Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Leaving Maine

I just got home after spending the last week in Maine with my parents and my best friend and her kids. It's always a crazy, exciting, exhausting time when Alina's kids are there with mine. I shed a few tears when leaving. (My tears were nothing compared to my oldest daughter's, though. She was so sad to leave!) 

I love the beach, I love being away from the humdrums of home, I love hanging out with my my good friend from high school! I also love working out in Maine. I was able to get in a few ocean swims, a nice ride out to Fortune's Rocks in Biddeford, and a few good runs. 

This morning's run was the best and my longest since Timberman. It was very cool , almost autumn-like and very quiet because it's so late in the season. I was able to do the middle 4 miles at marathon pace (8:00) so that's good. The rest of the run was pretty slow. I did two ocean water swims--both around 40 minutes. 

On Saturday I went with Alina, which was great, except that it was hard to keep close to her. The ocean was very rough with huge swells and I had a pretty hard time keeping a straight line.  

My bike ride to Fortune's Rocks took me through downtown Biddeford and then out to the coast. I had wanted to see Fortune's Rocks because many of Anita Shreve's books take place there, including the one I just finished, her latest, Body Surfing. It was very beautiful there, but I didn't have a long time to explore because I felt I should get back to the kids. (Andy was there, which is how I escaped in the first place!) 

The last few days I have tried to pick up my mileage for Chicago. I might try to do a 20 miler this weekend. Actually, if I finished 18 I'd be pleased. While I try to pick up my mileage, I've started back to work. The last few days were teacher days and the kids come after Labor Day. I feel ready, but very sad to leave this summer of total triathlon/fitness focus. Teaching full time and being with the kids when I'm not working doesn't leave me a lot of time to train. Weep! It also doesn't leave me a lot of time to blog. Sadness. 

 Here's a few pictures of the kids living it up on the beach. I love summer in Maine! Here is Noah running int the waves, Jordan and Maria (Alina's daughter) about to run the kids OP 1k race and Lara, peering out from under her sun hat at the beach.

No comments: