Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesdays. My Day Off

You may recall that last week I pondered what to do with my new, special free time on Tuesdays, which I now have off from work. Six hours all for me....kids in school, no work...

What was I thinking? I knew then and know now what I will be doing every Tuesday from now until Clearwater, and from Clearwater until Lake Placid 2009.

The LONG BRICK.

you know. The one that takes all day.

Today's workout: Four hours on the bike. Forty minute run. Time leftover after getting ready, getting going, going, going, going, recovering with chocolate milk, showering, and preparing for tomorrow's workouts, which must be planned for right now because I DO work tomorrow:

zero.

Not even a little laundry time, my friends. What have I done?

In other news, on my long ride today I saw a friend riding in the other direction. I haven't see said friend in a few months. He turned around, caught me, and we got caught up for a few. He introduced me to his friend, Richie. Richie looked familiar. How did I know him?

As they rode away it came to me.
Richie Cunningham. I should have figured it out when he said he was also training for Clearwater. Duh.
I wanted to come home and email all my friends about how I had just chatted with a superstar triathlete.
But then I remembered that no one, except for possibly you out there, would care!
haha!

11 comments:

iron-boyer said...

oh I love those long rides...hope it doesn't get too cold where you live. Good luck for your Clearwater prep.

Swimming for ME said...

sorry I am definitely clueless about Richie, but obviously you are making it to the upper echelons (did I spell that right?). Miss you....

mjcaron said...

LOL... I have had simillar feelings, that no one really cares this week. hahahaah... At least I know Kathy cares! It's lonely at the top.. No doubt about it. NOT that I'M anywhere near there. After all, I still have some friends left. hehehehehe..You are getting there though. Near the top I mean. Andy cares!!! I care!!!! heheheeheh. BTW I am open for long rides if you need someone to tag along on Tuesdays. Let me know if you want company. Take care!

Kim said...

wow, that is a freaking long brick for a weekday!!! holy crap! nice work mary!

Anniversary Moments said...

my first thought when reading this:

"richie cunningham - the guy from happy days? he's training for a triathlon - first j.lo and now richie cunningham - what is this sport coming to?"

at least you now have something to do on Tuesdays ;) you'll re-read that old post one day with a big laugh amidst the piles of laundry!

Judi said...

I don't even know any of the big names in triathlon. Does that make me a poser?

Ange said...

That's Exactly how my day off today was!!! Long brick. I didn't have Any time left over either. not a single thing accomplished. But hey, this is better than on SAturday!!!
Miss you!!
I've had computer troubles all week. Will write soon.

Speed Racer said...

Spending your one day off from work and family commitments doing a long brick for 10 months straight (six of which will be on a trainer)? Wow, that sounds like a GREAT way to get burnt out!

You didn't make fun of Richie Cunningham for rolling up a windshield, did you? Or sing the Happy Days theme song? Because that's what I would have done, and then I would have been very, very, very embarrassed.

maria conley said...

Wow Mary, I can not believe it four hours riding the bike. How could you not recognized Richie Cunningham. Was Fonzie riding too.

That Runner Chick said...

don't you just love RC's accent?!

GetBackJoJo said...

Courtney, you're my only tri friend who knows who he is! We are clearly the only geeks following the sport super closely... :)