Thursday, April 21, 2011

Let's Get This Part-A Started!

Yesterday I had the most indulgent day ever. It's vacation week, so I have the kids home all day, but yesterday my in-laws took them. They did wholesome things like play charades, and then they went to the library. I kid you not. They really did both.

Anyway. While they were being treated to wholesomeness instead of another episode of Good Luck, Charlie, I was out spoiling myself. First I got a really good massage from my masseuse, Margaret Karg. She is the BOMB of sports massage. She stands on you and uses her feet using this technique called Ashiatsu Oriental Bar Therapy. After my massage I got a pedicure and manicure. My feet are nasty on a good day: post-marathon they are nasty squared. I'm always grateful when the pedicurist even agrees to deal with them at all. Now my toes are painted grape, and so are my short fingernails. I feel very.... grape. I then went to my very favorite consignment shop and bought several stylish, adorable, inexpensive used items of clothing. Oh, and I also bought a funky pair of jeweled flip-flops and some cool earrings. I then trotted off to Starbucks and had a large hazelnut latte. I then went home to finish a super book I was reading (The Paris Wife--a story narrated by Hemingway's first wife. Absolutely brilliant. So good. Made me want to go to Paris and drink and write.) Finally I took the dogs for a very long walk in the woods.

WHAT A PERFECT DAY.
The only bad part was that it ended, and the kids came home.
That was a bummer.

After my perfect day I decided I was ready to face the music:

It is time to focus on IM training. Bring it on, Baby!

I got up this morning and had a decent swim workout. I was slow, but at least I completed it, which is more then I can say for my swim workouts in the last week as I anticipated running Boston. Then I had kids over all day b/c it's school vacation week and they BEGGED to have friends over and well, I caved. By the time said kids had gone home (actually one was still here) I finally got on the bike for my second workout, and did... oh..... not quite the whole thing.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat start.

Sigh.
Okay.... so maybe I start TOMORROW.
That's it. Tomorrow I will execute it all perfectly. I know it.

I leave you with a few Boston Marathon pics.
What have I to say about these pictures?
(Other than, yes, I know I stole them and they say proof all over them as a result.
Naughty.)

But really, my first thought upon seeing them?

Dear GOD I need a dye job. My hair looks like shit! As soon as I saw the pics I scheduled a hair appointment for a cut and color. It's orange for crying out loud! When did this happen? How long have I had horribly disgusting orange hair????
Also, I think it is very curious that my lips appear to already be BLUE. Remember the hypothermia? What was going on? Had my body temp. already dropped? Very very very interesting, I say.
I know I am not smiling in any of these pictures. Frankly, I was working too damn hard to smile. Frowns and grimaces are much more becoming, anyway, don't you think?






15 comments:

Running and living said...

I saw you on TV as you crossed the finish line. Now I know for sure bc I can see the outfit! So glad you had such a day! Maybe the in laws can make taking the kids over a habit?

Anonymous said...

Your hair doesnt look bad, I promise. Must be the lighting in the pictures! If it did, I would have told you in Quincy :)

Awesome race!!

Pam said...

I LOVE your day. That sounds to me like an un-birthday. eg) stuff you would treat yourself to on your b-day when it is not actually your b-day. I am adding that book to my ridiculously long "to read" list.

Amanda@runninghood said...

This day of yours sounds heavenly! I so need a day like that. My legs are tired from training, my toes have not been done since August (the day I tripped in the forest and ripped my hamstring up), and my hair hasn't been cut in moooonths! Sounds like a well deserved day for you! And the pictures, I didn't notice your hair at all. RAther, I was noticing your perfect non heel striking stride and form. And your strong legs! How did you get these proofs on here? I've tried with race photos but can copy them. I have no clue how so many of you bloggers do it.

Unknown said...

I think the pics are great! I love the one of you rounding the corner - glad you enjoyed some YOU time!
I had to laugh about the hair; I spent so much money on a new bike, wheels etc. I have not had my hair done in MONTHS!!!! Finally, highlight time tomorrow :)

Mike Platt said...

A lesson for all recovering marathoners the days after a race comes in the form of a line from Pulp Fiction:

...you may feel a slight sting. That's pride f###ing with you. F### pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps ...

Unknown said...

Red shirt! No wonder why I missed you, I was looking for...some other color. Yeah, that's it.

As a man I can confidently say that i did not notice your hair at all.

Ange said...

I hope you beat that girl in the pink shirt. :o)
Your day of pampering sounds wonderful and was well earned. I love the pictures! You look tough in your black kicks....

mjcaron said...

Are those lunarglides? I have the same shoes. I love them.

Jenn said...

Oh yes-I have an arsenal of stolen race pics. Most of them showing me apparently try to tickle my own armpits while collapsing my lower jaw and of course the heel strike but damn I always make sure my hair looks good! Kidding and I didn't notice your hair one bit!! Orange? I was more drawn to your nice legs! Your lips do look blue though! Loved the pics and again, great race!

Glad you had the "perfect" day. Jealous of your Sports massage!!!!

Swimming for ME said...

I think it is the red shirt not your hair. love how you get those free pics everytime :) what an amazing job you did!! (blue lips or not).

Adrienne said...

I am smiling in all my race pictures. Beaming actually. Now I have proof that I was not pushing it.

mjcaron said...

I don't understand what happened to you with the hyperthermia. I wonder if there were many other people who succummed to the same thing. Or, are you just weird? LOL

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

great pics, even if you did borrow them. i'm just now trying to get caught up on my blog reading. Need more days in the week and hours in the day...ugh! Your Boston time was freakin awesome girl! Great job and you didn't die at the end is even better.

Petraruns said...

Love Mike Platt's comments. And re the blue lips - I've had that once, when i ran London. Really weird and it took ages to sort itself out after the race.

Great day. What a GREAT day you had - so glad you enjoyed it.