Monday, May 18, 2009

The Right to Work Hard--or Not To

All we care about, Sweetie, is that you put in your best effort and you do your best work.

Right?
________________________
Last week when I was getting into the pool for an early morning swim, I had a quick exchange with my swimmer friend, Dwight. He was already in the pool, kicking, and we shouted our hellos.
When he got to the wall he added, "Man, you work hard."
"Thanks," I said. "Yes, I do."
"You never miss a workout."
"Right," I said. "I try not to."
"I sure hope you're really good," he chuckled before pushing off the wall.

hmmm. What do I make of that?

Later, resting between a set, he explained. "I just hope you're good because you work so hard. It would suck to work as hard as you do and then to still suck. You know? All that hard work for nothing..." he smiled, conspiratorially. "But I know you're good. You're good, right?" chuckle chuckle.

hmmm. How do I respond to that?
Do I chuckle too?
"I'm okay. Sometimes I place."
"Oh good," he said. "Good to hear." and he swam on.

_____________

Interesting.
At first I didn't even question this little conversation. It WOULD suck to work really hard and then to suck.
Wouldn't it?
Isn't that why I work hard? To win? To qualify? To make it to Kona? To prove to the world that I am exceptional, a winner, to be envied, the best?

I would be a liar if I said I didn't work hard so I can have a shot at winning. I am competitive. Of course I want to win! But, does that mean if I really don't stand a chance of winning I should not compete? That I shouldn't even try? Do you have to be a certain level of "good" to justify working hard?

Well, you think. Of course not.

But.... after thinking about it I began to realize the ways in which we embrace this thinking.

I have an image in my mind.
It's of a little tyke who works his butt off in Little League, but he's still the worst one on the team. Moms are on the sidelines whispering to each other about how sweet the boy is, how sad that he is just so-- bad. Fathers, perhaps, are less chatty about it. They are just glad it's not their kid.

Another image.

It's of a little tyke who is a rock star on the baseball field, but he just doesn't work at it at all. He's lazy, the moms say. What a waste of talent. The fathers just shake their heads. They are just glad it's not their kid.

So the tenets here seem to be:

It's a waste of talent if you are good at something, yet you don't choose to work hard at it.

and conversely,

It's pathetic when you work your ass off, and yet you suck.

And what is the best type of tyke? The type of tyke we want our kids to be--the type of tyke we want to be? He is the one who has talent and works hard. You need both. Nothing else is worthy.

We believe this about ourselves; we believe this about our children; we believe this about our peers who are working hard next to us in the pool.
______________________________________

Of course, talent and hard work is a good combination. There's certainly nothing wrong with it.
But, I wonder, what do we do to our own psyches and those of our children by embracing this as the only way worthy of being?

Here are a couple of possible conclusions one might draw based on such thinking:

1. I should only try hard at something if I have potential to be very good at it. If it appears I cannot be good, I should quit.

2. If I don't love to do something, but I have a natural talent for it, I should do it and work hard at it despite my dislike of it.

3. If I work hard at something and it is revealed that I am not good at it, I will be pitied and mocked. Therefore, I shouldn't try at all. It's too risky.

4. If I love to do something, but I am not inherently good at it, I still should not pursue it. I should pursue those things at which I have obvious talent.

I'm sure you can think of a few other conclusions, too.

We spend a lot of time blathering on to each other and to our children about how the most important thing to do is to work hard. Just do our best work. Just put forth our best effort. That it's okay if we fail, it's the effort that counts.

I think maybe we are full of shit.

We are disappointed if our best effort (or the best effort of our children) doesn't produce a win, an A, an AG placing, or a Kona slot. We will be disappointed because this is what is valued by us, and it is in the way we speak, move, and live.

Not a word about learning for the joy of it.
Not a word about playing/competing for the love of it.
Not a word about how the effort we put into something is worthy -- just because to put effort into something is to participate in and engage in life.

I still want to win.
But my effort, and yours, means more than that.

22 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

Love this! I've been thinking about a similar type of post... about the phenomenon that most women go through in the days before a big race... the "I'm not ready" excuses given out to anyone who will listen. I hate that. Because most of the time, they're completely ready, but won't/can't admit it because if you say "I'm ready" the expectation is that you're going to win. And if you don't? Guess you just never had the talent and who can admit that?

mjcaron said...

If this way of thinking is truly what we buy into then there would be no midpackers or backpackers.. They are not out there winning first, second or third... I disagree that we are full of shit. Some people just want to work their bodies and be outside doing it. Speed does not always matter, nor does does talent.

Ange said...

