Friday, September 19, 2008

"I'm feelin' good from my head to my shoes



"Know where I'm goin' and I know what to do
I tidied up my point of view
I got a new attitude!"

Forgive me for quoting Patti LaBelle.
It had to be done. I hope I didn't lose any readers...

So. I have been doing some thinking.
It started with the word suffer, a word with which I have few dealings with in my life, continued into my race this weekend and conversations with Claire, continued further still when reading Bree Wee's blogand ended with a quick conversation with Jen via email.

I realize new attitudes aren't created overnight, so I will qualify this by saying that I don't actually have a bonafide new attitude. Let's say, though, that I think I get something I didn't get before. It's not even really a matter of some earth shattering new way of viewing things. It actually is, as my dear friend Patti says, a tidying up of a point of view.

I love running. and triathlon. and I love racing.
But that's not enough.

My expectations of what triathlon will provide me expanded this year. I decided to GET SERIOUS, man. No fucking around. And with that I expected nothing short of miracles. Isn't that what it takes? Extreme dedication? Getting the workouts done?

Yes. But that's not all it takes. It takes a willingness to think and be a certain way. There is little--actually there is NO--room for self deprecation for the sake of humor, or the sake of anything, really. There is no room to let yourself believe you deserve a break. There is no room to lament how tired you are and how grumpy you feel that you get up every damn morning when the people around you sleep in like old dogs. There is no room to feel sorry for yourself. There is no room to admit that you're not actually sure you LIKE what you're doing.

Ange talked awhile back about silencing her lazy demon when she races. I remember thinking that her lazy demon was likely a weakling and that my lazy demon could take her lazy demon down so fast it wouldn't even be funny. But maybe that's not true. Maybe she just makes her mind so uninviting to the lazy demon that she can control his appearance, in a race, or any time. And I can't. Or I haven't.

I have been indulging my thoughts of tiredness, of disappointment, of fear, of anger, of lack of motivation, of jealousy. I write about them. I think about them. I analyze them. I let them hang around.

This is not want superior athletes do. Superior athletes shut down these thoughts. They do not indulge. They don't don't lament losing a Tuesday to a LONG BRICK, because the idea of losing or lamenting anything having to do with the sport is SHUNNED. Done. Not invited. The thought is replaced by thoughts like, I CAN train, I'm psyched to train, I'm ready to train. I AM ALL ABOUT THE LONG BRICK. GRRRRRRRRRR.

It's cognitive restructuring. Right, Alina?

And I need to start doing it.

It is quite possible that the aspect of my personality that has indulged these thoughts has prevented me, thus far, from maximizing my potential. Not just in triathlon.
In life.
Maybe that's dramatic, but I think I'm onto something here.

8 comments:

Jerome Harrison said...

DING DING DING....Bingo, Mary. Exactly what I was trying to explain to you....YOU just broke thru another level...yes, yes! :)
This post made my day.
Jen H.

Ange said...

made my day too. thank you. I need it right now too.....
late september...words in a month or so....let's kick some butt girl.
YOu're going to ROCK THE WORLD this year. I can't wait to see it. :o)

Anniversary Moments said...

Yes, you are onto something! This is a great post Mary! But more importantly great that you have figured this out for yourself!! You've worked so hard this season to get to Worlds -- give it everything you have....there will be plenty of time to rest in December.

Speed Racer said...

I'm going to have to come back and read this one again after digesting a bit, but... I think I disagree... maybe. First off, let me recognize that you are a superior athlete to me, that we have different aims in the sport, and that you are far wiser than I am in the ways of the world so you may disregard my opinion, or even delete it if you so desire. And of course I don't want to disagree with your coach.

That being said, would this new approach take some of the enjoyment out of the sport for you? Am I wrong in thinking that you're teetering on the edge of burnout, and that if you don't let yourself recognize your limitations and lighten up on yourself (at least for a couple of weeks when you get into the offseason), that you might get to that burnout point of no return?

Isn't the attitude of champions that REALLY makes them champions that they enjoy what they're doing so thoroughly? Isn't that kind of the suffering thing we were talking about: that when you enjoy what you're doing, the suffering is fun? And that enjoying what you're doing makes you willing to suffer more than others, which gives you the confidence to know you can win?

And maybe I'm wrong. But if there's no room for self-deprecation for the sake of humor, doesn't that make you arrogant and snotty? Just some things to think about.

jbmmommy said...

My laziness devil usually carpools with the junk food devil. And I invite them in for apple pie! If this is the direction you need for yourself, then I hope that things go well. I'm not sure I would find happiness in taking triathlon that seriously. Then again, if I were as fast as you, it might be just what I needed.

Kim said...

people like tim, cait and jesse are all CRAZY PEOPLE! certifiably insane!!! hehehee! :) i admire your physical and emotional strength to "become serious" about the sport. but dont forget we are here to fully 100% support you, with any sort of emotions, feelings or non-serious moments :) xoxo

Swimming for ME said...

Cognitive restructring and, well, positive thinking too.

Just remember you want to get rid of the Irrational thoughts (lazy demon; there might be sharks) not the rational ones (I'm gonna crack my head open going 35 mps down this wet gigantic hill).

You can make a new motto: I'm tough enough, I'm fast enough and doggonit people think I'm awesome (and funny, and a good writer).

And remember to treat yourself to a massage on some of those brick days.

Miss you! GO MARY!
(now I've got Patti LaBelle in my head!)

Judi said...

Mary -

What Claire said.

Just sayin'.

xxoo-

judi