Monday, April 18, 2011

Boston Marathon! The RR

I had a great run.

Don't get me wrong....
It did not feel great, especially at the end, but it was still a great run.

This is the short version of my RR:

I felt GREAT for the first 10 miles! Then I felt pretty good for the next 6 miles. Then I really did not feel very good for the next 6 miles after that. Then I really wanted to collapse on the ground and cry and have someone carry me home. Then I saw the end and it looked about five thousand miles away and I ran like a wild woman with hands and legs flailing all over the place and spit coming out my nose and eyes and mouth and then I was there!! And I crossed the line! And....And....

WTF! They so don't catch you like they do in IM. I wanted a catch! Instead. I staggered a bit and then some very stand-offish dude said, Nice Job. Now keep walking.

Isn't that just about the essence of the marathon???

****GREAT!/  Good.../not so good/  Dear GOD end soon or I will die for sure/....THE END THE END THE END! Stagger.****

______ Long Version of RR:

The pre-race festivities were lovely... until about 10 minutes before the start.  I was hanging with my friend Zac (who went a 2:54!! GO Zac!) and my new friend Teresa. We had a leisurely stroll to the athlete village, and then a leisurely pee after waiting in line at the porta-potties, and then we went to drop our bags off at bag check. Except.... where was bag check?  Too late we realized that bag drop off was like a mile away. And it was 10 minutes til go time....
Oh yeah... there was a big OH FUCK right about that point.

Zac took our bags and ran them out to the baggage check.
He is a God.
I will be eternally grateful to Zac. You are the man. I owe you like 500 Guinness. Thank you.

Meanwhile Teresa and I started jogging to our corral. We kept jogging. And jogging. We were in corral eight of nine. There were 8000 people in front of us. We had to go like a mile down to the road to get to our starting point. Then, once the gun went off, it took us more than five minutes to get back up the road to the starting line. Insane!

The first miles were very difficult... because I am  not patient. Boston is an insidious course. It starts downhill for the first 4 miles. I ask you, who needs 4 miles of downhill at the START of a marathon? And more importantly, who needs four miles of uphill starting at mile 17? That is like a super cruel joke. Really. It is.

I tried to hold back, but I felt like I was running on air. It felt SO easy. But I had to hold back. You can't jackrabbit a marathon--even if it does start downhill. My patience was further tested because there were, well, 8000 runners ahead of me, and there was literally no room to move. Between trying to keep a reasonable pace and continually getting boxed in, I felt like a caged animal.

This feeling pretty much lasted until mile 10. I felt super, but I also felt pissy. I knew I could fly, but I couldn't.grrrr. Get out of my way!!

By mile 13 I no longer felt boxed in, but there were still people all around me. However, at this point I was no longer holding back anyway. I was just holding. I felt good, sort of... but certainly not quite as super as I had been feeling at mile 10. Still, I had no doubt I could keep pace. And I did. For four more miles.

I saw my mother and father in-law at about mile 15, and that was a boost. Then I saw Andy and the kids at mile 15.75, and that was a huge boost! My kids had this sweet sign Jordan had painted... Go Mom! Keep Running! SO adorable. I will keep it forever.

Unfortunately, the sign did not prevent me from the feeling the inevitable. Soon after I passed them I started to no longer feel good--at all. In fact, I felt barely tolerable. I knew I could continue on indefinitely, but frankly, I wasn't too psyched about what the next 10 miles might hold.

I hit the first hill. Ewwwww. Then that was over and I was all good again. I saw my athlete, Kelly. Big Boost. Then another hill...and ewwwwww. Wow. My pace was really dropping. Then it was flattish, and I was okay, but really, well, hurting. And then there was Heartbreak Hill... ewwwwww

At this point I drew strength from my two marathon IM experiences. I had felt so much worse during those marathons. And here? Well sure, I hurt. But was I barfing? no. Was I shitting? no. Was I about to pass out? no. Okay then. I was fine. Just run and stop your bitching, self. Just run.

By mile 21 I was feeling maybe a little loopy and definitely achy, and I had definitely slowed down, but I noted that I was passing many people, so even though my pace had slowed considerably, I was still doing better than some others. That is always a boost, don't you think?... I may feel like crap, but I'm sure I don't look as bad as that dude... 

