Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What's Going ON

Hi. It's been awhile. And there's lots to write about. And not.

Let's see...

Boston is about a week and half away. I am number 7986.  For those of you out on the course, this means I will have on a red bib and I will start at 10 a.m. I will likely be wearing a Tri-Bike shirt (red, white and black with a big bike on the front that frames my non-existent boobs). So cheer me on if you see me. Cheer really loudly. Thanks.

I'm excited to race. I'm still not exactly sure what my pacing plan is, but it is forming. Boston is tricky because the first 15 miles are a net downhill. And then you have those nasty hills that come at such an inconvenient time in the race... Still, I hope to get a personal best time.

Last weekend my family headed up to Maine to hang out with Ange and her family. We had an awesome time. On Saturday morning Ange and I got up early to go for a run. I had my last long run before Boston... a 17 miler, and Ange agreed to do it with me. The night before Ange had made sure I understood what I was getting into. The area in which she lives is mountainous. I knew this... yeah yeah yeah. I can do hills. I will be fine....

Oh MAMA! I'm not sure how much climbing we did, but it was A LOT. My pace was a good 30-40 seconds slower on average than it is when I run around here, and we have hills here, too! I'm not sure I would have completed the run if Ange hadn't been with me; I'm fairly certain I would have found a reason to cut it short. But we did it all.... I remember during the final 1/2 hour we began climbing a steep hill. I made the mistake of looking ahead... and could see how this hill went on and on and on... winding and winding. I wanted to cry. I was so trashed already! But we trudged up that hill... and like all things, eventually it did come to end!

After the run we headed to Sunday River to go skiing. Well, my family and Ange and her family skied. I stayed inside and read all day! (And oh... it was lovely...I'm reading Tom Perrotta lately--just finished The Abstinence Teacher, which was excellent.) But the kids definitely had fun.




After skiing we went out to eat with Ange's family and some of their  friends, and let me just say, I am NOT in good drinking shape!After just a few drinks I wanted to go to bed... it was rather pathetic. Mark (Ange's Mark), however, WOULD NOT LET ME go to bed. So up I got... and rallied... sort of. :) I used to be such a partier! Oh sad sad sad...

This weekend I'm off to Maine again to hang out with my Bates friends. We will shop and eat out and chat. I can't wait. And of course I will squeeze in a few runs. Boston ... so close. Can't wait.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Good run! I'm from Portsmouth NH and used to run Maine often. The hills will help you in Boston mentally. I just did a hill workout for a hilly race I have this sat. Afterwards I felt a little more confident!
You'll kill Boston!! Can't wait!

Kim said...

you will be so far ahead of me at the marathon, but i will be cheering you on from back in wave 3!!!!! you are ready. cant wait to see how you do!

RW said...

I'll be at mile 23 and will scream my head off if I see you go by!!!

Robin said...

Best of luck at Boston. A good hilly workout ahead of time will probably make Boston seem almost flat. Well, maybe! Good luck!

mjcaron said...

I can't believe it's so close. I just realized that yesterday. I thought, cool Boston, cool I have the day off!

Swimming for ME said...

I love that book!! I am reading Bossypants by Tina Fey. You just gotta love the title alone.

tri like mary said...

Oh you haven't seen hills 'til you've been to my neck of the woods. You know I'm soo kidding.

I will stalk you online during Boston and will be screaming my head of for you for sure!

Running and living said...

I am so excited to see you kill this race! Because you always do! I expect a HUGE PR (no pressure!), based on your recent half, sub 3:10 looks v possible! I'll be cheering you on and tracking you and thinking about you. Puke if you have to:)

kerrie said...

how exciting - you are almost there! i'm hoping to finally get my shit together and register for next year. personally, i think if you run a marathon well, you should NOT be able to negative split...if you are running hard enough and at your limit, you should slow down no matter what towards the end as you run out of fuel and your legs start to fall apart ;) so i say use that downhill gain at the beginning.