Friday, September 9, 2011

A Wet One

Because you asked... here is THE PURSE.
It's a beauty, eh?

On Wednesday I went for a long ride. Or I was supposed to go for a long ride. Thirty-five minutes into it I looked down and observed my front tire. Was it flat?
I stopped. Usually I'm wrong. Usually a tire I believe is flat is totally fine and I kick myself for being so damn paranoid.
Not this time.

I changed it. I got really dirty, because, I need to add here, it was pouring out. Kurt's favorite little adage about riding in the rain: We are not motivated by the sky....

Well now. Honestly, I'm not motivated by the sky. It's also fair to say, however, that I can be extremely un-motivated by the sky. The forecast for Wednesday was not firing my motivation, but it was definitely dampening it. The hourly forecast looked something like:

8 am rain, 9 am rain, 10 am rain, 11 am rain, 12 pm rain, 1 pm rain, 2 pm rain, 3 pm rain

and so on. Still, I went out bravely into the cold, wet misery.
And now I here I was--alone, cold, soaked, dirty, and changing a tire on the side of the road as cars drove by me mercilessly, splattering me in muddy guck.
BTW, does anyone know a trick for not freezing your fingers off when you use the Co2? I find I have to hold the canister firmly in place or some of the Co2 leaks instead of going into the tube, but when I hold it my fingers FREEZE. It's awful. Anyway.
After changing the tire I put everything bike into my little pouch and headed on my merry, dirty, wet way. Two minutes later I observed my front tire. FLAT AGAIN.

I admit I got a little weepy. It was one of those moments during which I really wanted a knight in shining armor to ride up and throw me on the back of his steed, bring me home, put me in front of a warm fire and give me hot cocoa.
Alas, not to be. There were no knights riding around on Washington St in Walpole on this sad, rainy day.

I changed the flat, and then observed the grim reality. I had no more tubes and no more Co2. Additionally, I was just forty minutes into a five+ hour ride and I had lost a good 25 minutes fixing flats. Here is the thing: to get in a five + hour ride I have to leave immediately after the kids get on the bus. Once riding there is no fucking around taking breaks to have a snack or take a long piss. Every minute counts if I want to get home and also get the transition run in before the kids get off the bus. Losing a half hour was not good.  Not good at all.

And so I headed home. I worried the whole way I would flat again. Clearly there was something embedded in the tire that I had not found while changing the tube in the pouring rain.

About ten minutes before I reached my house I looked down at my front tire, and I saw..... not a flat. I saw a BUBBLE. My tire was bubbling! I stopped and examined the bubble. Slowly, slowly it was expanding to form a rip.

Okay, I did cry. I cried and walked home in the rain, in my cleats, muddy, dejected, alone, pitiful. WHY hadn't I changed the tire? I knew it was old! I knew it had very little life in it!
It was truly sad and pathetic.

When I got home I checked into Training Peaks to figure out what I could do instead of the ride. The long run. I'm racing Sunday, so the long run was only an hour. Still. An hour. In the cold rain. I almost burst into tears again.

But of course it was fine. Running in the rain isn't bad at all, really, and there is no chance of getting a flat when running, which is one of the reasons I will always love running MORE than riding.

The  next morning I woke ready to RIDE, BABY! But okay, I admit, I was a little bit leary of going out because the forecast looked surprisingly familiar:
8 am rain, 9 am rain, 10 am rain, 11 am rain, 12 pm rain, 1 pm rain, 2 pm rain, 3 pm rain
I decided to ride the first few hours on the trainer--safe and comfy in my little home as it poured outside.
Naturally I felt guilty. And wimpy.
So I decided to make my ride on the trainer the toughest mother fucking ride ever.
I turned the heat to 87 degrees. I did not use a fan. I rode the watts I was required to ride outside.

OH MY GOD.

I contemplated putting a bucket underneath me just so I could see how fast it would fill with my sweat. A bonus would be I could use it to barf. I have never ever sweat that much in my life. Nasty. Nasty x 1,000,000.

After three hours of sweating like that I went outside to finish the ride. It was still raining, of course, but at least I only had 2.5 hours left, and wasn't staring down 5+ in the pouring rain.
I made it. Granted, Mrs. Z and I were covered in grit and slime and gravel and mud by the end. But I did it.

And today it's sunny out. It's sunny because on my schedule I just have AN INDOOR SWIM.







6 comments:

The Finicky Farmer said...

Rawr, indeed!

At least you won't chance drowning in your own sweat today?

Unknown said...

but...did the rain feel good after the hot trainer mess?

solobreak said...

Dude, WTF? Be flexible. Anyway, Ultraflate Plus for the CO2.

kT said...

Hope you had a great race at Pumpkinman today, Mary! Flats suck, but every time I get one on a training ride I figure (in a totally laughable and unscientific way) that I've "spent" one of my destined flats, which gives me one less in a race someday.

Ange said...

that purse is kinda scary. :) I dare you to travel with it next month.

Swimming for ME said...

What better way to go to Kona? That dog purse will make her stand out from the masses of elite athletes. A woman with her own STYLE.