The last miles of the race were really a blur. I hurt. I hurt everywhere. I was being passed, but I was also passing people. I really had to talk myself through... Okay... only 5k. You can do a 5k. Okay... only 2.5 That is nothing. Only one mile. Mary... you have this. Just don't crack. etc etc. Until the very last step.

I crossed the line at 3:15:54. I had hoped for as fast as a 3:13... but I was still very very very very happy with a 3:15... (no matter how high that 3:15!) I had to run 6:55 pace for the last .3 to get that 3:15, so I am so giving myself credit for squeezing in under the 3:16 mark!

Ahhhh ... finished.
After I finished things weren't so good, though.
I felt ... cold. Like immediately. And they make you walk and walk and walk and walk. My bag was so far away...
By the time I had found my way to baggage claim I was shaking--really quite badly. I got the bag, and then tried to find Sharon, my ride home and also the person who would take me to my friend Jeff's (Sharon's husband) office, which was walking distance and I could get changed there.

The only problem was that along with shaking I started to get disoriented. I could not figure out how to get where I was to meet her. And then I couldn't remember her name.
And then I knew I was in big trouble.

I found an EMT and tapped him. I said, shaking, I'm really cold. He looked at me and then everything went very fast. I was in a wheel chair, and then the medical tent. I saw my friend Mark Scribner when I entered and he told me he would find a way to call Andy. And then there was a thermometer in my ear and a group of people putting me on my back and piling blankets on me. I was shaking so hard that I was convulsing, my jaw was so clenched I couldn't really talk, and the woman pushing me in the wheelchair said my facial coloring was blue when they had found me.

A little while later they asked me questions. I don't remember them really. I just know I could not remember Sharon, still, and I couldn't remember Andy's phone number! My temp had climbed to 91 degrees but it wasn't budging. Then they put this super cool blanket thing with a hot air device that blew up like a raft type thing over me. They put my head under it, and wouldn't let me out to peek unless they were pulling it back slightly to take my temperature.  Soon after I was able to give them Andy's number, and I was also able to tell them where I was, my finishing time, my race number, and that my friend's name was Jeff. A+ for me! 

At about 5 pm my temperature finally got to 97.5 degrees and I was set free. It was a happy moment, although to be quite frank I was slightly worried about leaving that super cool air blanket thing and getting chilled again. The doctor began to give me instructions, then changed his mind, turned to Andy and gave them to him instead. If she gets confused... and her temperature falls below 94... emergency room. 

Okay then!
Isn't that an exciting story?
I am such a sucker for drama...
My temperature stayed fine, btw. I almost roasted Andy and my kids out of the car... but it was fine.

The important thing is that it wasn't my running that put me in the med tent. It was my post running situation, which I blame on the BAA for making the baggage claim a mile away from the damn finish. I love the Boston Marathon. But I won't be checking a bag again, that's for sure!

Congrats to all my friends who ran. The conditions were perfect, and I know many people had a great day. I had a great day too.
Thanks to Kurt. You are the best!
Thanks to Zac. Thanks to Mark. Thanks to ANDY for coming to save me!
and thanks for reading!



24 comments:

Jen Allen said...

Now THAT is a badass race report. Congrats on your smokin' finish! You have got to be on such a high now. Great work!

I used to want to have a cool BQ race story. Now I want a cool medical tent story to go along with it. Maybe one day. I'm still trying to run a 4 hour marathon using Run Less Run Faster (Steamboat 6/5). If that doesn't work, I may just need some Mary IronMatron coaching.

kerrie said...

congrats on your p.r. - a solid run, but i know, aren't straight marathons a little anti-climactic?
i wonder why that 'cold thing' happens...it almost always happens to me, even in kona - so every year after i finish, i go straight to the hot tub at the king k hotel with the hopes of avoiding the med tent.
next up, placid!!!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Wow, I feel kind of weird about being the first to comment on your blog since I am so new to it. I feel like the first comment on a post as special as this should be left for someone who has read your blog for years and knows you and someone that you know! But here I am, a west coast blogger that is still awake checking Boston reports. I am so impressed with your finishing time! Way to go! This is my goal. How scary to have experienced what you did. I am so glad you were taken care of and are okay now! Great race report...it is so nice to read great writing AND a great story! Hope you are feeling happy and proud right now!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!! I thought you were going to say you did a...4:45 or something. 3:15 rocks!! I know that chill. It happened to me 3 weeks ago. Scary. I'm glad you're ok. Way cool to have friends and fam out there too! Yay!!

