Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cali Here I Come!


Last week I received an email from my friend Keri. She planned to write a post contemplating what might happen when and if she decided that intensely training for triathlon was not a top priority anymore. She asked me and a few other competitive, women triathletes we both know the following:

If and/or when the day arrives where you can no longer race competitively (for any reason: injury, burn out, something else in your life gets in the way,etc.) would you still enter races "just to finish" or just to experience it (even though there would be no chance for an award/podium finish -- no nothing but you completing the race)? In other words, would you be able to be happy just being involved even though your results would be a mere shadow of what they used to be? Or, would you rather just walk away from the sport altogether?

When I got the email I thought, Oh my....how timely. This is exactly the question I am trying to answer these days.

My drive to train and race triathlon waned little for five straight years, beginning in 2007, when I first took up the sport.  It wasn't until last spring that my drive wavered a bit, and it wasn't until late summer, when I developed a stress fracture in my foot that I really lost my drive.   I stopped working with my coach. I stopped running for 10 weeks. I took up cross and did not get on my triathlon bike or road bike for nearly three months.

With the loss of my drive came a loss of self.  Who am I if I am not that Mary--driven, consistent, and unwaveringly obsessed with training and racing?  But I didn't seriously contemplate Keri's question. My drive might be missing, but I kept the faith  it would return if I just rested a bit.
I wanted my fire back. I did not want to ponder what might be if that fire never returned.

But tomorrow I turn the calendar's page to March, and my drive for triathlon hasn't returned. Not yet, anyway.

I spent a good portion of this winter depressed--and not just a little depressed. It became increasingly obvious that my lost drive wasn't just a temporary phenomenon; I was making a life transition. I began to contemplate new goals--goals that had nothing to do with triathlon. I planned my garden for the spring and ordered seeds, flats, and grow lights. I took (am taking) classes. I read. I wondered about going back to teaching. I wrote to my friend Liz, and asked her to help me make writing my daily focus.

Meanwhile, California 70.3 stared at me, the printed words on my calendar searing and definite. One day I'd feel determined and I'd go over my next weeks of training and think, I'm going to do this. The next day I'd feel tired and unmotivated, and decide to write, read or take a nap instead of getting on the bike. I'd read about others training on blogs and Facebook and the posts of my athletes in my inbox and think, that used to be me--so jazzed and focused and determined to conquer the triathlon world. That person is gone now. Will she ever come back?

I haven't done the training to compete at California 70.3
And I could still race it. I've been swimming a great deal, and I have a backlog of biking and running that certainly would allow me to finish the race.
And that brings me to Keri's question:
Would I still enter races just to finish?

I wanted that answer to be yes.
But that's not the answer. The answer is no.

I love the journey toward a goal. I love making the plan and executing, and on "race day" -- whatever that may be, whether it be triathlon or something else, I enjoy giving it everything I have and seeing where I stand.  With some goals the "race day" is more gradual--like with a garden, or with writing. But  no matter what the race day looks like, I don't want the arrival without the journey. I've lost my drive for triathlon, at least for now,  but I have not lost my drive.

This winter the journey has been about figuring out who I am and what I'm going to do if I I'm not training. The arrival of this journey is not racing California 70.3. The arrival is going to California and NOT racing it. It will be hard to watch it--and I will watch it because I want to cheer on Ange. It will be hard to watch in the same it is hard to watch an x-lover going out with someone else. But it must be done. Worse would be to race it, and spend intimate time with the x-lover that I have rejected all winter, and don't really want.

So, what now?

I felt such relief when the decision was made, and this week I have just been relishing that relief. And I know a few things.
I know I'm going to continue swimming, and I will go to Nationals in Indianapolis in early May. I know I'm going to get my seedlings going, and tear up the front lawn this spring to make a vegetable garden. I know I'm going to continue to write, and I'm 99% sure I'm going to apply to low-residency MFA programs this fall, for entrance in the winter of 2014.