Good post....makes you think. But I agree with Melissa....we are not full of shit. work hard. Period. Do things you love doing. For the win, maybe. To finish. To best yourself. Doesn't matter. I think we all set out to do things for different reasons at different times. Sometimes to win, sometimes to get a PR,just to have fun, to stay in shape, sometimes just to finish the event (think 7/26).
But, above all else...work hard. Regardless of the reason you're doing it. Keep your head up. Don't whine or act like soresport if you don't get what you want. Keep trying. Set new goals. Always have a goal. I really and truly believe in these things.

Swimming for ME said...

Ange you said "shit"....

Kim said...

great post mary - so i may train my butt off, but i will always be a middle-of-the-packer. but im FINE with that! like ange said, i keep trying, i keep setting new goals for myself. im a stubborn SOB, and just because im not awesome doesnt mean i wont try.

GetBackJoJo said...

I totally agree with you three--hence my last few lines--but I question whether society at large agrees with us...
I worry about how we communicate the reason for effort to our kids, in particular. We wonder why so many kids feel they should just give up if they don't immediately succeed at something... I think it's b/c of the attitudes we unknowingly express--

Anniversary Moments said...

anything worth doing, and more importantly anything that a person is CHOOSING to do (because we are choosing this and this lifestyle) should be done with 100% effort - otherwise, what's the point? how then does a person grow, learn, experience the peaks and valleys and ultimately connect to the world and experience life?

As for the competition, yes, it's a great feeling when you pass people, and when you are getting passed, the fire ignites a little more, but ultimately at the end of it all i remind myself and am motivated by the fact that the only person i have to better than is myself...constantly better than my best self, my best workout, my best performance.

Amanda said...

Love this post. Lots to consider. Admittedly, the impression i always got was that of conclusion #1. I remember afriend of mine in high school who would consistently break the 800 and 1600m track records, but would never come to practice because she was a soccer player. I am (and always have been) amazed by those with talent who seemingly put forth no effort and still shine...and the fact that I will likely never beat them despite receiving the 110% award year after year after year. I guess I'm grateful I stuck with the sport even though i'm not the most talented...and I've learned that my love for it is what really matters anyway.

BTW, you are good! And you deserve to be. :)

Meredith said...

My mother and I have had many disagreements about this lately regarding my nieces and nephews. I'm of the opinion that we should compete to win and she is of the opinion that it's okay to just play. I'm not sure we'll ever come to an agreement and I'm not sure either of us have the correct opinion. But it's certainly something to think about if I ever have my own kids or something to think about regarding my own running.

Rainmaker said...

I think my favorite part was clearly:

"I think maybe we are full of shit."

:)

That aside, I agree with everything - it's not always about being 'the best', because otherwise none of us would be here.

MaineSport said...

I think most of you are missing the boat. Define "win." Does win mean 1st place or a podium finish? Or does win mean exceeding a goal? Winning is all in the eyes of the competitor. Not the lazy asses sitting in the stands who aren't willing to take a risk. And Alina, you're right- she needs to go to cofession.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I completely agree with the waste of talent and being lazy. However, if you work hard and do the best that you can do (we all have competing interests) and you don't place that you suck. It is nice to win, but when you reach a point in your life there are more important things than racing. When I work, I work hard and I feel good about my accomplishments. Even the last place finisher at a tri has done much more than the spectator.

Good post.

GetBackJoJo said...

Right, Steve--but are the lazy asses in the stands there b/c they have wrongly adopted the belief that they must be good to justify working hard?

Jeanne said...

My eight-year old daughter has a report due today on the Eastern Spotted Skunk. She's been at it for three weeks, completing various related assignments. The first few days after receiving the assignment she went at it gang-busters. Even built a diorama with the skunk standing on its head to spray, as it does.
Last week, she was invited to participate in a talent show with her chum, and they are preparing to perform the song "This is Me." (I think that's it.) Guess what? She dumped the skunk. The final version of her report is crap. Single sentences. Messy. Bad. Yesterday, she spent time on the school bus, writing the lyrics to the song, she sings as she moves through the house, wakes up singing, is thoroughly energized by the opportunity.
Does she have talent? Not that I can see. Is she making good choices? Not in my book. But what I MUST remember as a parent is this fragile thing called self-esteem. (My friend's boy calls it self-of-steam. Perfect.) The question I face is how do I love my child through the choice-making, over the hurdles, and help her to grow into someone who can be confident about her choices and successes, and gracious in her failures.
Great blog, Mary. Thanks.

Michelle said...

I'm with Melissa here. I work my ass off, but it's highly likely that I'm ever going to qualify for Kona, as much as I'd love to. It's not a realistic goal for me at this point in my life. But I still train hard. Really hard. And I love it.

