Friday, July 29, 2011

I Wish I Could Make This Funny....

I pride myself on my entertaining race reports. This one is not entertaining, nor is it funny. If it seems to be tinged with sorrow and self-pity, it likely is. I just can't seem to make light of this one. I worked so hard, and I couldn't make use of that work come race day.

It's hard to suck that up, even though I am working on it, and even though I know I should, and even though I know I am hardly the first or last to experience dreaming big, and then crashing and burning on race day instead of realizing that dream.
 _____________________

There were no Tums in my transition bag. I must have only put them in my T2 bag, figuring I might feel sick after the bike... but not the swim.  Luckily I did have a few in my Bento Box on my bike. I ate three of them immediately with some EFS once I was safely astride Mrs. Z.

Then I waited.

Roil. Roil.

And I waited. and waited.

Roil.

And then I started to feel a little better. Time to really start biking!



My first loop I mostly felt good. I took in all of my EFS, all of my planned gels, and all of my planned salt tabs. I kept my watts exactly where Kurt and I had discussed, I stayed aero, and I rode evenly.

But then I started to feel sick. I was playing back and forth with this girl I can only describe as Aquawoman. She had a  lime green kit edged in black, and she had a lime green bike to match. I think if she had had a lime green cape and helmet it would've been the perfect look. Anyway, we were playing back and forth when I first started to feel queasy again.

I reached in my Bento Box and ate my final two Tums.
It did not help.

I decided to slow down, drink a little water, and sit upright. Being in aero was making me even more nauseated. Aquawoman rode off.
It was on my way back on the out and back that I knew I would be sick and it would be soon. My only question: Should I make myself sick or should I let the puke surprise me? I decided making myself sick would be safer.

I pulled over to the curb, slowed way down and let it come. I didn't need to put a finger in my throat; after I stopped fighting it just came up--quite forcefully--as puke often does.  I barfed over my bars, while riding (I am very proud of that even though I only was going about 3 mph). After I puked I did unclip and put my foot down for a second. I used some of my Ironman Peform stuff (I had no water at the time) to clean off the bars, and I tried to breathe deeply. Then I started riding again.

I was shaky. But I did feel tons better. Here is where I think I made a tactical error. I decided to wait before taking anything in again. I feared I would be sick again if I tried to drink or eat. In retrospect, though, I should have tried. I had thrown up a lot of what I had taken in on the first loop, and I was definitely down on calories and electrolytes. I AT LEAST should have taken some salt tabs. But I didn't. I got a bottle of water and sipped carefully until mile 95 or so. then I tried to take part of a gel. At mile 100 (roughly) just as I was turning the corner out of Hazelton, I pulled over again, and threw the gel and the water up. At this point my stomach was just totally used to rejecting things. Alert! Incoming! Incoming! Get ready--okay--here we go---- HURL!

I took nothing else in for the final 12 miles of the bike. I just survived. I tried not to think about the run. I tried not to think about just calling it a day in transition. I could not give up on this race. I had worked so hard for this--and I had wanted to go to Kona so much. I was in such good shape; I was so ready to race!

My average watts for my second loop were about 10 watts lower than my first lap. I tried not to think about this as I handed off my bike to the volunteer. It had been a slow bike, but it was okay. It had to be okay. I ran to get my transition bag, and ran into the tent. My friend Stacey was there. You are in third, Mary, third! she cried.


Third? I was in third ? With THAT swim? With THAT bike?

Now I knew I couldn't give up. I got out of there fast, and began my run.
I felt stiff at first, but loosened up fast. My legs felt SO fresh--. I could do this!

But then, within about 30 seconds of that thought,  I had another wave of nausea. I took baby steps. Easy easy easy. Don't throw up yet. Don't throw up yet.


I saw Kurt on the way downhill, out of town.  I gave him my Garmin. It wouldn't catch a signal, and also, I just didn't want to know my pace. I just did NOT want to know.
Take in fluids, he said.
I've been throwing up, I whimpered  as a reply.

And then I kept running.
I didn't force myself to take in anything for miles one and two, but at mile 3 I decided I must try. A marathon is longggggg and cannot be run on will alone, especially after throwing up all morning. So I took some Perform. And then I ran another quarter mile. And then I stopped and puked that Perform right up.

I can't tell you what was going on in my head at that point, because I can't remember. I think I just turned myself onto autopilot and continued to run. I saw Brian, a friend who works at Fast Splits. He said, Looking Good, Mary. And I said, I just threw up.
I think that might have been the extent of my thinking at that point. I threw up. I threw up. I threw up. 