John said...

Congrats Mary! Glad you're okay after your hypothermia. Very glad you were smart enough to know you were in trouble.

sallyaston said...

Woohoo! 3:15! Congrats, that is awesome. A bit scary post race for you but glad youare OK :-)

Ewa said...

Mary, you are a hero.
Congrats on a great race.
Sorry about the finish. I guess even Boston could use some reorganizing.
What's important is that you are fine and you did great.
Hope you will do some big celebrating now.

Eileen said...

Congratulations!! I always enjoy your spunky RR's. Hope you're feeling post-race goodness now.

donna furse said...

OMG, so amazing but most importantly thank goodness your ok. Great Race my friend, I don't know anyone else who pushes themselves as hard as you do in a race, way to kill it.

kT said...

Holy crap--great race! (I followed you during the day while I "worked.") And glad you lived to tell the tale--I get the cold thing too, and the worst ever was when I ran Boston in '95 and had to make it to the Common to get my bag. But as with everything, you excelled even at that, you with the med tent story.

And I'll be really bummed if you edit this post so the title doesn't say "Martahon" any more.

Airy Nothing said...

Hurray! Congratulations on an excellent, excellent race! And a PR -- at Boston?? Go, you!

Jenn said...

Awesome job!!! Seriously the best race report I've read! Funny funny, no bullshit, loved it!!! I tracked you yesterday too. Those dang baggage claims are WAY too far away. I wasn't in a medical tent but disoriented maybe just from exertion and emotion and it seemed like FOREVER away. Then I couldn't remember where my hotel was to walk back too. Struggler. I'm glad you were OK-what a smokin' awesome time!!!

I just backread about 20 of your posts here! Love your blog. Again, Congrats!!

GetBackJoJo said...

kT, It is a rather nice little play on martyr, now isn't it?

Jenn said...

Oh-and found you through Ana Maria-another superstar:)

Jenn said...

Geez, comment #3. I was talking about me and last year. Didn't run it this year.

mjcaron said...

Congrats! Glad you are OK. Isn't Andy's phone number only one digit off of yours? :) Kinda scary.

That is a hidiously long walk to the busses. Once you are at the busses you are lucky if you are not waiting another half hour for them to find your bag.

Kathy and I were at 14.5. We road our bikes to the race and watched. It was a perfect day!

Running and living said...

Congrats again! Very well done. One of the things I like most about you is your ability to squeeze every once of energy out of you; you do this in a smart, controlled way, but it is a pattern in your races. Love the "I am not shitting, barfing, I am good to go". I might use that:) Rest well!

Running and living said...

One more thing....I am always cold after hard efforts...in the winter nothing warms me up and i end up cold an entire day after a long run. Not sure what is going on, I think it may have something to do with too many calories burned and a lowering of the metabolism..

kT said...

Yes, a martyrthon indeed. I actually saw the title out of the corner of my eye at first and thought it was something like "Marython," which seemed like an uncharacteristic attack of cuteness for you.

Swimming for ME said...

Um...glad you are alive... and awesome job!!
xxoo

CouplaHounds said...

Congrats on a great run! Kinda scary scenario in the med tent, though. But I'm glad you came around and warmed up. Enjoy the recovery week!

Mike Platt said...

I sent you a picture in private e-mail. My sister-in-law took a couple random shots and you appeared.

You are a very good racer, very good.
Never be afraid! You know what I mean, I am certain.

Here are some links to pics.

1. Winners

http://i54.tinypic.com/24fbvix.jpg

2. My nephew and Ryan

http://i52.tinypic.com/zwe0xy.jpg

3. You

http://i51.tinypic.com/eqc7pd.jpg

Big Daddy Diesel said...

This was a great race report, CONGRATS

Petraruns said...

This is SUCH a dramatic report and I can't believe it took me so long to read it. Girl you had me worried there. Congrats on the SMOKIN' time and the attitude all along - you're an inspiration. But hope you can avoid that medical tale in future. It WAS a super long walk, even for us slow buds..