Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'm Your Surfer Girl

NOT.
Alina has wanted to take a surfing lesson for --- ummmm--- ummmm---- well, forever.

Today we finally did it. And I sucked. But hey! It was still fun!

We got up early, got the kids scrubbed, fed, and lubed up in sunscreen for camp, met the babysitter and said Good Luck (Six kids under age nine. We are evil.) Then we headed down to Kennebunk to test the surf! Believe it or not there is some surf in Maine, and today it was actually quite rough out there. The waves were more choppy and angry than big and rolling, but there were some tasty waves to be had. I didn't have any though. Not really.

I think I need to short board. The board I got was 10 feet long and some, and frankly, I couldn't handle the thing. I couldn't even carry it sideways b/c my arm didn't reach to the bottom of it! I had a hard time paddling out over the surf too, but I think this has to do with the fact that I don't really get how to move forward when a huge wave crashes on me while I'm trying to paddle. Alas. At one point a wave broke on me and the board just flew over my head and I went crashing all over. The fin on the underside of the board somehow smashed my hip and boy oh BOY does it fucking hurt now. But I am whining. I think I may just be bitter that I wasn't super cool awesome surfer chick my first time out.

I made it up to the point where I had my feet on the board a few times--but I was never able to let go without immediately getting dumped. Alina, on the other hand, was a surfer natural. She got up five freaking times! (I'm jealous.)

I think I may stick to body surfing. I'm an awesome body surfer. Alina, of course, wants to go REAL surfing again, though, so I think I may be surfing again sooner rather than later. Maybe I'll body surf while she goes after the real deal... I don't know yet.

After our surfing adventure we got lunch at a little Mexican place in Portland and had maragaritas on the rocks. I'm not sure it was even noon yet.... Have I mentioned that the week Alina and I send the kids off to day camp for the week is one of the best of the summer--of the year--of my life?

As for training... welll.
I had to run for an hour when I got home. Running after maragaritas is never ever a good idea. I just thought I'd tell you. I'm back to swimming, biking and running--albeit I am pokey and I have gained a few pounds of post IM indulgence and it is simply no fun to carry that around. I know enough to know it will go away with training and a little more discpline than well, maragaritas at noon, for example... but it seems very annoying to me that it trakes so much time to get fit and slim, and so little time to get lazy and rotund.

Tomorrow's indulgence with Alina: massage and then lunch. It may be wine at noon.... (I"m not making progress yet, am I...) Maybe a pedicure too since my nails are on the nasty side. My feet are always nasty, but a little polish looks good on even the most homely feet, right?

ciao.

13 comments:

Aimee said...

I think it's awesome that you tried surfing! And, there is nothing wrong with margaritas in the middle of the day! :)

Michelle Simmons said...

If it's any consolation, I can't surf either. It's very sad, actually, given my love for swimming and my love for the ocean and my love for my bad ass surfer husband. But I just cannot do it.

MaineSport said...

Try running WITH mararitas- in yur fuel belt. After all, this is a great time to try new nutrition techniques. They are cool, go down easy, aren't sugary, and best of all, make you feel better. And you are carrying salt anyway....

John said...

Be glad you only hurt your hip. When my wife and I took surfing lessons in Oahu two years ago, she ended up breaking her toe. :)

Nitsirk said...

I just heard an ad on the radio for surfing lessons in OOB and I was very tempted. It's definitely on my "bucket list."

Ange said...

I think Steve is on to something....

Running and living said...

I want a week like yours! Enjoy! I have never tried surfing, but that makes sense given that up to recent times I had a water phobia.

Tricia said...

You deserve the margaritas AND the wine! Been there - I did a 40 mile bike after 3 beers the other day . . . not pretty!

Tricia said...

You deserve the margaritas AND the wine. Been there - I biked 40 miles after 2 beers the other day . . . not pretty!

mjcaron said...

You should indulge all week. Don't worry about a few pounds. Enjoy your summer! Hope to see you soon!

Amanda said...

So much fun! I feel rotund after just a few days of post-HIM...and too many celebratory beers. We beat our bodies into submission about 48 weeks of the year. A couple weeks of pre-noon margaritas is a-ok. balance... :)

Annie Crow said...

So cool that you tried it!

Judi said...

mary, you gotta do some planks girl! surfing is all core, isn't it?