Monday, July 30, 2007

Who am I?

On Saturday I took the day off. I had a major, 5 hour workout planned for Sunday, and I raced on Friday night, so it made sense. I was irritable all day. Was it the lack of endorphins? Was it the fact that I wasn't able to "get away" from home life and have some time to myself? Was it that I got my period the next day? (very likely, actually!) 

You would think I would've been happy... I spend some much time workout out and my body really needed the break. I think my irritability has to do with the self definition that working out and being an athlete provide me. A hard workout justifies everything else. It's okay that I have not done anything else of real substance during the day if I have worked out. And if I don't work out, I feel my day has been lazy, useless, even if I have done a great deal of things "with substance." 

This summer I have moved my working out to a new level in preparing for this 1/2 Ironman, and I think my perspective (or lack of it) has become even more skewed as a result. Nothing makes me feel adequate except working out. This can't be good. Does anyone else experience this?  

Yesterday I got up at 5:30 a.m. for my long ride. I went 4 hours and then did a 41 min. transition run. I am in Maine for the week, and though I brought my Garmin, I forgot to also bring its charger. As a result, it was out of batteries and I was unable to use it for the ride. I have no idea how far I went (though I could measure it on Gmap pedometer) and also I don't have a sense of pace. This was somewhat freeing. I didn't work it the way I usually do, and the ride was pleasant and the transition run easier as a result. Also, the terrain up here, though rolling, really isn't as strenuous as it is at home. You can go for long stretches on the same road. Also, because I was riding early on a Sunday morning, there was literally no traffic until almost the end of my ride. In the Boston area I am constantly negotiating traffic, people, twists and turns. It's more stressful.  

I raced on Friday night--the Ocean Park 5K. The course is wicked flat, and wicked fast, and I love it! In the past, the course has also been a tad short, which is nice, but this year they had the course certified, and hence it really was a full 3.1. 

Still, I had a good race, beating a rival of mine (though I don't think she had a very good race) and PRing in 20:48, 6:40 pace. I have actually raced faster than that for the 5k, but never at on a certified course. So many courses that are not certified are a little short. Anyway, although I placed third for women in this race last year, I was a distant 10th this year, and I didn't even place in my age group! 

It was a beautiful, if humid, night, and everyone came out to race. Last year the race was delayed b/c of a thunderstorm, and I think a lot of my competition went home, allowing me to place third. I never place as well in Maine as I don in Massachusetts. The competition is way more intense up here! This goes for both road racing and triathlons. My husband also ran. He placed 5th overall and first in his age group. It was a comeback of sorts. He was an awesome steeple chase runner in college, but he hasn't competed for many years. The first four were all boys under the age of 23. I was psyched for him, although he was very nonchalant about the whole thing. 

My kids were with my Mom and my friend Alina watching and cheering. I love that! When I finished my oldest, Jordan, said, Hey mom! You beat that lady! Later she told me she loved my running outfit. I word a pink bra and a pink running skirt. She said I looked like a running ballet dancer! So cute.  

There was a kid's race before the 5K, and I ran with Jordan. Andy ran with Noah (age 3). It was a 1k-- a little long for such wee ones. Noah had a great time, but Jordan took it out fast (as kids do) and got a side stitch, which scared her, I think. We had to run walk the rest of the way, but I was really proud that she stuck with it. At the end she really wanted to run the final 100 yards or so, and though she was whimpering, she was also smiling.  

Today I am supposed to go for a swim in the ocean. It's cold and foggy, and I don't feel like it, but to not work out at all would be far worse! I am starting taper this week, which I'm glad about. I'm eager to do this 1/2 Iron and then re-asses what I want and who I am without training! My husband is back in MA, so Alina and I have to work out the coverage of the kids, since both of us want to swim. Next year we are talking about doing Peaks to Portland, a 2.4 mile ocean swim. Exciting and scary!

No comments: