Monday, March 28, 2011

Okay Okay

I am off my biological imperative kick. For now.

Let's start with Barbie:
The poor lamb has seen better days. I finally found her head:
When I begin to feel glum, like I am just running on the hamster wheel and going nowhere in particular except, eventually, off the wheel and into the ground, I can think of Barbie--mutilated by a 20 pound dog. Things could be so much worse than endless running.

And I do love running. Right?

The big news: on Saturday I RODE OUTSIDE. This was a big feat. It was 35 degrees, windy and cold on Saturday. The night before I had carefully cleaned and readied Mrs. Z for the outside, though, and I would be DAMNED if I didn't go through with my outside adventure. I dressed warmly, and you know? It was fine!  I am so over it!

I remember with running it was this way. I thought, can I run in 10 degree weather? Will my lungs splinter into icicles in my chest if I try? And then I did run in 10 degree weather. And it was fine! Pleasant even! So although I will not be riding during snowstorms, I will now be riding through the winter when I can. If 35, cold and windy is just fine, then I'm sure 25, cold and windy can't be that much worse. There is a man who lives in my neighborhood who rides his bike to work year round. In the dead of winter I watch him ride off at 7 a.m., 10 degrees out and think, He is NUTS. But you know? I think maybe he is onto something.
 

Yesterday I had my final very long run before Boston. It trashed me more than other runs have. I think it could be the close proximity of the brick the day before, or maybe that I hadn't gotten enough sleep the previous nights leading up to it. I was able to run part of it with a few of my friends, and that DEFINITELY made it easier. But I was tired from the start. It was a tough one mentally to get through.


I need a few good new songs for my IPod. Let me know if you have suggestions.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck at Boston!

Ange said...

I wish I could get 'over it' with the cold and the bike. how do you keep your feet warm???? that is my issue. great job getting out there!!!

Linda said...

Download Girl Talk - http://illegal-art.net/allday/ - it's free! And really fun remixes.

Running and living said...

My husband rides his bike to work through the winter. He might have missed 2-3 days this winter. He also bikes to the store and to errands in the winter. You are right, if we can run in freezing temps, we should be able to bike as well. It may take a little getting used to. I rode on Sunday and the wind almost blew me over (I am still getting used to my tri bike). You will rock Boston, I am sure of that!
Music - I listen to trash music when I run hard: FloRiDa, Tayo Cruz, Eminem, Ce Lo Green...

donna furse said...

way to go, I'm glad you got back safe and sound. Keep up the good work.

ShutUpandRun said...

Club Can't Handle Me
Firework
Thunderstruck

See you in Boston!!

Trichick68 said...

I can't face the bike yet, good for you.
Tracks I love to run to
Carpe Noctum-Tiesto
Carry me away-Chris Lake
Don't give up-Chicane
Believer- Freemasons
Bring it back-Moloko
Finally-CeCe Penniston


-
Finally -Kaskade

mjcaron said...

Her head looks too big for that tiny body.

I'm riding outside on Wednesday DAMN IT!

John said...

Disturbed - Indestructible
Rise Against - Audience of One
Clash - Radio Clash
Avenged Sevenfold - Welcome to the Family
Social Distortion - Machine Gun Blues
Eminem - Lose Yourself
Orgy - Blue Monday
Slipknot - Wait and Bleed
Five Finger Death Punch - Hard to See
Gogol Bordello - Imigradiana
Circle Jerks - Wild in the Streets

kT said...

I am so with Running and Living on the trash music for the trainer. But one song I downloaded recently that won't embarrass me if my friends see it: Wax and Wire, by Loch Lomond. I found it on a Danny McCaskill trials biking YouTube video. I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.

Regina said...

See, riding outside isn't that bad when it's cold, although I will draw the line at 25 degrees with wind chill of 13. I think every barbie I owned as a child had chewed off feet, why not Ken? He was readily available as a chew toy.

The only song that comes to mind that gets my blood flowing: Destroy Everything You Touch-Ladytron

Pam said...

MUSIC!!!
Hello Good Morning - Diddy
Teenage Dream - Katy Perry (should I be embarrassed??)
I know you want me - Calle Ocho
100% Pure Love- Crystal Waters
Right Round- FloRida
Yeah! - Usher
I like to Move it- The Hit Crew
Supernatural Superserious - REM

Good luck and enjoy your taper!

Judi said...

mary, mary mary. yes, people commute all winter long. its called "knobby tires" and they can be your BFF. so happy you got out to ride!

Doreen said...

You crack me up! And good LUCK!

Doreen said...

You crack me up! And good LUCK!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Ahhh, your barbie picture makes me laugh so hard! So great to find your blog. Can't wait to read more. Thank you Ana Maria for mentioning you! Good luck you! Wish I was there this year!