That said, on those rare days when my kids particularly need me to be there for them cuddling in the morning, instead of being on the road or in the pool, I will punt my training and stay with my kid. Maybe that's WHY I'll never toe the line in Kona, so perhaps it's a self-fulfilling kinda thing, but I have my priorities right now. Training is REALLY high, but not in the #1 slot - it's not my job, it's not my family, etc. But hell if I'm going to quit, or stop trying my absolute hardest, within the boundaries defined by my life. I love training, and I love racing. I race against myself and love to see how far I come each year. If I never "win," I honestly don't care, even though I do truly race to finish as best as I possibly can. That is somehow a different mindset than to "just finish." Hell, anyone can "just finish" nearly any event, if they have ANY modest level of fitness.

Working hard, trying your best, and having fun is incredibly valuable and I think people generally understand that. Your pool buddy notwithstanding. :)

Ange said...

everyone is making good points...
the definition of "win" is very broad.
Regarding our children, just alwasy remember they are watching.
If Mommy wins....she must win graciously. She must show good sportsmanship. If Mommy doesn't win, same thing. But if those kids watch Mommy (of course, Daddy too) work hard, regardless of their place, they will learn from that. I also believe kids benefit from seeing their parents chase their own dreams. We absolutely need to be there for our kids...all the time...but we want them to grow into adults who have their own passions. They can learn from us how to go after 'it.'
I think maybe I've strayed a bit from the actual question.
Mary- I HOPE nobody is in the stands because they think they have to be good to do something. But you know, human nature sort of shoves us into things that we're good at. God knows I am not about to go audition for American Idol (ok, fine, I'm too old). Even people who are back of the packers are good at that event. Somebody has to be first, second, eleventh, forty fifth...it just means some are faster than others. Not that the ones who don't get first, are bad.
I'm totally rambling....avoiding laundry.
And confession.

Michelle said...

Ange - the kids are always watching. That is so true! You never know what can end up turning into a great lesson for them. I had a wicked, and I mean wicked side cramp at the start of the run at Lobsterman last year. I was seriously considering a DNF since I knew my run was going to be SHOT, and it hurt like hell. Right then, I heard my son yell from the sidelines, as he was waving frantically with a HUGE grin: "Go Mommy!!!!" Yeah, there was No Way I would DNF. I'd walk the entire freakin' run before I'd quit in front of my kids. I was able to start to do a ridiculous hobble after about a 1/2 mile, and ran after the 1 miler marker, and while what could have been a PR race ended up being an "eh" race from a pure time results standpoint, it was simply a HUGE race in other regards. I told my son the story of what happened after I finished, and he was truly awed. He still talks about it - the time Mom didn't quit when she hurt really bad.

That's gold right there.

Ange said...

Michelle...your story brought tears to my eyes. great great job.

Swimming for ME said...

I watch you all tri your hearts out and I love watching because I'm not good at tri and because I am in awe of how hard you work and because I have something else I love.

Judi said...

i am kind of pissy about this post. there are a lot of people who work hard at everything in life and STILL suck at most of it. if i had been swimming w/ that guy i might have spit in his face.

Velma said...

Fantastic post - No we are not full of shit for telling our kids to try hard.

I have so many student who have talent, but they blow it because they know they are smart and no one challenged them.

The students who are the most fun are the 'grinders'. They come to work every day and just gut it out. They usually have great sucess in the long run.

According to swimming man, Chrissie Wellington, Brian Sell, and other late bloomer runners and triathletes shouldn't have started. I think that people forget that we have a very long lifecourse and that there are many opportunities for sucess and failure. The people who always try hard and aren't afraid to fail have the most fun in the long run.

It took me a long time to comment, but I have been thinking about the post for a few days - good work!

Speed Racer said...

Great post! Sorry it took so long to pick up on it. It gave me a lot to think about while I was reading, and I think you're right with everything that you say. Of course you are. You're so smart! Here's what I keep thinking though:

I really suck.
You really suck.
Most of the pros out there (2nd tier guys) suck.
In fact, 1st tier pros who just never get the big one suck.
Absolutely, positively everyone except maybe the top 10 or so in any sport suck balls.

There's a pecking order, right? And you would never settle for my times just like a pro would never settle for yours and so on and so forth. But you NEED to have the sucky people out there to have the stars, and all those sucky people keep at it for SOME reason. I mean, aren't the domestiques in cycling really that pathetic kid on the baseball team? Even in MLB, there aren't enough Babe Ruths out there to fill an entire league.

Where do you draw the line of whose time is worth it? We're all that pathetic kid if you compare us to the right people. But we keep doing it. You keep doing it. You show up every day at swim class despite the strain it puts on other parts of your life. Why? There's gotta be something other than winning that motivates you, right? I think that we all learn to define our success in such a way that it's not TOO discouraging, or else even if we love the sport, we'd feel too pathetic to keep going. Personally, I define my success by my abs, and I'm STILL pathetic.

Sorry, brain fart. Excuse me.

And by the way, I would have "accidentally" kicked Dwight in the nose on a kick set for saying a dickhead thing like that.