I still have triathlons on my schedule, and I may do none or all of them. The only thing I know for sure is that I won't be racing big events, like a 70.3, unless I've trained for the race, and I'm only going to train if the desire to train for something long like that comes back.




11 comments:

Ange said...

hugs Mary. xoxo

Molly said...

Sounds like a big step for you but if it makes you happy then go with it! Have a great trip to CA.

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

I love this Mary! You are looking deep and staying true to yourself. Life is short and if you don't have to do something that you no longer enjoy, why do that? You've accomplished so much in sport - BQ, Kona, multiple wins! If it is time for something else, why not? I am excited to see you focus on writing and see where that takes you. Exciting things ahead for sure!

Michelle Simmons said...

I wouldn't race either if I hadn't been training. It wouldn't be fun at all! Good call. Triathlon is not who you are. It's just hat you did for a while... And if you want to do it again later, you can. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great. Good. Glad to read this. It's a huge step but the next door won't open until you make this step. Great going on getting through the rough patch - this post is a sign that you're moving beyond it!

Katie said...

It seems to me that your friend's question was different. It sounds like you're not racing because the love you once had isn't present right now. To that, I say, good for you. Life is too short to waste on things you don't love. But your friend mentioned if you couldn't be as fast as you were would you quit. I'm not so fond of that. If you had trained for this HIM and still loved it, but knew you weren't as fast as you were a year ago (or knew you didnt have a shot at an award) would you just quit? I guess that's a personal decision, but that's like saying to people who don't get awards (or don't have a chance at one) that their journey is pointless...

Jean, aka Mom said...

I think Katie makes a very good point. This may apply to all our "projets" in life, including the ultimate journey. . . getting to old age and old old old age.
What IS our attitude(s) about this
subject?
As a person somewhat into this whole project I am aware that there
are some things I don't do any more. Not because I can't do them as well, or fast, but because I
am (realistically) concerned about
injury, and ruining the quality of
the rest of my life. ie, ride horses at more than a walk, or
ride a bike on a road with no
(huge, wide) bike lane!
But, maybe I don't really understand the question, since I
never stood on the podium for anything, anyway!

GetBackJoJo said...

Age can be a factor in whether you live up to your former personal best times, but finishing on the podium or winning an award is a matter of how you measure against those your own age--because awards are given by age group.
But you have to do the WORK to get a podium spot, and often those people, especially as we age, who gets the podium spot are the people who have really done the work.
So me for the question was, if you haven't done the *work* would you still compete. And the answer for me is no. Work at each age differs, of course. The work you do at 20 isn't the work you do at 50. But it still amounts to work.
Keri asked the question to a few triathletes who generally podium. The question was directed at them--like what makes you tick? IS it the award? This doesn't imply that racing without a chance of an award is pointless. It's asking those who have routinely received awards, if that is the reason they race--or is it something else.
I want to be the kind of person that races whether she has a shot at winning something or not. It's been hard to figure out whether that is true about me or not! But I DO know that I don't like to compete unless I have done the work to compete to the best of my ability. There is an important distinction...

mjcaron said...

I totally get what you are saying Mary. I too, do not like to race unless I have done the "work" and am at my best. You seem to be following your heart.

Trigirlpink said...

Mary! Girl.. we are so on the same page it's not EVEN FUNNY!. I could just copy and paste that and post it on my blog signed *me*

You need to find some other junk (for now) to fire you up and it looks like you've started with your garden stuff. Do you think you want to do CX again? I think you should join Hup United or one of the many out there that might suit you for support at the races and other women to ride with. Also, do you have a mountain bike? I'm getting one. Never done it but the skills will help with CX and it's something new and challenging to do for the summer. Wanna try??? :-) Also since you are swimming diva now, sign up for Nubble Light. xxx

Julie Dunkle said...

Yo....we can watch together!!! would love to hang with you- when do you arrive/where are you staying? message me :) idropboys@att.net Cheers!

We can drink beers and cheer