Wednesday, September 24, 2008

This Sport is SO Expensive and other thoughts

I took Black Beauty, my bike, into the shop after my LONG BRICK on Tuesday. She needed some help. I knew my tires were spent. I've been riding on them since February and averaging over 100 miles a week on the bike. I also knew that I needed a basic tune-up. She's been skipping gears all over the place lately. So I took her in. Quick check up. No problem.

Right. I am new to biking, and I have not yet adjusted to the fact that you must treat your bike like you do your car. You know what I'm saying; if you don't take care of your car--get the oil changed, get it tuned up according to the manufacturer's schedule, do not let it go when you know something's wrong it--you shorten its life and you end up creating expensive problems that could've been avoided had you taken preventive measures. Kind of like health. Kind of like life. Kind of like EVERYTHING.

Well. I guess I have been a bit remiss in taking care of my little Felt. First, I've not changed the chain since I got her. I guess you're supposed to change your chain every 1500 miles or so. That would've been in, hmmmm, MAY. Because I didn't change my chain, my chain damaged my cassette, so that's spent too. And the tires. Need new tires.

All that doesn't include the basic tune-up that I also need.

Damn!
I have been lobbying to get carbon wheels, and the chunk of change needed to spiff up the old/new bike is not going to help my cause.

In other news I think I am losing my short term memory. really.
more on this in my next post.

10 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Yeah, I'm horrible with maintenance. Now that tri season has winded down, I need to really give my bike some mx love. :(

Speed Racer said...

My bike has nearly 3K on it and my chain's only at about 75%. What bike shop do you go to?! I don't really know how these things work, but my old bike has been skipping gears since it was born and I STILL have the original cassette. Just like with a doctor, you may want to get a second opinion. Your bike shop is already going to own 3/4 of your paycheck for as long as your life involves a bike, you might as well not give them any extra money if you can help it.

Also, sometimes I bring the guys at my bike shop muffins and they give me free stuff.

GetBackJoJo said...

That is smart. Muffins. I will remember that. I think part of why my chain/cassette went so fast is because apparently I ride too frequently in the easiest of the gears in the big ring.

Kim said...

yikes, i really had no idea about all that stuff! yellow lightning had a tune up before IMLP but i wasnt told to change anything, so hopefully she is still okay! those muffins should fit into the core diet right?!

Speed Racer said...

Riding too much with a crossed chain? So riding too slow actually killed your bike? Interesting...

(Not to be annoying, but you know you're not supposed to do that, right? Ride on your easiest gear in the big ring, or your hardest gear in the little ring? Oh you DID know that? Right, that's what I thought. Let's point our fingers and snicker at all the losers who DIDN'T know that and had to have someone tell them. *snicker, snicker, snort*)

((I had to have someone tell me))

Ange said...

It's scary expensive. I had my chain replaced before T'man...had no idea. You need to bring Black up here for check ups--these guys will take gooooooood care of you! :o) Just bring her in when you visit. Join our club too and get a discount on all that!
GOOD LUCK SUNDAY!! I'll miss being there with you guys.

Ange said...

oh...and kick some DW a#&$*#!! Ok! Win this baby Mar...

Judi said...

Dominic would have hooked you up Mary! In our bike shop in the basement!

And again, what Claire said. No riding in the easiest of gears in the big ring, and vice versa.

We always clean the bikes after a ride and D always cleans my chain. It get so dirty.

It's an investment you gotta take care of.

And maybe your hubby will let you get Zero's. Zero's lite are cheaper wheels that are just as light as carbon.

Skipping gears is a sign of a bent derailier or hanger, FYI.

pwheeler said...

No way do you need a chain and Cassette. With you weight you can probably get 5k out it!! find a new shop ASAP!!!!

triguyjt said...

i plead guilty on the maintenance thing....aside from having the shop spiff her up and get everything ready each spring...thats all I do...but again, I think I do probably 1-third the miles most you guys do...so....there you have it