Saturday, October 27, 2012

Macaroni and Cheese and So On


About two weeks ago I had a gynecological appointment. I won't get into the details of it; it involved what is usually involved in an annual--a fair amount of wincing during necessary medical procedure(s) and an uplifting conversation surrounding aging and its effects on one's reproductive system.

Anyway.

At said appointment they took my "vitals".  I usually do well in the vital department, which is to say my vitals raise no red flags. In fact, usually they inspire a few mutterings of "excellent" and "super" from the mouth of the nurse in charge of taking them.  My blood pressure is super, my pulse is good, I can make the little plastic do-hickey in the small plastic pipe they ask you to blow into go up high enough to not cause alarm.

And my weight is fine.

Except I, like every other woman I know, have issues when it comes to weight.  So although my vitals are quite good, my psychological state is not quite so good when it comes to the issue of poundage.
I talk a good game. I'm just fine as long as the correct number appears on the scale. When the number is acceptable I can actually be quite blithe about it all. What's to worry about? I look fine, you look fine, we all look fine! Thank GOD weight is just not an issue for me anymore. I love my body!

And I do love my body. I just don't like it quite so much when the number on the scale does not say the correct number, which in short means, that yes, I am full of it and I actually have just as much of an issue with my body as you do. (That is if you have an issue, which you likely do. Just saying.)

I deal with this issue by simply not getting on the scale in the off season, and actually during most of the in-season as well. Voila!  Problem solved. I am a big proponent of the idea that what you don't know can't hurt you. But if for some reason I MUST get onto the scale in the off season, I certainly do not do so unless I have just come back from a double session of yoga in a super hot studio.  That is not neurosis; that is simply common sense.

But the doctor, dear GOD, the doctor... She puts you on that scale in your clothing (and I was wearing jeans for God's sake!) and then blithely announces the number to you, as if you can't see it, staring you right in your fat face. And so I see the number, and I am told the number, and suddenly I start having palpitations right there in the office. I begin to breathe in short, sharp breaths and I wonder whether I should perhaps ask for a paper bag to blow into so I don't start hyperventilating.  That's an exaggeration, of course. But barely.

Anyway, since I saw this number on the scale--which, I will add, is a fine number, a perfectly good number, a number which probably would have had me running in gleeful circles and cartwheeling and doing a snarky little victory dance had I seen it staring back at me when a porky college freshman--that number has me in a tailspin. Of course it does.  And I know it's "just a number" and I know my body looks fabulous for 40 (ahem +) and I know that I am healthy, and I know that I shouldn't complain, and I know you are going to say in your comments something like, OMG, don't you have better things to think about than the 5 pounds you must lose to make you look too skinny anyway? Or worse still, You have a GREAT body! etc and so on and I know I know I KNOW! And I also know that is entirely beside the point. And you know it too. Admit it. You do know that. You know it because you likely suffer from the same craziness, and if you don't you either did not grow up in this countryor you're a liar and I'm calling you on it. right. now.
Dear God.

I need to tell you that although I have copious books on nutrition, sports nutrition, eating paleo, eating gluten-free, eating like a saint, eating for a green planet etc; even though I am extremely well-read on the topic and advise my athletes accordingly (or try to), it still has not affected my actual eating that much. For example, Jordan decided to make macaroni and cheese tonight after I threatened to make a vegetable stir-fry, and so naturally I allowed her to and then ate several extremely generous portions of it along with a small bowl of green peas.

Even when I try very hard to be perfectly perfect I seem to fail. For example, while trying to fix myself a healthy snack the other day I decided on carrots and hummus--seemingly benign--seemingly a good choice, right?

I had four enormous carrots. I'm not kidding--these carrots were like mutant carrots--thick and about a foot long. And with these four monster carrots I ate the entire container of hummus, which I realized, upon completing it, contained 500 calories. An 8 inch carrot has about 30 calories, so multiply that times 8--and I had 240 calories worth of CARROTS, which combined with the caloric intake of the hummus amounted to roughly 750 calories. For carrots. and hummus. 750 calories. I could have had a Whopper for God's sake! Except of course I couldn't have; that's not the same... but you get what I am saying. I am a woman capable of consuming 750 calories of carrots and hummus for a snack.

In the past I have lost weight only by running. When the weight doesn't come off I simply run more. and then more. You can see how I came to running marathons, and then to completing Ironman. I'm in awe of people who can keep their weight without running a billion miles a week. It's simply astounding. It is a discipline I admire and have never attained.

