Thursday, March 1, 2012

Gone Fishing

Actually, I don't fish.
And anyway, it's winter. And I definitely don't ice fish, though I did grow up in Maine, where people do, in fact, go ice fishing.

My very very very first boyfriend sometimes went ice fishing. And duck hunting. And in the summer he lobstered. He had these extremely tall rubber boots he would wear to school sometimes after a morning of duck hunting. I loved those boots. Why did I love those boots?

Anyway.
I can't think of a suitable excuse as to why I haven't been blogging lately. So I will leave it as Gone Fishing.

I did write an article for a new online publication called Sparrow Magazine. My friend Emilie (editor) invited me to write it, and I am grateful. It turned out as I wanted it to, in the end, although there were moments when writing it that I wondered what the hell I was saying and where I was going with it. Anyway, thank you, Emilie. I have tried and tried to convey in my writing why triathlon is so important to me. It is hard to convey because it sort of defies logic. Why would I want to add more to an already overwhelming and busy life, and why would I take a "hobby"-so incredibly seriously?

http://www.sparrowmagazine.com/issue03/sharp-turns/

Here it is.

8 comments:

Ewa said...

I think we all go through periods when we don't feel like blogging, and that's just fine.
Whenever you are ready to post, we are here.

GoBigGreen said...

The Ice fisherpeople in MN have been very disappointed with our winter:) They werent even able to put their "houses" and i do mean that ( beds, kitchens, its nuts) out on the ice.
Tangent comment i know:) glad you are back!

Kim said...

ive missed you friend - but then again ive been gone too. love the article.

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Another nice one, Mary! I think a lot of women give up their dreams once the kids come; you have certainly found a way to make yours happen! Nice to see you published:)

A Prelude To... said...

LOVED IT! What a great article. Thanks, Mary! I totally needed to be reminded of some things today (mostly that this crazy busy life was ALL of MY choosing)!

Emilie said...

I love the article and am honored to have you a part of Sparrow!

mjcaron said...

You have such a great way of putting things into words.

I loved this analogy.

"And instead of discussing the works of Thomas Hardy with other graduate students while sipping bottled spring water, I was attending all-female neighborhood book groups discussing the latest Jodi Picoult thriller while sipping a glass of Chardonnay."

Ange said...

loved your article. why can't I remember who that was... who wore the boots? :)