Thursday, June 25, 2009

Random Shit


I went into work to clean out my desk, clean up, and bring my files/desk shit etc home.
I am no longer a teacher. At least for now. I'm taking a break.

This is weird for me. I have been teaching since I was 22 years old. Before that I was a swim instructor and camp counselor. Before that I taught ballet. I've spent my life in khakis and clogs--in dusty classrooms with middle school kids. Since I began teaching I have taught at least 1200 hundred kids--more if you count the kids I taught when in grad school as a TA or before I started formally teaching in a classroom. My first sixth grade class of kids are now 27 years old.

I've always taught. It's what I do. I'm not sure I know how to do anything else.

Which is why, in part, I had to stop teaching.

Here I am at 39. I'm not sure what the hell I'm going to do next. The mid-life crisis continues....

Well, actually, I do. Next I'm going to do IronMan. Someone I was just chatting with about IM recommended that I focus on it--and it alone-- from now until L.P. Training for an IronMan has both psychological and physical repercussions. In short, you get a little fucked up when training for an IM. Hence, now is not the time to contemplate the next step. I'm going to take that advice. I have 4.5 weeks until the race. I can focus on just my kids and my training until then.

And speaking of training.....
It has been really intense lately. I am flipping tired. I've been tired before, but this is different. This is like--will I ever be fresh again? kind of tired. Bed always looks inviting and gettting up early again and again and again is just about killing me.

But you know? It makes me happy right now. It's predictable, it's tough, it's rewarding. Most importantly, it feels good to have months and months of hard, long training under my belt. Money in the bank for IM. It's there. No one can take it away.

Tomorrow I ride for 115. It will be the longest ride I've ever done (the previous high being the 112 I did at camp a few weeks back.) I'm psyched. But wary. I'm tired going into this ride. It will be a true test of my physical and mental toughess.

Kurt put the idea of making an M-Dot cake into my mind. I am SO going to do that, in addition to getting my tat--whatever form that takes. I'm going to make that cake, get a few kegs and have a party in Maine after L.P. is over. You're invited.
I can't wait for L.P.

13 comments:

Judi said...

Go Mary!!! 4.5 weeks. WOW.

Ange said...

when's the party?

Swimming for ME said...

An M-dot cake...hmmmm... now there is an idea for a rainy day.

Love the party plan! Can't wait.

Nitsirk said...

Don't worry, you'll be awesome. I defended my Ph.D, found a new job and moved all in the 6 months preceding IMLP. You will find something. Ever think of coaching?

Kristina said...

Cake, tattoos, parties--all worth the fatigue, in my opinion. And all definitely deserved. You're quite the inspiration; you should be a coach.

Velma said...

I agree with the coach idea - just like teaching but different and a new challenge. Rock the next 4.5 weeks.

Rainmaker said...

Good luck tomorrow on the ride!

Kim said...

can we involve beers? lots of beers? go get that ride - it has to be easy than your terrible century experience with andy ;)

Regina said...

New to your blog (thanks to Marathon Mama) You are way ahead of me in triathlon terms, but at 42 I'm feeling the same thing as you career-wise. What else do I know besides art and design?

good luck with the ride. I'll definitely follow you to IM....I want a slice of M-dot cake! yummers!

robinbb said...

Congrats on putting yourself and your family first! I can't wait to read how your IM goes. Have fun on your long ride.

maria conley said...

Mary, you are tired now, but on race day you will feel refresh and ready. LP, is going to make you the happiest person alive. After LP, can you teach/coach me how to swim. Love U

Kurt P. said...

bring your cake and beer to Maine...I will consume them:-)

Train Mary, see you on the 26th...screaming my brains out with about 6 stops watches running!:-)

Speed Racer said...

Oooooooh! Where/when in Maine?

If you have time between your kids and your training (or even if you want company on one of your rides), give me a call.

I'm sure that quitting teaching is like graduating from college, finishing an ironman, and the first day of a much-needed vacation all rolled up into one. I bet it's even better than the day I quit running. Congratulations!