Friday, April 3, 2009

Down The Rabbit Hole

Sometimes, that's the best place to go. Sometimes it's the only place to go.

April 1st marked the beginning of the actual march toward Ironman Lake Placid. Sure, I was training hard before April 1st, sure I was putting in hours and pushing my limits. But April 1st, at least in my mind, is the actual beginning. At the end of this week I will have put in 16.5 hours of training. Next week I will put in 18. I have never put in 18 hours before. I think I'm prepared for it, though, and even if I'm not, it's still going to happen.

The idea that it is going to happen is a new mental strategy for me. Sometimes, when Jen gives me a really long, laborious or difficult workout, she writes at the bottom of her comments. "I know it's long and hard. Just get it done."

Just get it done. The only way to get to the other side is just to move through it, feel the pain, and get it done. Just keep moving. Just start the next set. Just ride--even if you're really tired and you still have three hours of riding to go. The chances that something catastrophic will happen, like you will drown or fall off your bike, is unlikely. Just keep up the effort for the next 5 minutes. Then the next 5. Then the next.

In my mind this thinking is like going down a rabbit hole. In the rabbit hole there are no distractions. You must narrow your vision, and just look ahead and down the tunnel. You must keep moving until you get to the end, where you can curl in a ball and take a rabbit rest.

In both my training and in life right now I am down the rabbit hole. There is only one direction right now. As far as I can tell, there is only one tunnel. I have been stopped inside this tunnel, worried, fearful, and definitely confused. It's time to move forward. It's time to remember that the only way to get to the end of this workout is to just do it.

It's going to take me awhile, but I will see you at the end of the rabbit hole. Please have some snuggly blankets ready, because by the time I get there, I'm going to need a rest.

8 comments:

Kim said...

i'm going to read this post when i officially begin IM Coz training - "just get it done" - i thought i would never hear those words!

these next few months will be tough, but i have no doubt you will push through them, cause youre like superwoman. IMLP will be a breeze compared to some of these JH workouts ;)

Kristina said...

Down the rabbit hole. Far better than through the looking glass, where not much more than crazy nonsense gets done.

maria conley said...

Mary, dedication, commitment and hard work will take you though the tunnel but in the end you will be a champion. And you will make me proud. Love ya.

Rebecca DeWire said...

That training volume is very, very impressive. My body can't handle that much (yet!) and I end up suffering all symptoms like insomnia, extreme irritability (my husband loves this one) and in general a dislike for triathlon. I have learned through trial and error that taking a few days off when I need it totally refreshes me. Also, the training is so much harder than the actual ironman. It is so worth it, though, and you are going to rock IMLP because of your dedication and commitment.

Swimming for ME said...

cozy blankets on a beach maybe? God you amaze me. I'll cheer you on all the way. I promise.

MaineSport said...

Although I've never been down a rabbit hole....It helps me to think of just getting to the next turn out on the road. To think of a ride or run in its entirety can be overwhelming. Remember to keep things in balance....

Rainmaker said...

"Just keep up the effort for the next 5 minutes. Then the next 5. Then the next"

That's exactly how I do it. If I look too far ahead in any length of race - things start to break down. Just one minute at a time.

Ange said...

day by day by day. that's my new thing. The big picture is too much sometimes. You WILL get there.