Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Getting Really Nervous

I've been on vacation with the kids for the last few weeks which is why I haven't posted. I am tapering for the Timberman 1/2 Iron which is this Sunday. Ahh! 

I have been trying to rest, but I have had a few restless nights thinking about race day. Little Red (my bike) is getting a tune up today after I found a tiny tear in her bike tire. Yikes. That would NOT have been good. I am anxious about the whole race, but most about the swim. This has surprised me, since I am a former high school swimmer, and though I'm not screamingly fast, I am also no slouch. I'm worried about the chaos of the start, though. How do you break free of that many swimmers? There are hundreds of us! I don't want to head off to the side because swimming is my strength, and I need to find a direct route so I can use the swim to get ahead. 

I am quite pokey on the bike, so any advantage will help. The bike makes me nervous only because I'm not very skilled at eating and drinking on the bike, but I know I must do this. I am especially worried that I won't be able to pick up a bottle from a volunteer while riding. My plan for the bike is to take it out slow--between 17.5 and 18 mph, and then see where I'm at. I've been averaging 17 mph in my regular rides, but I'm not sure what the translates into during a race, especially a race in which I must save myself for the long run. 

 I am anxious for the run only b/c I fear not having the energy to do what I know my body can do on a regular day. My 1/2 P.R, at a hilly course with wind, was a high 1:36, but I'm thinking if I do really well at Timberman my split will only be around 1:45, and I could be even slower than that. Who knows! Today I am going for a 35 min power run (well--a z1/z2 run) and tomorrow a 75 min. power bike and a 45 min. swim. And that's it, baby! I wish I knew what others do for taper. I've been thinking about coaching. I want to learn enough about this stuff so that I can be my own coach. I'd like to know what percentage of athletes training for this stuff have coaches. If you happen to be reading this will you comment and tell me your thoughts on coaching? On vacation I was able to swim in the most beautiful, clear lake on the Cape. Here is a picture, with my superstar daughter in the foreground.

No comments: