Thursday, October 18, 2012

It's Hard.

to take a break.

It's equally hard not to. And I think that's the rub.

I have this conversation every few days with my coach. It goes something like this:

Him: You are doing too many quality sessions.
Me: Are you kidding me? I'm doing nothing! What do you count as quality?
Him: Master's, strength classes, cross races, swim meets...
Me: That's playing! That is not quality!
Him: You shouldn't be doing this much as you trend toward the off season.
Me: TREND toward the off season? Dude, I am IN THE OFF SEASON.
Him: Good, then stop doing so many quality sessions.

I'm not kidding that we have engaged in some form of this discussion at least 3 times a week for the last month and a half. When I look for sympathy from Andy this is what happens:

Me: Kurt thinks I'm doing to much.
Him: Kurt's right.
Me: What do you MEAN he's right! I've gained 7 pounds!
Him: You're supposed to gain 7 pounds. Plus, I bet it's not 7 pounds.
Me: It is 7 pounds! What do you think I'm doing that is too much?
Him: Master's, strength classes, cross races, swim meets....
Me: This is a conspiracy.
Him: Why don't you just let up a bit? Take a nap. This happens every year. Do we have to talk it through like 10 times a week? You always freak out, you always gain weight, you always fight it. Then you get back in shape and lose all the weight. EVERY YEAR.
Me: silence.

I'm just writing this out for all of my athletes who I have asked to take a break.
Here is my message:
I GET IT.
and I'm sorry.
But you have to.

It's really freaking hard, and I fight it, too.
God Bless the Obsessed. You have my deepest sympathy.


8 comments:

Judi said...

have you ever strapped on your HRM for a cx race? just curious.

Unknown said...

I am actually really looking forward to changing gears for a few weeks of break.
Can I drive down to MA and you can teach me CX?

I'll still be active but I'll focus on "fun" things; I'll let you know if Sonja says it's too much quality! lol

KMichaud said...

It's cause we're all Type A crazy people! Although, I must admit that I'm having fun just doing what I want to do instead of what I have to do! But, yes, seeing the scale go up is no fun.

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

But isn't rest relative? I mean, strength, swim meets are probably rest for you! I understand the concept of complete rest, but honestly I sometimes wonder if it is a good thing. I mean, the body likes homeostasis. Interrupting that by going from being super active to not active at all is a huge stressor. I get taking complete rest if injured all burned out, and I get decreasing activity, but I am not sure I agree with the complete rest philosophy for everyone.

Unknown said...

I suffer from the same challenge and get the same lecture from our masters coach! I fight it every year and don't pay as much attention as I should.

Trigirlpink said...

WOOOOT CX BABY... What? He wants you to sit around and eat bonbons? I say as long as you keep it in check, you are having fun, you ride your bike when you want with no structured training, why not? Of course I could be nothing but a bad influence on you. Oh well...

mjcaron said...

You don't have to gain weight just cuz you're in the off season. Eat less.

Katie said...

Hmmm, Melissa's advice seems harsh. Just stop eating already! ;)

I agree with AM. I'm not a complete rest type of gal. I actually find that my knee and my Achilles get more stiff if I do no exercise at all. I hypothesize, with absolutely nothing but personal experience, that light exercise helps circulation which is vital to healing too. And "light exercise" is relative. I often run everyday, but sometimes I only run 4-6 miles at 10 min pace, which seems like doing nothing. Today I'll probably do some really easy rowing, foam rolling, and stretching...

Hang in there!