Friday, April 24, 2009

Mad Mommies: Why Moms Often Kick the xxx out of Non-Moms on the Race Course

First, note that I said OFTEN and not ALWAYS. I know some of you don't have children, and also don't plan on ever having children and you are hard asses worthy of worship.

But.

I have been thinking about this moms-kicking-ass thing for awhile. You'd THINK that after having a baby a woman's athletic prowess would decline. She's not only physically busted up and out of shape after having a baby, but she now has to take care of a wee one. She is no longer the epi-center of her own life. Baby is. So she should suck now, right? Out of the game, finito, done.

But it does not happen this way. Often said mommy gets better after giving birth.

This has been a source of interest among elite women athletes of late. It has been observed that killer runners like Paula Radcliffe have continued to kick ass after bearing bambinos. Some of the best women pro and amateur triathletes are mommies--like say, Heather Gollnick, Bree Wee, Brooke Davison or Rachel Ross. Kara Goucher recently announced her intention of having a baby following her Boston debut in an interview for Runner's World. She appears confident that having a baby will absolutely not have a negative effect on her racing.

Why is this?

I have a theory.

Women who have children improve their athletic performances after giving birth because having a baby(ies) makes one:

1. tougher than fucking nails.
2. appreciate being athletic in a way non-moms will never understand.
3. more disciplined, focused and yet flexible about her training than ever before.
4. rested. You must take about six months off from serious training when you're preggers.

Let's start with number one.
These paragraphs will be very boring to those of you who haven't given birth. I apologize. Feel free to skip ahead to my summation.

Having a baby makes you tougher than nails.
There is no endurance event that tops the endurance necessary to get from giving birth to the end of a baby's third month. I repeat, there is no. endurance. event. that. even. compares. Double this fact if a woman has twins. Case in point--Heather Gollnick has twins. So does Jenny Harrison. Can you think of women tougher than those two? I struggle to...And if you have triplets? I bow down to you. I really do.

Childbirth itself is a major endurance event. It often lasts longer than an Ironman. I realize some women opt to get an epidural, but lest you think for a moment that means they have escaped the endurance event this is giving birth, you are wrong.

I won't get graphic about childbirth and what it's actually like. Suffice to say it is--umm--painful. Even with an epidural. Hell, just getting the freaking epidural is painful, although it doesn't compare to the pain of contractions which are so painful there is not a word to describe them.

About 40% of women actually don't get birth vaginally, of course. The c-section is a special treat. Oh, it sounds pretty good. Your epidural is turned all the way up and you just feel "pressure" as they cut you open to extract the baby--unless for some reason the epidural is blocked, which it was on my left side when giving birth to my second child. Then it feels like someone is slicing into your abdomen, which, of course, someone is.Good-bye gorgeous abs! Baby has ripped them apart while growing inside you and the knife has cut them in half during surgery.

The c-section is major, and I mean MAJOR abdominal surgery. Recovering from it alone takes women weeks--some months. Even just getting out of bed 24 hours after the surgery is an incredible feat--and extremely painful. Your abs are sliced--all the muscle fibers have been cut in two--and so rising from bed, which requires abdominal strength, is like--impossible.

The incision is held together by staples. Your newborn can rest right on those staples as you attempt to nurse in the first few days. It's comfy. As you nurse your uterus contracts, because it is getting smaller, and that feels a bit like the contractions of childbirth. They feel great throbbing against the incision and often have one doubled over in pain. Add to this that if you are having your first child and are not yet shall we say--broken in--, nursing fucking kills. Your nipples are being bitten, sucked, cracked open, bleeding and mutilated with each session. Your breasts fill so full in the first few days that they are hard as rocks and a size triple DD and they hurt like fucking hell. And did I mention that your baby will turn totally yellow (jaundiced) if you are not disciplined enough in your nursing--waking your baby to nurse at least once every 1.5 hours or so around the clock???
This is the reality: IV still in, hungry little guy, daughter wants attention. 28 hours post-op.


Okay. Enough. Although I could go on and on and on.
After the baby is born and you bring the tyke home, you must rest. You need rest. Your body has been through a train wreck.

But you can't rest.
You must go on.
If you don't then your baby will die.

For the next three months you don't sleep--like ever--especially if your baby has colic and cries from 4-10 pm each day (that was my first). You nurse around the clock. You nipples become like little hard rocks, calloused and completely un-sexy. Your breasts are udders. You are a cow. You can't leave the baby for longer than 3 hours because you are the baby's only food source.

Oh, and did I mention that you are supposed to be glowing, and happy and grateful and fucking high on life?
(Most of us actually contemplate driving ourselves into a tree. Most of us cried almost incessantly for three months straight. Most of us end up on anti-depressants.)
And did I mention that you, as you knew yourself, are gone--like forever? Your purpose is now unilateral.