I did not take in anything again until mile 8. Then I took some Coke. The Coke settled. It didn't come up. I would be okay! I could drink Coke! At mile 9 I took some more Coke--and I swallowed a salt tablet. Go me!
Then, just before mile 10, I pulled over to the side and puked up the Coke and the tablet. The salt was partially dissolved, and so my throw tasted very salty. And I thought, At least it is a new flavor of barf...I felt the roof of my mouth with my tongue and it was sore and raw. The acid from my throw up had burned me.

At mile 11 I saw Jesse. It was weird--I was running so slowly at that point--and I saw him in slow motion. He said, It's time to dig deep, Mary.
Did he know? Did he know? I wanted to cry. I wanted to just let go and cry and sink into the pavement. Did I look so bad already that he knew I was about ready to vomit, once again, on his shoes?

I saw Kurt on the way out of town again. He said, Do you have any salt?
I said, No
Here's what's weird. I did have salt. What I meant was that I could not take salt. I couldn't take anything. But I was too sick to explain that, so I just kept running.

At each water stop I would put ice in my mouth and squeeze a sponge over my head. I didn't try to take in anything else. I just sucked on the ice and let it cool my burned mouth.

I'm going to be honest. I don't remember the rest of this run except in a sort of weird slow motion movie kind of way.

People were cheering and sometimes said, Go Mary! but I didn't know who they were. I remember I tried to take a salt tablet and I chewed it; the salt spread throughout my mouth. It tasted good, but I spit out the rest. I don't remember why.

At mile 23 I was walking and I saw Kurt. You must run, Mary. You are still in this. You must run. There were red horns coming out of his head, his eyes were glowing yellow and I could faintly make out a pitchfork in his hand.
I can't, I said.
You have to run, Mary. Just keep shuffling.

I started to shuffle.
I couldn't keep my head up. It kept dropping back, jerking back, like it does sometimes when you fall asleep while sitting, only to be awakened by the jolt of your neck snapping backward or forward.
I had stopped sweating. I touched my face and it was was cool and dry.

Apparently I passed my family at mile 24. Noah held up the  poster he had made for me to see, and I did not look. I did not know he was there, even though I guess he was right in front of me. Later I found he had wept because I hadn't even looked.

Thinking about that makes me ache.

I ran all of the last mile, but it still took me over 12 minutes to do it. When I entered the oval, a girl in my age group passed me. She ended up beating me by 32 seconds. I could not catch her; I did not try.  My head was tilting backward, and I tried to correct it.
These pictures were taken in the oval.
And you thought I was exaggerating....
I really could not keep my head up.... it was very strange.


When I reached the IM finishing arch I did not smile. I took a few steps, and then, feeling happy I could do so, I let my knees go. Then volunteers picked me up and put me in a wheelchair. And then I lost consciousness. When I became aware again I was in the tent, and they were lifting me on a bed. Then they said, What's wrong? How do you feel? I just looked at them. I didn't know what to say. I feel sick, I whispered.

They put in an IV. They took my pulse. They took my blood pressure.

Later I found out the stats: 1.5 liters of fluid by IV. My pulse was 62. My heartbeat was irregular. My blood pressure was 80 over 60. When they weighed me, after my IV, I had lost 4 pounds since check-in for the race. Here is what I have to say about that: the number I saw on that scale I have not seen since I was 12 years old.

I finished the race in 11:22.
My swim was 1:07. My bike was 5:57. My run was 4:09.
I finished 5th in my age group. Number 4 passed me during the last three miles. Number 5 passed me in the oval.
To finish this race was the hardest thing I have ever done.
Bar none.

31 comments:

Love and Puppies, Christy said...

I am so sorry you had such an unenjoyable race and I know that saying "you did amazing for a healthy person, nevermind a sick one" doesn't help much because you didn't enjoy it (and that's ultimately what it's about), but know that you DID do amazingly well, so congratulations. You are a rockstar...still. :)

Meredith said...

Oh Mary! I'm so happy you're okay.

Imagine what you could have done if you were well. Congratulations again.

dawn said...

My heart ached while reading your report. So many hours in a pool, on a bike and running the roads are supposed to culminate in the experience of your life and shooting for a Kona spot while giving the best of yourself. Let me assure you -- you did give the best of yourself. When you had EVERY reason to to pull out - you didn't - you suffered and persevered. Your post doesn't have to be funny. Your day wasn't funny. It was tough, heartbreaking, painful and inspiring.
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" - Mary Ann Radmacher.

