Friday, July 16, 2010

Getting Fit

Before:

After:  




A few days back  I went to see the master smarty pants guru of power and speed, Kurt to have a bike fitting.  Pretty cool, huh? Don't I look so much more like I'm supposed to look in that second picture? You know, like a ball? I'm psyched!
On a side note, I also need to give a shout out to my fab. posse at lululemon. Those freaking padded bras are awesome. I totally look like I actually have a chest in these pictures! It's like-- a miracle!

Kurt messed mostly with my bars and stem. He took out a few spacers, moved the bars closer together, and then tilted the horns upward. The effect is that I feel like my elbows are in a sort of trough. At first it felt very wrong when riding, but after a few hours out it is starting to feel more normal. One thing I did note on my ride this morning: my watts were sort of pathetic, but my speed was faster than normal. This is, of course, what I was hoping to see. Thanks, Kurt. 

I was feeling incredibly ready to get back to training last week, and on Monday, I got my wish. I've been swimming in the Atlantic with Alina, running a ton, and on my bike enough to know I'm psyched about my new fit. Today, though, I hit the wall. Isn't that always the way? I had a great brick planned that involved a few fast intervals and some fast running. However, I got on my bike at 6 am and knew immediately the brick was not going to happen as planned. I was so tired, and my throat hurt, and my muscles felt sore--kinda everywhere. You know that feeling? I had also had night sweats the night before and had had trouble sleeping. The symptoms are always the same for me. I wanted to ignore them--but I know my body too well. It wouldn't let me ignore them. Today I was riding easy.

I rode for two hours and crawled off the bike and called it a day. Alina had coffee and pastries waiting. Husbands take note: that's how it's done!

I need to say that like so many of you, I really hate when my body decides things are going to be different than I want them to be. I'm so jazzed to race fast the rest of the season and I'm already planning for my next IM. I want to rush rush rush--to get back into peak condition RIGHT NOW. But the body just won't let me rush like that. It pisses me off and it's hard to listen. I want to believe I'm just being a wimp, that I really have no symptoms of fatigue at all. But the symptoms are always the same. I know what I'm dealing with... sigh.

Just curious, what symptoms do you experience when your body wants to let you know it's had enough and it's time to slow down and rest?





13 comments:

Running and living said...

First, you look amazing. You mentioned something about gaining weight in your last post, I don't see that:)

Honestly, I don't think that I have ever pushed my body so hard as to feel overtrained (but I've only been running until recently). I am, however, concerned about that now when I am putting in about 55 miles/week running, 110-120 bike and 5-6 swim. I sleep a ton, and eat well, and I think these help, but will see... Hopefully if it happens, I'll be able to let my body rest rather than push through...

Annie Crow said...

Mostly I get fatigued from NOT. ENOUGH. SLEEP. I've never been a good sleeper but with a little one it's just gotten worse, and of course I'm waaaay more active now, both because of the little one and because I'm working out way more than I ever did (though not as much as I'd like!). I know I've hit my personal wall when I get shaky and/or vertigo. Then I have to make sure I back off and prioritize sleep for a few days.

Regina said...

It is usually general fatigue. Sometimes I don't even know if it is mental or physical..I. just. can't. do. it. Although, I will say that I have dealt with my rash of sore throats always after extreme physical exertions. Like my body just says, "enough for now."

You're adjusted fit makes you look badass!

Aimee said...

Woohoo for an awesome bike fit! It really makes a huge difference!

When my body has had enough I just feel fatigued all over. I feel like I'm moving in slow motion and all I want to do is lay down and veg.

solobreak said...

If you really want to go nuts, my team mate just opened a low-speed wind tunnel test facility in southern NH. He would approve of the way the tail of your aero helmet is tight against your back. Gives me shit because my neck is too inflexible to do that with my current helmet. A tight little tail is always a good thing!

Jean, aka Mom said...

Oh, Mary,
I just love Solobreak's double
entendre " A tight little tail is always a good thing!" Maybe you better NOT put out my response for general edification! It's just such
a 'truth'!

GetBackJoJo said...

I do love a little fresh word play, Solobreak... :) And Of course I also love that I have a mom that can appreciate such a truth!

John said...

I get a cold. It's my body's way of telling me I've worn it out and need to back off a bit.

Annie Crow said...

Oh, forgot to mention that you look totally kickass in that second picture. Yay for professional fittings!

mjcaron said...

I can't believe the difference your fit made. It makes me wonder about my own fit! Yes, it's cool.

I get despondant and loose interest. That's when I know I need a day off and I'm really just tired because I always feel better a day two later.

Unknown said...

You look so much more streamlined in the second picture. What a difference.

As far as pushing myself too far, I just tend to break. Literally. A muscle here, a muscle there, or just an entire body revolt. I hate it and it sucks but I haven't learned to avoid it yet. Getting adequate sleep just never happens so that tends to exacerbate the problem, especially when the club wants to run at ungodly early hours.

Jennifer Harrison said...

Mary! Your bike change/fit looks VERY good - glad Kurt could help you with that!

And, yeah...you know...the body is fickle...it will take awhile to feel super on some of those snappier workouts.

HOpe you are enjoying the vacay too!

And, personally, if I sleep and eat well, I feel super - otherwise, I am sol. thank goodness my kids are not babies anymore and I can sleep!

Jon said...

I am happy that I found your blog! Awesome that you will be returning to Lake Placid next year. I hope I can pepper you with Q's! I also noticed on your race schedule that you will be doing Timberman in a few weeks? I will be there. Hope to meet you!