Take care of baby.
period.
______________________________
#2 and #3: Mothers
  • appreciate the privilege of training in a way non-moms will never understand.
  • more disciplined, focused and yet flexible about her training than ever before.

If you were "active" before giving birth then during these three delirious months you begin to fantasize.
Running, biking, swimming.
They have been taken from you.
And you want them back.
You want them bad.
You really haven't done any of them seriously since about three months into your pregnancy--so it's been, like, almost a year.

Formerly active moms are hungry. They want it back and they want it now and they are willing to do anything to get it.

They run on the treadmill for the half hour the baby sleeps. They nurse, race to the pool race home, and nurse again. They take advantage of every free moment (which are very few) to exercise. They become ultra-disciplined about taking this time when they have it. Gone are the days when they don't go running right now because they just don't feel like it right now--maybe later in the day.

Likewise, if the baby needs to nurse or be changed or whatever--moms adjust to the fact that their exercise comes second to baby. always. And that is just the way it is. Having to be this way makes moms appreciate exercise in a way that is somewhat hard to fathom.

#4
rest.

Moms had to rest, as I said, for like a year. I'm convinced that this is partially what allows them to excel after childbirth. Every last little tear has been healed in that time. The body is ripe to be torn apart and built back up again. I really think there's something to this. People who love to train and don't have children never take this kind of extended break, and therefore never heal to the extent that moms do.
__________________

After a woman goes through the act of having a baby she views the world differently.

  • Pain is relative. If you can survive the pain of childbirth and the subsequent three months of sleep deprivation, the constant crying, the loss of self and becoming a cow, you can survive anything.
  • Training is no longer a right; it's a gift. It is to be absolutely treasured.
  • If you have time, you must take it. If you don't, it's your own fault, and you won't get it back. Discipline-- or denied.
It is these views that enable the mother to move to new levels of athletic performance.

28 comments:

Kristina said...

Ok, you know how much I adored you before. But now... we may as well buy a condo together and set up house.
Anyway, add to your list the hypothesis put out by many scientists that childbearing amounts to blood doping in female athletes because of the oxygenation of their blood to carry and deliver the baby.
It's almost worth having another one so I can BQ.

Rebecca DeWire said...

This is seriously the most amazing blog post I have ever read...seriously, EVER!!!! I vividly remember in the hospital being pissed after my c-section that the blood I lost during surgery will affect the triathlon that I wanted to do in 13 weeks. That sounds so warped right now, but I seriously thought that.

Lee Ryan said...

Outstanding post!

Michelle Simmons said...

Just found your blog... was attracted to it by the title of this post... LOVE IT! Got chills reading it.
I'm totally with you on the ultra-disciplined thing. There is no 'maybe I'll run later' thing going on in my life anymore. I train every morning first thing, and since that's my time, I train HARD. And 6 months after giving birth to my daughter, I'm stronger than ever. It's awesome!!!

Judi said...

you just made me even more sure of why i DON'T want a baby. thanks mary! MUAH!

p.s. what kind of endurance you think the octo mom has?

Patricio said...

I've been browsing around reading some fellow triatheletes/bloggers stuff and found yours... glad I did. Great stuff!! My wife is gonna love your last post as well! :)
PC

mjcaron said...

Thanks for sharing.. I, the childless one, have ALWAYS bowed down to you moms. I also believe that running after and lifting small children makes women very strong physically. I have seen some very toned arms on moms that do and do not exercise.

Kim said...

mommy mary, you are amazing. (as are the rest of you mommies!) you look so cute and super young in the hospital photo!

Ange said...

You've outdone yourself on this one Mary. I'm in tears....laughing tears....because I can relate to this so intensely. good one.

Jennifer Harrison said...

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! THIS IS SOO friggin true.....And, having TWINS - and on bedrest for 8 weeks doing NOTHING - I was SUPER hungry to come back....EAGER!!! And, having twins vaginally - and having the 1st baby vaginally & then telling me that if I don't get baby #2 out they will c-section me - SO BOTH within 14 minutes? NOPE!! Got #2 out so damn fast....my ABS will never come back - they separated so badly carrying the twins....AH, the memories. I swear, the MOMS are SUPER SUPER TOUGH that I coach... I LOVE the mom triathletes!!!

And the days where I could tackle the world if I got 4 hours of straight sleep? REMEMBER that? 1-2 hours I was a wreck...4 hours? I could do an IM. Man, this is great birth control.

GREAT GREAT post, Mary!!!

Swimming for ME said...

Like I have said so many times before (dogmatic me), please BECOME A WRITER!!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Oh my god I was having nightmares of my first 5 months of sleep deprivation with the triplets!!! They did not make it past 3/4 hours (since preemie) until almost 6 months...Yes, you become tough as nails, and yes I started working out regularly at 6 months, 8 months of bedrest - I was going insane - in fact I did go crazy! These workouts were usually on a few hours sleep and HR sky high since so tired. I also rear-ended my car into someone else's at approximately 10 months cause we know the sleep deprivation continued for the next 3 years!!

