Monday, September 1, 2008

I'm Back

Well, sort of.
I'm not 100% back, but I'm getting there! The week after Timberman I did practically nothing. This week, though, I got in some great workouts, and though most were quite short, I think they were quality.

When I feel burnt out I've realized that the first thing to go is the bike. I want to like biking. Actually, I guess I do like biking, and that's the problem. I don't LOVE biking. I don't miss biking. I don't feel compelled to bike unless the plan says BIKE.

This is not true of swimming, and it's definitely not true of running. I love swimming--especially doing short intervals in the pool. I love fun bathing suits, the fact that pool workouts usually don't last more than an hour, the fact that I am a pretty good swimmer and I pretty much know what I am doing.

I feel less competent as a runner than a swimmer, but running is still number one in my heart. I feel completely out of sorts when I can't or don't run. I am working on being a triathlete, but I know I have the heart of a runner.

This is not to say that I love running when I am actually doing it. Often I want to stop when I am running-- often I feel pain, often I look at my watch in hopes the run will soon be over. But the feeling running leaves me with is fantastic. Also, I love the ease of getting ready for running. It's so simple! You can do it anywhere and you only need a good pair of running shoes, shorts, and a running bra to do it. Running is simple, pure and raw. It is hard. It hurts even when you take it easy.

Biking is so much more labor intensive. You really have to plan for the bike. You cover a lot of ground on the bike, so you must plan routes. Before you go out you need to have a good pair of biking shorts, a good helmet, your biking shoes, a bento box with gu or food, water bottles mixed with the right drink, a clean aero bottle in which to put said drink, you need to pump your tires and make sure you have an extra tube, co2 cartridge, lever thing to take your tire off, you cell phone, directions, extra cash, and ID.

Agh! PITA! Nothing is simple in biking. And then there's always the chance that when you're out there the route you've chosen won't be riding worthy, or that you'll flat and spend 20 minutes trying in vain to change your tire.

Most importantly, though, I'm just not that interested in biking. I read book after book on running--but I have yet to finish a book on bike training. I love to compete in road races, but I'm not really interested in racing my bike in a time trial or something. I'm obsessed with the fact that my run split was so stinky at Timberman, yet I actually placed MUCH lower on the bike, and I'm not bothered at all at that!

Anyway. Someday I may learn to love the bike. Or, if I don't, I may return to just being a runner who swims to cross train. We shall see.
--------------------------------------
Today is Labor Day--the official last day of summer, and the last day of my living in Maine. The car is packed, and after a last few hours of beach in the afternoon, we are off to Boston and back to the one room living.
I haven't even left yet and I'm already mourning. It has been a great summer. I have missed the hub, and I have been living out of bags for two months, but it has still been awesome. I love Maine. Someday, someday, I will move back here with the hub. and the kids. I hope. I really feel like it's where we belong. (Or, I should say, it's where I belong, and I want to drag everyone along with me!!)

Goodbye summer!
Goodbye Maine.

8 comments:

Swimming for ME said...

I am going to miss you SOOO much! It has been such an amazing summer with so many good memories and fun races. (I think I hear Journey music in the background)... but seriously, it has been so wonderful. Good luck this week. Love, me

Nitsirk said...

Sorry you have to go back to Beantown. I do hope you will be able to make the move someday. It is the best thing I have ever done!

I also totally agree with you on the bike- much more hassle than running or swimming. Could explain why I have ridden 3 times this summer :)

Speed Racer said...

I don't know if that paragraph about running makes my heart sink or makes me feel better. So what you're saying is that for people who love running and who are good at running, running is just as sucky and painful and awful and horrible and monotonous and torturous as it is for me?! I don't know what to make of this. I DO know that the statement that you don't feel like a good runner is untrue, ridiculous, and wrong.

Biking is EASY! You get built-in breaks, you can soft-pedal when you're tired, you don't have to work on the downhills, and you get to SWOOP!

Speaking of matters of taste, I'm beginning to see why people would like Maine. It's a shame about October through April though. Seems like you've got the formula right summering up there and coming back down to the tropics of Massachusetts for the winters. Welcome back, we're glad to have you. We've missed you.

Judi said...

I love your posts Mary.

And I LOVE biking!

little ol me said...

Ohmygod. I loved this post. I can totally relate. I WANT to do triathlon and I've taken up swimming and really like it. I've always been a runner and that's where my heart belongs, but talk about biking... it's so much work. So much preparation. Give me running any day where I can just put on my shoes, grab a watch and go... Biking is just too much work :) Well said!

Anonymous said...

I like this post a lot. I'm not that fast of a runner, but like you, I read so many books about running!! I can't get enough info about it. It's my favorite, too :)

triguyjt said...

that is such a cool picture...

I amwith you on the biking..alot goes into it..and alot can go wrong...

as for running..nothing beats the so called runners high..thats euphoric feeling.... nothing......
well almost nothing...

I used to read all those books on running too......

AtlantaMom said...

Glad to see all is well with you. I've been thinking about you and wondering...I've taken a bit of a blogging break, but I"m back now.

I love the new profile picture of you. Your arms are the bomb.

You are still my hero. :-)