Friday, February 1, 2013

Lots of Swimming.

and not much else.
That has been my M.O. of late!

You know how people say to listen to your body?
Well, my body is a-okay. It's actually quite rested given that I'm supposed to compete in a 70.3 in late March. This is not necessarily a good thing, understand.

No, I need not listen to my body right now, which is getting plenty of sleep, food, and rest. (ahem, too much of all three, methinks?) But I have been listening to my mind.

My mind is involved in a war right now--
Let me explain.
One side of my mind is saying, I do not feel like running or biking. At all. Not even a little. Leave me alone already!
The other side of my mind is saying, If you do not get off your (ever increasing) butt you won't be able to compete at Oceanside at all! Get moving, Fatty!

With each day the war gets increasingly ugly.

So I'm trying to listen. I'm trying to give both sides air time and I'm trying to stop the blows between the two factions. But wow, I'm getting tired. Neither side will rest, and consequently I am fast becoming an alcoholic as I try to drown out the clamor of it all.

(*It doesn't help that Andy recently purchased a Vitamix. You all know the Vitamix, yes?  But did you know it's possible to become even more unhealthy in your eating habits once you obtain one? Did you know how easy, for example, it is to make a nice, strong, frozen margarita using the Vitamix? No kale required.*)

One thing I have been doing is swimming. I think it's because I am social, and I like going to Masters. I like the people in my lane. I miss them when I skip, and I take it personally when a lane mate doesn't show up for practice.  I know... I have issues.
Plus, since I'm not biking or running much at all, I have plenty of energy to give to Masters. So I keep getting faster, and that is very fun.

I just had a meet on Sunday. I was coming off being sick, and so my expectations were a bit understated, but I ended up doing quite well! I swam a 35.08 in the 50 back. I still have to shave a half a second off that if I want to qualify for Nationals in May in that event. In the 100 back, though, I went a 1:14.79. The qualifying time for Nats is a 1:14.44, so I am getting close! I have two more chances to nab that time. I think I can do it. I also surprised myself in the 50 fly and the 100 IM. I swam a 33.8 in the 50 fly--which is not fast in the swimming world, but quite fast for me. I swam a 1:17 in the IM, which is also quite fast for me given that the IM includes breaststroke. I have a bit of a problem with the breaststroke...

And in practice the other day we had to swim 5 x 100s very hard, after doing 15 moderately hard 100s prior to those 5. I swam those last five all on 1:11/1:12, which I'm fairly certain I haven't been able to pull off since high school! I was pleasantly stunned. It's truly amazing what you can do if you focus only on one of the three triathlon disciplines, isn't it?

Alas, however, even if I swim really really really super duper well at Oceanside, I will still have trouble racing even a bit well if I don't get on the bike or out for a few runs -- like now. I'm trying not to hate myself for being so supremely unmotivated. The thing about Oceanside is that I am spending a week there with my family after the race. We are going to Legoland, Sea World, the Zoo... I really can't wait. So NOT doing the race isn't an option. We are going to Oceanside, damn it! I want that vacation! But when I stumble to the finish line after taking 7 hours to race... just know that I expect no notes of pity. I will deserve that performance...

Oceanside is coming.
But la la la la. I'm going to keep drinking and swimming and will then, come March 31, take my chances.
And I will keep chipping away at qualifying for Nationals in swimming in the backstroke. Why not? What fun! A new challenge! My friend Tracy will go, and I *might* be able to convince my new friend Carina, from Masters, to go as well. Since I will likely only qualify in just a few events I will be able to spend most of my time there cheering, and then going out for drinks at the end of the day. THAT is my idea of fun right now. Cheering and booze.

I hope you all are training a bit harder than me.
If not, hey. Some years we are on fire. Some years we .... swim too much to catch fire?


7 comments:

KMichaud said...

Ok, now I don't feel so bad when I don't feel like workouts after a long ass day at work! I totally get the FU vs FU argument. I'll have to add alcohol beverages to the pro side of the list in buying a Vitamix... Mmmm... :-) See you Sunday for a nice long run!

Swimming for ME said...

Those 5 x 100 are evidence of what good swimming shape you are in ... you have made huge progress. I know you will get the quals next time. Let me know when and I will come cheer you on!!

Keith said...

I had that argument in my head. The slacker side won for december. Then I got sick in Jan. Now I'm trying to get moving again, carrying I'm afraid to look at how many extra pounds around my middle, just to complicate life.

Katie said...

Mary not motivated to train!? I don't believe it! If it is true, well it's sort of nice to read actually. I feel like we can't constantly train hard year after year forever...a little break from time to time is a great thing. Maybe I'm just feeling on the verge of being burnt out...Anyway, congrats on the swim stuff. If one could be on fire swimming, you would find a way! ;)

Petraruns said...

like Katie here I find it reassuring that even titans like yourself burn out sometimes (particularly on biking I SO get that). However, that's probably not helping the FU argument. I think you just need to ride it out. It'll come back to you - you can't force it. Go keep a slow newbie company in Oceanside. There's a mitzvah and then you can go and enjoy your holiday.

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

I completely agree with how awesome it is to focus on one sport. One of the reasons I quit triathlon so early on is that I new it would take too much out of me. One sport, running, is much more manageable. Seems to me like you've had classes and reading fill up your time, and those are things that you love as well, so perhaps the "need" that triathlon fills has not been there as a result? I do agree with Petra, if you don't have enough time or desire to train for Oceanside, you might need to reevaluate your goals. Pacing someone else would take the pressure off of yourself, and make the experience much more enjoyable. I am feeling like I am flirting with burnout myself right now and am trying to think of something else to focus on for a bit after my spring races:). I am finding that training hard for long amounts of time is perhaps not very healthy for me, particularly as I get older.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! I know where you are coming from with the devil and angel debate on your shoulder when it comes to work outs. You did fantastic at that meet, so try to find the joy in that and maybe it will help motivate you?! Or, perhaps read a motivating book or watch a motivational movie? I recently read: You Are an Ironman and I couldn't put it down! It definitely helped fuel my Boston Marathon training and then eventually my first 70.3, Timberman which I will start training for in April :) Best of luck! I look forward to following your training :)