Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Consequence and Aftermath

There are consequences for every action and an aftermath during which one must deal with the consequences.
Yes, I know this is an obvious observation.

I'm a consquentialist.

Essentially what this means is that I act--or don't act--according to my understanding of the possible consequences involved, and weighing whether the action is right or wrong based on the consequences. It's basically a cost/benefit thing. This is different than people who act according to an internal code--something the self has adopted to guide action. These people act or don't act not according to the consequences generated by an action, but according to an ethical code that has pre-determined the rightness or wrongness of an action. The consequences of an action may be good, but these people (deontologists) still won't act if the action is not inherently right.

For example, a consquentialst may lie to save your feelings.
A deontologist will never lie, because lying is wrong, even if the truth hurts you deeply.

Of course we all have a little of both ways of thinking in us. Most of us, however, lean more closely to one end of the spectrum or the other. Consequentialists are often viewed as lacking a moral compass; deontolgists are often viewed as righteous and dogmatic. I'm pretty sure you know which one you are.

Since the end of last year and the beginning of this year I have acted. I have acted in a consequentialist way. My actions have not always been codified right. But I have acted according to my understanding of the cost/benefit of acting, which is the way I understand the world.

But it's been messy.
And confusing.
And exhausting.
And I've been leaning on my training to provide me with joy, temporary sanity, and peace.

But you can't lean too heavily on your body. You can't expect it not to ever, ever fail you.

Last Friday I had a little, or okay, a large meltdown.
The aftermath of several different actions/ways of being all sort of hit me at once in one massive psychic and physical system failure.
And I went down
. It was ugly.

I was running, an easy 50 minute run, and half way through it I just couldn't do it. My legs became heavy, my heart started racing, I began to pour sweat. I had to stop. I had to sit down. I had to wonder whether I would make it the 3 miles back to my car. I thought I might boot. I thought I might run into the middle of the street and wait for a truck to take me the fuck down.

Speaking of trucks, it's funny how we just truck along, ho hum, thinking we're handling it all just fine.
And then, suddenly, we stop. or fall. or crash.
and we can't seem to get up.

That's kind of what happened.

I hobbled home at a slow pace.
In the car I cried. It was one of those cries were I couldn't stop crying and during which I didn't even care if people in the parking lot saw me cry.

I cried because in that moment--in that hour--my body couldn't handle the intensity or amount of training I was asking it to. It was telling me to cool it--that if I didn't it was game over. That I may be suffering mentally, but that I couldn't make it all okay just by running. or biking. or swimming. or racing. I cried because certain things must be dealt with, and my body was telling me this.
And I. didn't. want. to. fucking. hear. it.


That night I slept 12 hours straight; slept right through the alarm set to get me up to do my 17 mile run. When I woke I put on my running shoes and kissed my kids goodbye, and thanked the hub for allowing me to go for my run later than usual. I stepped out the door, began to run, and had to stop after 49 seconds. Not going to happen. And I came home and cried again.

_________________________
The interesting thing about aftermath is that there is usually growth during it. The word aftermath comes from Old English and literally translates to after mowing. After something is mowed an aftermath grows consisting of new grass that can be left to grow or plowed under to fertilize future growth.

The meltdown really sucked.
But the new grass that is growing now is nourishing and hopeful.

After a day of rest I came back, did a 5.5 hour brick, and after another day of rest I did that 17.5 mile run.
And today I feel like a million bucks.

And I have made a few important decisions:

1. I'm not going to rely solely on my body to bring me the joy I desperately crave. I'm going to deal--.
2. I'm leaving teaching. I'm done.

Let the chips fall.
I'm ready for the consequences.

12 comments:

Rebecca DeWire said...

You are smart to rest when your body tells you to rather than push through. I have learned through triathlon that the mind is crazy powerful. I have come to accept that my mind is basically in charge of my body and for the most part it knows what is best for me. This was hardest to accept while training for my first IM since I wasn't sure what I really needed to accomplish in training to make my goal of finishing achievable. When my mind is telling me that it has had enough in training, I always listen. And on the other hand, I am convinced that when you have a powerful mind/body connection you can use this to push your limits in a race and this mental toughness will come in handy for you at IMLP.