_______________________

In other news. Jordan, super-daughter, and I got out for a cross race this morning. It was our first race that was not a total mud-fest, and I must say that courses without mud are almost more difficult than with mud. This is because there are no breaks. You simply must hammer the entire time, and there is no excuse, really, for slowing up at all. Of course those proficient at riding in mud would argue that mud doesn't not present a "break"of any kind--but I am not proficient in mud, and so for me, it does. At points in the race I was breathing so hard my throat felt that burn-- you know that burn? , and certainly my quads were screaming. This felt fabulous to me--and also horrible.

I'm not sure how I placed because we left before the results were posted, but I think I may have actually beaten more women than usual! It's possible, anyway. Jordan beat two young boys, so she was quite thrilled. We celebrated by going to Dunkin' Donuts. And so my post comes full circle. I'm afraid I'm in need of a few thousand running miles....







18 comments:

Swimming for ME said...

Forget about your wieght....you've been taking lessons from Nora Ephron haven't you?

mmmonyka said...

I truly do not understand why people (esp women) care so much about their weight. Or no, I do understand why they do care (mostly because everyone wants to look good, right?), I do not understand why they are so touchy about it (like not wanting other people to know how much one weights, thinking that remarks about one's weight are rude etc). Healthy people are responsible for their weight, and if the scale does not show what they want to see it is only their own fault and there is a very easy way to fix it.
Why are people ashamed of something that they have a complete control over?
Why women do not like to share their weight with others? It is not something to be ashamed of, and if a person is ashamed of what the scale tells then heck, it is all your fault and do something about it!

This is not addressed to you! I mean it for everybody.
Why aren't people equally touchy about haircut, or clothes, or eye color, because those are also things that have impact on our looks. Why weight?

On a different note. I LOVE that you started with the cross and that your family joined too.
I have never done a cross race and have not seen one thus am curious about one thing. How do you jump on your bike so fast, and clip in so fast and how do you hold your lane doing it (because you need to hold your lane, right? You cannot go left or right since there are other people around, right?) ? It must be hard!

Sorry for the long post:(

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

This post made me laugh! So funny! I can't believe you ate 750 calories of hummus and carrots! This is impressive. My weight does not change much when I don't run, but my body shape does! I get love handles and a saggy butt and I hate it. I also absolutely hate getting weighed at the doctor, but I am very good about taking 5lbs off of that number because of shoes and clothes. Yes, the 5lbs extra for you were the jeans:)

Amanda@runninghood said...

Ha! I'm laughing because I can so relate. I know I'm only 5 lbs over where I feel good in my jeans and I know that it will all come off once marathon training starts but I also know that I love to eat way more than I love to fit in my jeans...ha! So I have a bit of a problem when I'm not running much. Even if I do still have a great body. Mac and Cheese...all weakness...I make noodles with grated cheese on top for my kids and Always end up eating what they don't eat or finishing the pan off. And carrots and hummus...Ha! I hear this...seems so good but only if I consume normal amount. Anyway, it is either A. Start marathon training so I can keep up with my love for eating or B. Buy a pair of size 27 jeans so I can button them and not have my ass hanging out like a stuffed in marshmallow.

solobreak said...

28th out of 56! Nice job, you looked like you were pushing it. http://www.northatlanticvelo.org/flyers/CantonCup2012_Results.pdf

kT said...

I think the weight thing for (most) women is like any other destructive, addictive behavior--you're never totally over it, and it's an active effort to be OK with it. Your writing about it is part of that active effort for you, and I'm guessing making us laugh about it is, too. I'm struck by your sentence about trying to be "perfect;" how messed up is it (though I totally get this, don't get me wrong) that choice of what to eat has anything to do with how "good" you are?

MJ said...

Oh, yes, this sounds familiar...the up/down mental, psych and emotional rollercoaster of weight, being female (esp in the US) and aging (and then there's the hormone changes that affect weight, body and psyche) - gak. The calorie math, even for athletes, is brutal, and the background process that is always running of "how many calories was that, how many have I eaten, how many do I have left today, how many miles would I have to run.." takes up so much bandwidth and energy. And then there are all the special interests who've spent years and $B to convince us that we "should" be able to eat however much of whatever they're selling, as often as we want. But even disregarding appearance/societal expectations: for health (short and long term) and athletic performance, haven't some of the studies seemed to indicate that close monitoring of weight, portion sizes, food/calorie intake is essential in maintaining a good weight for life? And that maintaining is hard, but easier than having to lose weight? So that line between moderation, prudent awareness & caution and obsessiveness or self-destructiveness is a pretty fine one, and easy to go back and forth. First world problems for sure, but still a challenge to be dealt with.

tri like mary said...

