Friday, July 30, 2010

Lake Placid 2011

Here I come!

On Friday afternoon Andy and I left the kids with my cousin Lauren (the most beautiful and awesome babysitter in the world) and headed to Lake Placid.
This was what the kids did while I was gone. This beautiful piece of art work was inspired by the 2009 Guinness Book of World Records:


Here was the plan for MY weekend:
Ride/run/swim/drink beers with Andy, catch up with all my Mainer friends who were down to race or spectate, volunteer at mile 4 of the run on Sunday, and finally, TO SIGN UP for 2011.

I did all of the above.

We stayed in a little dive of a hotel in Saranac Lake. We could've camped, but I decided that might ruin the fun a bit. I've never been to Lake Placid when it hasn't rained, and I really hate camping in the rain. Okay, FINE, I admit it! I hate camping. I want to be a camper chick--and trust me--I have done my fair share of camping. Alina and I lived in a tent for a few months when I we were young lassies and we went cross-country, for example. I also lassoed Andy into my lair by convincing him I was camper girl way back in the days of yore. Only when we were well established did he find out I was a fraud who actually liked plush hotels and super expensive spas as opposed to sleeping on a therma-rest.

Anyway. This weekend was great. Andy and I rode one lap of the LP course on Saturday. He kicked my ass, which was not particularly amusing, but I still had a good ride. Lots and lots and lots of bikers out there, many all decked in their IM attire, so all knew that even though they had no blue bracelet this year, they had donned said bracelet in the past. Most of the riders were there to spectate or to sign up for 2011-although I did spot a few dumb asses who were racing and yet out riding the day before the big show anyway. duh. I then went for a great run. Andy again kicked my ass, but I ran well (for me). I finished the day off with a dip in Lake Mirror... ahhhh.... a great day!  I love those days that are devoted solely to working out/outdoor play. Andy made me work harder than I wanted to, but how can you argue with swim/bike/run on a beautiful day and a beautiful course?

That night we went out to dinner with Ange and family, and Ange's little brother Jeff (who is not little anymore, but whatever) and Jeff's family. Jeff competed on Sunday (and would go on to do very very awesomely well.) I must admit it was a tad pleasant to be out the night before Ironman and have a glass of wine. I felt the pre-race excitement, but not the nerves. That was a treat. I like Jeff and his wife Leigh (who is so signing up for LP in 2011, I know it!) so that made the dinner even more fun. Here is Jeff on the bike on Sunday:


We got up on race day to watch the swim start. I knew about a hundred people racing, but of course I could identify no one. My friend Mike got a bunch of awesome pics, though. He somehow was a VIP and got into the swim start area so his pics are phenomenal. (He's also just a great photographer.)
The two girls smiling, arms in the air, are Erin and Stacy, who trained together, and also swam together! The last picture of is of Carrie, who kicked some tail in this race and qualified for Kona- (but decided against going...She's going to Clearwater instead.)

Good pics, huh? Watching the swim start both inspired and instilled renewed fear in me. Before I had done an IM swim, watching \the IM swim start was pure inspiration. Unfortunately, I now know full well what is happening when the canon booms and the washing machine begins churning. It's insanity.... and maybe not as cool to be swimming in it as watching it. Still, it was hair-raising to watch the start, and got me SO PSYCHED for 2011.

Okay, this post is too long already, so I will write another after the weekend.
I am racing on Sunday--my first race since CDA. I hope to do awesome, but my legs are still a bit IM'd... They just aren't moving as fast as they should quite yet. Ange is racing too. RR when I get back!

11 comments:

Velma said...

Good luck this weekend! Congrats on signing up for 2011.

Jon said...

I did basically the same as you on Saturday up at Lake Placid. Talk about awesome being able to practically do a HIM in awesome weather but with, like you said, NO prerace nerves. If only my mental state of mind could be that way @ a REAL race!

LDub said...

LP doesn't know whats in store for them next year!! congrats and can't wait to hear the rr about this weekend.

Sarah Woulfin said...

Have a rad race!!

Kim said...

good luck this weekend! and yay for IMLP 2011, back in the washing machine you go!

and biggest butts? hahahaa, hilarious!

Michelle Simmons said...

Yay for Lake Placid 2011! Awesome. That swim start has got to be one of the craziest in all of Ironman. Too small of a space to fit THAT many people!!

MaineSport said...

You're right, Jeff was awesome. It must have been great/wierd to be there and not race. Come one, admit it, your doing IMLP just so the blog is great for the next 12 months. ;-) Hope to see you soon!

Swimming for ME said...

Wait how the heck did Stacy and Erin manage to come out of that blender together? I'll have to ask them.

Noah - watch out 1st grade!

Judi said...

i cannot believe you are doing IMLP again. why not come do IMKY with meeeeeeee???

Running and living said...

Next year I will volunteer with my friend Mary (and register for 2012), so I'll be cheering you on:)

Caratunk Girl said...

Yeah! See you at IMLP next year!! Sounds like there is a slew of us blogger folks going to be there!