Kim said...

this shit happens and you are NOT alone. we work our bodies and our minds to the brink of no return constantly and sometimes one, or both, will break. sounds like you had a great breakthrough and you are stronger than you really think. xoxo

Kristina said...

You're so right. Sometimes the problem arises not from relying too much on consequentialism but from the absence of a clear right principle. It's not relativism; it's two compelling rights (or wrongs). But as with all courses in life, we get joy and pain from any route we choose to take. Or something like that.

MaineSport said...

The dogmatic one speaking here...think about why you're doing this. Are you tying to qualify for Kona? My guess is, partially taken from an earlier post, probably not. Then your goal is to finish in an upright position, and maybe even enjoy the day. It is very possible to finish one of these without the massive amounts of training you're putting in. In my two, I averaged just 11-12 hours/wk. In my first IM T2, sitting in the tent, I said, "Oh shit. I've never run more than 16 miles before." Ever. And I finished. And even enjoyed the overall experience. You have a much, much larger base than I did, which will carry you. Back away from the edge, Mary. You have plenty of time to take a week OFF. Totally off. It will have zero negative impact, and will likely do you a whole bunch of good.

Judi said...

mary mary mary. you just needed some rest! and you got it. and you got your workouts done. damn girl, you sure are hard on yourself.

yippie for quitting teaching! does that mean you have every day to just train?

Amanda said...

Kim's right...you're not alone. I think we all go through melt-downs during IM training...and even just in living. And you're learning from it. How cool is that?!

btw, i'm training for IMLouisville now. And i'm pretty sure you could hang at the track

Anonymous said...

Yikes, Mary! I hope things play out well for you. :)

Rose

Jennifer Harrison said...

Well, you know what I think since we talked during your meltdown. the body WILL dictate what you can and can not do. the mind is a powerful tool but useless if we are not rested. YOU did the right thing...it happens to all of us. Today...I had a 2 hour ride to do w/ intervals. I headed out the door - the bike would not shift - stuck in the 52x17 (which is NOT easy w/ hills/wind) and the brakes were not working - My legs were dead...I had NOTHING....have not recovered STILL (sucks getting older) from my 30k TT on Sunday...so, I turned around. called it a day - skipped my run and ate and got a massage....You know I always say this, but it is good to hear - WE are not machines....we are real people that hurt, have hormones and have to deal with REAL life stuff every day....so, all is good. That rest was good for you b/c you came back and nailed your workouts! GOOD.

Swimming for ME said...

Hi-- me the sometimes consequentialist and sometimes deontologist talking... I think Steve is right. Take some time to chill. xxooxxoo

Ange said...

I understand. I also agree with the advice to relax. We MUST learn to do this. I am not always good at it either. But, as much as we love this sport and as much as it gives us, it is not our everything. there is a LOT going on in life and we have to take time for all of it. sometimes things are too much and our bodies shut down. I just went through a shut down of my own....no matter how hard I fought, my body would not respond. Time to breath.
You are SO strong. We can't panic from a few bad days.
I'm so glad you rested and feel ok now.

Ange said...

I understand. I also agree with the advice to relax. We MUST learn to do this. I am not always good at it either. But, as much as we love this sport and as much as it gives us, it is not our everything. there is a LOT going on in life and we have to take time for all of it. sometimes things are too much and our bodies shut down. I just went through a shut down of my own....no matter how hard I fought, my body would not respond. Time to breath.
You are SO strong. We can't panic from a few bad days.
I'm so glad you rested and feel ok now.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Very interesting views of the world. I am an unfeeling realist. I think that emotions (especially others) are over-rated and used to manipulate. So I really don't care what people think of me and I really don't care if I hurt people's feelings. I do care if I do something that is unethical, illegal or immoral. Interesting how we view the world.

I am so glad that you are feeling like a million bucks. Keep up the hard work