! Feel better - de-tox the brain and mind and enjoy the last few weeks of training before Placid and have some more beer! :)) AND funny...my blog title was, "Making Lemonade" out of lemons....so we all have tough cycles - hang tough!!!! :)

John said...

{{anti-lemon hugs]] :) :)

Caratunk Girl said...

Hey Mary, I think beer squashes lemons.

Sounds like a solid 4 days in LP.

Enjoy the taper.

Swimming for ME said...

Lemons smell good and go well with ginger. Let's have a lemon cooking festival next week!

mjcaron said...

This must be the toughest part of all. You can only get stronger now.

ShutUpandRun said...

I'm glad that we agree beer is an essential part of training.

I am in awe of how much you guys did. Cannot imagine. You give me hope.

kT said...

Is this like the 3rd blog I've read recently with lemons in the post? So hey, I think Australians like to mix lemonade with beer. Only by "lemonade" I think maybe they mean Sprite, but whatever. Hang in there, ice the knee (she says from citrus-y experience), and you'll be awesome at LP.

OK, my word verification is "lemon" but with a different starting letter, which makes it look like someone spelling-challenged is trying to be obscene.

Running and living said...

Hi Mary! I think I have a hunch as to where the lemons are coming from. But I think it is all a perspective, perception kinda deal combined with the fatigue of all this amazing training you are doing. How freaking awesome that your body is handling all this work, that you are meeting interesting folks (even though some are faster right now), and learning a lot. You are going to see a huge PR at Lake Placid! The knee will be OK! Almost there Mary! And thanks for posting about your training:)

Linda said...

Oh, hug hug!
If you can fit it in, a yoga class will help with the sadness. But beware - apparently we hold a lot of emotions in our hips... Did an intense hip stretch in class today (half pigeon, ouch!) and I almost left the room because it brought tears to my eyes!
Hang in there - youre gonna rock LP! And you lucky duck getting in such quality training on the course!
xoxo

Shewearscrazywell said...

So...I must say, your quite an inspiration! I am a brand new follower and very happy I came across your blog. I am 31, recovering from spine issues...and just started on my road to being fit again. I lost 15 lbs last month, but still have far to go. It really helps me to see very active strong people who push themselves to do extraordinary things. My biggest goal right now is to get under 200 lbs. I am gonna get there this month...I will continue to look to your blog for encouragement through seeing all the amazing things you do! I hope you feel better! Hearts, Janna Lynn

mtanner said...

Huge hugs from Cali! Don't fret you will do awesome! Believe it and just trust in it!

liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
liz said...

I think you are amazing! And I think you will CRUSH it on IMLP. I also totally understand the sadness when getting toward the end of something big and important. I always feel that way--something about accepting what is instead of what I fantasized would be--but then it always turns into determination right at the last minute. All the best athletes I've known have some freak out 95% of the way toward the big event. You've willed yourself to do something huge. You are so mentally tough. Rest up and go get it.

Unknown said...

Great job on the training at LP. Those lemons will clear up in no time :o)

Kim said...

way to kick some butt at IMLP camp!

im with you on the lemons. everything is coming up sour.

Swimming for ME said...

double what liz said...

A Prelude To... said...

I'm with Mandy...Beer trumps lemons!

Just found your blog...wishing you all the best in the remaining time of training and on race day!

Cindy said...

Hi From Seattle, a training camp sounds great! Beer is my recovery drink too.