Bob Almighty said...

Mary, You make me realize how lucky I am to be a guy.. :)

The thing is I hear about all these celeberty moms getting c-sections....and after this description I wonder why any woman would get one done unless absolutely necessary.
Although hats off to you and any other iron mothers...after child birth 17 hours of exercise ain't shit.

Heather Gollnick said...

Ok I dont comment on blogs a lot but have to tell you that this one ROCKS!!!!!!!
I think we are not only tough for all the reason you listed but remain that way for years as we have to balance our lives. So hear it is to all the MOMS out there.
Heather

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Mary, you are so right. As a man and childless I do bow to you kick ass women out there. Now I know how you do it.

But remember one thing--You had that competitive drive before hand and you were ready get back out there. You take what you learned from being a mom and applied to your training. Keep at it and go out there and inspire other women (and some men too)

MaineSport said...

I didn't think there was much I could comment on...being a guy and all. But to see a PRO leave a comment, now that's impressive! Forget all the mommy stuff, you're a blogging ALL STAR!

Velma said...

Thanks so much for this post - it is perfection!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

found your post through Velma, incredible.

CoachWhittaker said...

You're an inspiration! I completed my 1st sprint-triathlon right before my son's second birthday. I'd never really done anything that athletic before. I LOVED it so much I'm excited for the next one. I know that meeting the challenges of being a working mother is what made me think I could finish in the first place.

Sara Cox Landolt said...

Velma also suggested I check this post out.
Excellente! I'm a mom of 3 boys, this was a great read. Thanks!

Jenna said...

WOW!! This is a great post! I am a now-single mother of two and I sure got creative with my IMC training because I was damn hungry!! If that meant running around a .5km block over and over and over with a walkie talkie jammed in my job bra and another one at my son's bed at 5 am that is just what had to be done. YOU NAILED IT!!!

Velma said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Please DO NOT clean up the language - this is what makes it real.

I am a professor, so some of my students read my blog. I try to give them the heads up, but I would be sad if you took out the real language.

Happy training.

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

As I sit here and wonder if I ever want a child, I am not a little scared :( BUT...you are right, you are so much stronger as a mom! What a great example you are for your kids. I'll let you know when I think about a baby (in the future) and I'll be sure to have you convince me that I am ready :)
Keep up the great work...and to all the moms out there!

jessithompson said...

Just found your blog through RR's blog. I fucking love this post. Period. I'm going to share it with all the bad ass moms I know.

I'm picturing myself right now running up and down the street in front of our house with my baby monitor jammed into my fuel belt trying to just get a friggin' 20 minute run in. Not pretty, but it's part of what makes me tough.

The enormity of what we all do on a daily basis is phenomenal. On paper, many would look and tell you it's impossible. But we do it, everyday, and like you said, it gives us shit-kicking super powers.

Michelle said...

Love this Mary!!!!! I often use the still very vivid memory of my first child's birth - a totally unmedicated, 23 hour, back-labor ordeal - to pull me through tough training sessions. When I remember how hard that day/night was, whatever I'm doing training-wise TOTALLY pales in comparison!!! And you had me laughing out loud at the nursing memories. I can't count the number of times the poor bambinos had a nice, sweaty boob popped out of a nice, sweaty running bra as I ran in the house after a run to a hungry kid. LOL!!!! Ah, memories.

The Boys said...

So...I just gave birth to my second child 3 1/2 weeks ago after being on 12 weeks of bedrest and battling gestational diabetes. I went from training 20 hours a week and completing an IM 70.3, to the next weekend getting pregnant and not training again. I thought I would lose my frigging mind. Now, I crave the minute my husband gets home so I can go for a run. I would LOVE to get on my poor abused and forgotten bike, but after delivering vaginally, including several stiches, I look at my lovely carbon fiber seat and cry. My poor parts cringe at the thought of that seat nose jammed in there. So, for now I am happy to run (more like trod) and leave "body-by-baby" behind! Hope to see you all out there. Ironman CDA 2010 here I come!

Trisaratops said...

So let me ask you this...

Did you seriously have a camera set up in my house for the year I was pregnant through the first three months of J's arrival?

BECAUSE THIS IS SO FREAKING TRUE IT'S CREEPY.

Love it!

StephanieC said...

Keith from Keith's Odyssey directed me to this post... I was just bitching about the realities of pregnancy...

I am terrified of what you are talking about. I don't WANT to be a cow, but I WANT to be a good mom!

And though I am not a triathlete or a runner, I cannot.fucking.wait to get my body back. At least to a place where I can safely push myself in terms of exercise and not risk anything but my pride.

Thanks for an honest article like this.