Thank you for being so honest. This is something I CANNOT ever talk about at work, with family, friends, etc. because being on the small side people get downright ANGRY that I might not be happy with what that stupid scale might be saying. Darn off season. :-)

Linda said...

Hummus gets me every time!

Linda said...

Hummus gets me every time! :)

Trigirlpink said...

NICE JOB at Canton. Looky that.. first year trying CX and she comes 28th out of 56 women. I think you've found a NEW SPORT!!!

Julie Dunkle said...

I totally get it and empathize...I go to the Dr and tell the nurse upfront- I am a psycho so please just note my weight and record it - dont want to hear or see it- done no issue.

The weigh in before Ironman - same thing- dont tell me-

I GET it.....most do and only some will admit it. Right on sista

Unknown said...

I wish I could bottle up all of your posts and carry them with me at all time so that I always know that there is at least one person on this earth who is on the same page as me. Seriously, almost every post I read I think to myself "get out of my head!". I feel so in tune with the posts you write and you articulate everything I feel at almost all moments of my life. Fat days? Oh yea, I'm literally there all the time. Slow days? Also feel like I'm there all the time (and your slow days are like my fast days on steroids so we definitely differ there). But I can not only thank you for your honesty, but thank you for putting just about everything I've ever thought in my head into a coherent and comprehensive piece wherein I feel like I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Sorry for babbling, just needed to let you know how much these posts actually help me. So, thank you.

Unknown said...

I wish I could bottle up all of your posts and carry them with me at all time so that I always know that there is at least one person on this earth who is on the same page as me. Seriously, almost every post I read I think to myself "get out of my head!". I feel so in tune with the posts you write and you articulate everything I feel at almost all moments of my life. Fat days? Oh yea, I'm literally there all the time. Slow days? Also feel like I'm there all the time (and your slow days are like my fast days on steroids so we definitely differ there). But I can not only thank you for your honesty, but thank you for putting just about everything I've ever thought in my head into a coherent and comprehensive piece wherein I feel like I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Sorry for babbling, just needed to let you know how much these posts actually help me. So, thank you.

PJ said...

I am totally with you on the weight thing! And is it me or does it seem worse when you start losing the summer "tan" (I don't really get tan, thus the quotes, but I do get a bit less white)? I know I'm not fat but as I saw myself in the mirror last weekend looking like the American Flag in my Landry's kit with butt ass white legs, my first thought was "DEAR GOD I'M LIKE THE MARSHMALLOW MAN!"

You are not alone with these crazy, stupid, caused-by-our-effed up-society-made-worse-by-being-an-athlete thoughts.

Michelle Simmons said...

I meant to comment on this earlier but I've had a bad week so just getting around to it now. :) I am with you. 100%. Somehow eating too many carrots/hummus (no kidding have done that stay away from the costco size tubs of hummus) I've gained 10lbs. OMG. Could.not.believe.it when I got on the scale. I will say though, sometimes it takes actually seeing a number that you perceive as GROSS to wake you up and get yourself back in order. The change I am committing to now is to not feel the need to finish Moana's food every breakfast/lunch/dinner when she doesn't eat it all. There is a reason she is thin and it's because she LISTENS to her appetite and stops eating when she is no longer hungry. (If I could do that as well I would not be in the state I am now. Hmmm.) Anyway, I was SUPER proud of myself when I dumped out the rest of her mac-n-cheese the other night. I did that b/c of this post so thought I should say THANK YOU. :)

Katie said...

You're so funny! I say if your kids want to make dinner, then Yay!

Seriously though, I think it's natural to be worry a bit about weight. I mean we're always hearing about this obesity epidemic. And then they tell you, "you just wait, when you get older it's harder, you lose muscle and get fat." I mean that's not cool at all. Also, if you weigh a few extra pounds from one doctor's visit to the next, you almost can't help but to question if this is a trend or just because you're out of season. These concerns probably help us stay trim. I think it's more of an issue if you're never happy with the number on the scale, or let yourself go hungry (and then feel sick and weak) due to weight concerns.

I'm definitely pudgier most runners (135 pounds and 5'6"). (See how I just threw that out there. Yikes, That was hard!) Yeah, sometimes I have trouble (especially when looking at other runners), but I've also been this weight since high school and can break 19 minutes in the 5K. So I can't be too fat, right? Don't answer that. ;)

Anyway next time the number bothers you, think about how awesome you are, and that's sure to help.

Beth said...

Well, I stopped by your blog to read about running and Ironman training but was transfixed by your reading list. I love it! I've read a lot of the same books and a lot the ones I haven't are on my want to read list.It's true about weight- I want to see a certain number and don't really care if anyone else thinks that a few pounds more is just fine.