Your tomorrow is Kona. Kick it's ASS!

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Speechless. Glad you are OK.
After something like this you either get traumatized and never race again, or realize that no matter what happens in a race from now on, you can handle it.
I do hope you never get there again, though!
You deserve that Kona slot more than any athlete I know. So happy you go it, and I think you will have the race of your life over there (in a good way this time:)

Lisa said...

I will tuck this post in the back of my brain for the next time I'm struggling during a run. Thank you for sharing - although I hated to read it because it sounded so painful, it's inspirational. The mind sure is a tough M.F.

Hope you're all recovered.

Unknown said...

I am in awe of your strengh and determination-
Dawn said it very well and I will leave it at that.
You have my respect on so many levels!!
You more than earned that Kona spot Mary. Go get 'em girl :)

Swimming for ME said...

but holy guac - you finished - you did it and you qualified.

John said...

Talk about determination and mental toughness! Wow! To go through all that and not give up anywhere along the way is very impressive and inspirational. Great job Mary!

Sarah Woulfin said...

You're so tough! Congrats on Kona :> Make sure to take excellent care of yourself to heal up.

ShutUpandRun said...

I have never read such a brutal race report or been so amazed by someone's will to push and finish. Speechless. You did it despite the horrible hardship. Wow.

Meaghan said...

Mary, I'm so damn proud of you. You dug deep, looked every single demon that crossed you that day in the face and said "eff off". You got that Kona spot so that in October, you can get sweet, sweet redemption. You're an inspiration.

justme said...

oh my lord. scary. i am happy to hear you are ok. one of my fears for my first olympic was to not feel crappy - to not feel that even though i trained so hard - something else goes wrong. mine is NO way near your level but i am sorry that this had to be your experience....but as long as you are ok, each year it will be a better story to tell.....

Michelle Simmons said...

Yikes. Ironmans are hard enough when you're healthy. rest up and get better b/c Kona is going to require more digging...
Looking forward to meeting you!

The Finicky Farmer said...

Holy crap. You are such a rock-star. When my long run begins to suck tomorrow, I'll think of you and your race. And like everyone else, I'm *really* glad you're okay.

Kick Kona's ass.

tri like mary said...

Oh Mary, this made me cry! You are such a strong woman for pushing through and finishing. Kona will be your redemption.

kT said...

OK, I nearly had to quit just READING about it. You are amazing. You're like the Jens Voigt of triathlon (www.jensvoigtfacts.com). I hope you're getting the relaxation you deserve before you kick into high gear again.

Ashley said...

I am racing in my first Ironman in September, and I can only hope I race with the same grit and determination as you. Thanks for an inspiring race report and congratulations on your Kona spot!

donna furse said...

I look at those pictures and I was truly scared for you, you didn't look well. I am so sorry for how you felt during the race and knowing that you felt under the weather before starting sucks even worse. I am so glad you got a Kona slot but I'm happier that you survived this and didn't hurt yourself, that is some pretty scary stuff Mary. Please recover well, take care of that body and mind of yours, tons of hugs from me, just get better and rebuild. You are one " TOUGH MOTHER"

Carlee said...

So sorry the race went this way for you. You are amazing for finishing!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Ironmans that are like this are so rough and hard and not easy at ALL. Good for you for sticking it out and rising to the occasion on a very tough day! YOU will love Kona and do super there!!

Emilie said...

Oh man. That was hard to read. I'm really sorry that you had that kind of race, and I'm so in awe of how you kept up on your feet. You basically completed the race on a few sips of Coke? I hope you are feeling well now and that you have time to rest a little.

So amazed at you!

Regina said...

That is mental toughness defined. I'm not sure how you managed to make it to the end, amazing. Looking at those photos at the end of your run, I can see the strain in the tendons in your neck. They tell the story. I felt for you every step of the way.

You really gutted (no pun intended) this one out. You earned your Kona spot and then some. Congratulations!

A Prelude To... said...

You have completely amazed me this morning. I can't imagine what it takes to keep going in those circumstances. WOW! WOW WOW!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Holy crap! Very inspiring. I'm glad you are ok. I know I would have a hard time if I threw up that much. You are an Ironman!!! Congratulations!

mjcaron said...

Now I understand why you didn't see us 4 on the run :(. You did rise to the occasion. It was extremely difficult and you didn't give up even though you were suffering so badly. It was a scary report though. How much more could your body have taken out there? You were close to the edge for sure. When does one decide not to go on? Never?

The Miller Family said...

