Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cakes, Kids and too Much Rain


This is the castle cake Jordan (7) and I made for Lara's 4th birthday party. It's quite the masterpiece. It turned out much better than the fire engine cake I made for Noah's 2nd birthday--which looked as if it had gotten into a crash.
I am generally quite happy with my cake making skills, however. For example, I am especially proud of:
The mermaid cake--for Jordan's 5th. That was a real beauty.
Noah's 3rd bday cake was a train. I liked this one too, but it not looking like it's ready to take off at any great speed. Moving vehicles are hard to achieve in cake making land.

Another one I really like was simple, but good. The cat cake is easy to achieve, and very fun. This was for Jordan's second.I especially like the cupcakes I made to go with it. Actually, I think the coolest cupcake, the open-mouthed scary kitty, was made by my older sister Laura, who is only slightly better than me in cakemakingville.
One of my biggest failures was for Lara's second birthdy. It was supposed to be a dog. Not good to start with, it was made worse by the fact that my REAL dog bit off its right paw. I had no more white frosting to make another paw, so I had to make it with red frosting. It is remembered as the Dog Cake with the Bloody Paw.

One of my all time favorites I can't take credit for. The pigeon cake, straight from Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems, was made by Alina for her daughter, Maria. It was a keeper, except that we ate it, of course.

At any rate, the fiesta for Lara's 4th was a success. Here she is with her cake.

And here are all three of my beauties post-party after destroying the remaining water balloons created for Jordan's roll the water balloon down the slide game. (The game was a hit, btw. Leave it to the second grader to come up with the most entertaining games...):
_____________________________________
Enough of kids and cakes.

Onto training.
Wow. This weekend was freaking tough.
On Friday morning I swam more than 2 miles in the open water with Melissa. We didn't stop, like AT ALL. It was impressive. It took forever. We were proud.
(and tired.)
In the afternoon I had a short, easy run.
BUT THEN on Saturday I went for a three hour run. I was supposed to go for three hours or 20 miles, whichever came first, but I had my heart set on 3 hours. (sorry, Jen.) So I ended up going 22 and a tad. The last 10K I did at a faster clip, and I was TOAST when I was done.
But then I loafed around all afternoon with the kids, and I felt better.
I got up at 5 am this morning to go on my ride. It was wet. I need windshield wipers for my biking glasses. Will it ever stop raining around here? God! Anyway, I went for a little over 80 miles in the spitting rain. UGH! But it was fine. I tried to stay on top of my nutrition, but I still didn't take in enough fluid because it was so cool and I ended up hundreds of calories short. grrrr.

Yesterday Andy did a 160 mile ride called the Brewery to Brewery Ride or B2B, as it's known around here, which goes from MA to VT. He had fun, and now I want to do it, of course! Someday, someday....

Happy Father's Day to all of you dads out there.
And happy being-a-mom day too because moms rock the house. and make cool cakes. and stuff like that.

15 comments:

Ange said...

I am SO impressed with your cakes!!! Wow. I have to get better about that...I made Nemo once...everyone just chuckled. oh well. You are talented!!!
Great job training. I got to split my long run and ride this week adn that was nice. Yes, the rain is getting OLD!!!! I rode in the rain today too and couldn't see a thing. Yuck.
WE're close girlfriend!!!

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

WOW!! The most creative cake baking skill I have was drawing blues clues paw print on a cupcake. That's where my betty crocker talent stops ! Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Ange said...

oh yeah, the bloody dog paw cracks me up

Swimming for ME said...

See you just get better with age. I need *inspiration* for Dara's cake this year. I hope you will supply me with some. Those 5 hours training rides on the bike should offer you some time to come up with something crafty. Oh that was mean to say. Sorry! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!

Skye said...

I love your cakes, they're fabulous! I am very proud if I manage to make a round cake that rises in the oven and is edible. I cheated a bit this year and let my daughter decorate her own fifth birthday cake, so that everyone would think it was cute rather than just me being a disaster in the kitchen.

Kristina said...

You really have the cake skillz, lady. What will your cake be?? A bike? A Splish? A magic-8 ball?
Happy birthday to the kiddo, and to you, too.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

You really are supermom. Where do you get the time and the energy to bake cakes, train, and everything else you do.

I like anything with the name brewery in it.

Trigirlpink said...

Holy Crap! Those cakes are sooo awesome. Gawd.. I'm just drooling over the top one with all that yummy candy. The dental hygienist wanting the stickest candy around..ha ha!

Kim said...

i hope you got to eat some of that cake! with all those workouts you certainly deserve it! i cant believe you ran 22 miles. that's just plain ridic.

Rainmaker said...

Holy cow those cakes are solid. Well, actually they are likely softer, but you know what I mean. I think you should put some in a box and send it to me. No?

Michelle Simmons said...

Oh no!?!? Do I have to start making cakes like that? B/c I really am pretty sure that I will not be able to do that.
Glad you had a great long run! :)

Jennifer Harrison said...

Um, yeah, about this whole "time to make custom, kick ass cake thing".....!!!! :)) CLOSE CLOSE! HANG in there!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Pedergraham said...

Every one of those cakes is great. And so nice that you and your big girl could make one together for your little girl. These will be nice memories for your children.

Speed Racer said...

And all I kept thinking was, "What if she used her powers for evil rather than good?" You know, like bachelorette party cakes and stuff shaped like... never mind.

I can't believe that Andy did the B2B. I must have been the only cyclist in Boston who didn't! Congratulations to him, and to you on your (too long) training run. 3 hours is a LONG ASS TIME to be running alone!

Joanna said...

Some really creative childrens cakes you have come up with. I particularly like the cat mini cakes! I am a fan of mini cakes as they are quick to make and perfect for young kids parties.