Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Biscuit

Meet Seabiscuit.
She's gorgeous. And fast. And awesome.

Just like the original Seabiscuit.


 (Now if I could JUST get as aero as Seabiscuit's jockey...)

I named her after Seabiscuit, the legendary thoroughbred born in the early 1930s. The original Seabiscuit was foaled by Hardtack, whose father was the famous Man O'War, known to be the most amazing race horse of all time. Seabiscuit was named for his father, Hardtack. Hardtack, or "sea biscuit" is actually the name for a type of cracker eaten by sailors. Though he was named for his sire, I noted that Seabiscuit's name also mimics his grandmare's name, which was Tea Biscuit.

Seabiscuit grew to be only 15.2 hands, which is small compared to many he raced against, and because of his early failure to succeed, little was expected of him. But after an inauspicious start to his career, he showed the world that he was not to be underestimated, eventually beating the great War Admiral  (interestingly, also sired by Man O'War) in a head to head race featuring just the two great horses.
I think it one of the greatest horse races of all time:


Gives me chills!


I thought of naming my new baby Spectacular Bid after the famous thoroughbred of the 1970s, who was my favorite horse growing up. (I knew horses then only because my older sister, Laura, was both a rider and an artist. She subscribed to horse magazines and then drew all of her favorite horses, displaying the pictures throughout our basement and our shared room.) But the name Spectacular Bid doesn't have many great nicknames that can be associated with it, as Seabiscuit does. Also, many of you know about Seabiscuit because of Hilldebrand's recent novel and the subsequent film made after the book's release, so the name doesn't seem totally bizarre, as Spectacular Bid might seem.

So she will be my Biscuit, the Biscuit, Mrs. Sea (as opposed to Mrs. Z), That Fast S.B., and simply, Seabiscuit. I'm so in love!

I need to give a shout out to Brian at Fast Splits.
Best mechanic/bike store owner EVER.
Thank you so much, Brian, for all of your help, for setting me up with such an awesome, awesome bike,  and for dealing with my persistent emails all winter long of Is it in yet??? You're the best!

 Mrs. Z will still be my old standby, taking me out in the inclement weather, and remaining ever faithful. She is so tired, though. I know she is quite pleased to be retired!

On a totally separate note,

I have four athletes competing in the Boston Marathon tomorrow. I can't wait to bear witness to these four runners' awesomeness! It's supposed to be hot, but my people know what to do, and they will persevere! You guys, rock! Good luck!


9 comments:

KMichaud said...

Yay for new bikes! Definitely loved the Felt DA!

RW said...

She's a looker! How did you decide on FELT? I'm hoarding all my spare pennies trying to save up for a proper bike. Did you do a fitting with Brian before ordering the bike? (I hang out a lot at FastSplits but can't afford anything yet...)

mjcaron said...

Love the new bike. Thanks for sharing the race video. Truly awesome.

Molly said...

Congrats! She's gorgeous!

Jean, aka Mom said...

Oh, Mary!
At last! Something I know about, at least peripherally. Seabisquit is an excellent choice of appellation, but even better would have been Genuine Risk. Ask Laura.

donna furse said...

I like Alydar as a name, the horse made the most money out of any horse and never had to come in first, always a contender though. Alydar was always in the mix, very consistent and a sure bet to be in the money. However, Biscuit is good, how could you go wrong with that name.

J. L. said...

Oh my! Drooling over your new bike. Love it! And the name is awesome!

tri like mary said...

Nice! Bike!

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Your mom leaves such great comments!
Nice looking bike. Oh, the places you two will get to see together!