Sometimes when you want something so much the heart just wills you there.

Kona will just be amazing for you I am sure!

Mike Platt said...

OUUUUUUCCCChhh!

You have the heart of a racer.

I know this is blog and not a coaching forum, so I will keep this short.

Why in the world would race officials and support crew let you put yourself in such danger?

You have the innate talent and lifestyle that allows you to qualify as an age group entrant almost at will.
I would've walked you off the course instead of risking your health and future enjoyment of athletics. Particularly knowing that you were in extreme physical distress about 90 days ago at Boston.
As I read your story the coach in me is thinking WTF.

again, you have the heart of a racer. I really admire that...

Jean, aka Mom said...

Mary, This is in response to Mike,
who asked why in the world race officials (and others) didn't walk
you off the course when observing what distress you were in. I think
an official(s) ruling group that would race wet-suited and non covered swimmers together has no
collective judgement or sense. As for the others, I don't think Mary looks as bad as she felt - - - and as you would not want to take a pitcher out toward the end of an on-going no hitter, you probably wouldn't want to pull off someone who was actually doing quite well
(in performance/time).

Mike Platt said...

to Mary Mom:

I have to type this fast so excuse the typos, and disorganization.

I was not there. I only reacted to what I read. And it reads as if it was obvious she was running on empty, in distress.

I don’t expect the athlete to know when enough is enough. I don’t expect amateur observers to know when enough is enough. But I expect that someone is monitoring these very dangerous events and athletes.
Again, I was not there. It is just from my inference did I ask myself the question. It seems like she was puking dozens of times. That is so dangerous, having the stomach shutting down that early in an event. A precursor to system shut-down, catastrophic failure.

I do know this: Mary is highly talented and driven. She is clearly sub 11 hours on an average day. The Kona IM age group stuff will be there for her for the next 30 years. She can qualify easily, almost at will, even just having an average day. And knowing that she ran herself into the ground at Boston, less than 100 days ago, I simply would not let my athlete race herself into the ground, again, as if this was do-or-die-last-chance stuff. I would’ve walked her in or walked her off. I would not let an athlete crush himself if it were the Olympics, National Championships, Kona qualifying, or the local Firehouse 5k.

Again, I was not there. But I have coached dozens, maybe a hundred of athletes and I know how to monitor during these types of events.

Her very graphic depiction probably allows for Monday morning quarterbacking.
Mary’s blog is startling honest and wide-open. Sometimes I am stunned. Often I just read, but once in a while I feel compelled to write something that I am sure other coaches must be thinking. And with my lack of ability to articulate diplomatically, my impression was and remains, WTF?

My inference of the event is probably completely different from reality, but the opinion in and of theory is worth sharing as I see there are many coaches and determined athletes that read this blog and may wonder the opinion of others with experience.


Mary’s race notwithstanding.

You do remember I am the same guy who posted that he chooses the indoor trainer or treadmill instead of riding in the rain or running on ice.

I once pulled a young man, who was very close to a 4-flat miler, off the starting line of the National Championship. His sponsor, who paid our flight from NY to California, was there and asked me why, very emphatically. I told him the kid's Achilles tendon was chirping during warm-up and it was not my job to risk his career, it was my job to enhance it, or at least guard it. Some years ago I was excommunicated from a pretty good team when I put another athlete’s career in front of team goals.

As far as the no-hitter, yes I would pull a pitcher if his arm was sore and in jeopardy.
Even with that said, sore arms do not kill you. Imbalanced electrolytes, heat stroke, and subsequent heart arrhythmias and brain swelling can and do.

I have seen National caliber endurance athletes drop dead in front my face. Athletes die all the time; Pros, amateurs, young and old.

The list of World and National caliber athletes that have run themselves into the ground over and over again, and have fallen off the map, or worse, created a chronic health issue is staggering.
You have to coach each athlete with past and future in the front of the mind.

And I repeat ad-nauseum (no pun intended), I was not there.

I commend you for raising a talented and driven athlete. My drive to succeed can be directly attributed to my Mother.

Jean, aka Mom said...

For Mike, via Mary,
I agree with your assessment absolutely. But, I was not there
and do not know what Mary seemed like to those watching her. Certainly the Lake Placid team had
a better system to help the ailing at the end of the race than Boston did. Mary's coach will no doubt have a handle on all this in future efforts.
As for claiming ANY credit for
Mary's tenacity and drive . . . no way, not from me! Now . . . potential . . . maybe.

Marisa said...

The hair on my arms stood up when I read this. Congrats... and HOLY SHIT!