Monday, December 21, 2009

Blizzard Running

We had our first blizzard on Sunday morning. I was in Maine at my parents' home on the coast. We came up to celebrate an early Christmas with my parents and my four sibs, and my sibs' families.

It wasn't gigantic as blizzards go. We had only a little under a foot of snow dumped on us. But it was still a blizzard, with raging winds, whipping snow and negative digit temps with the wind chill.

I had a 9 mile run on my schedule.
I don't need to explain to most of you why I felt the need to do it despite the raging snowstorm. 

2009 is drawing to a close.
For me, this is a good  thing. I've been in a blizzard for nearly all of 2009.
 I created the blizzard, of course. I looked 40 straight in the eye and created a storm so large in scale that it nearly took out those closest to me. Actually, it nearly took me out, too.

Yesterday as I ran into the wind the snow blinded me and burnt my face.  I couldn't take the pain, so I turned around and ran loops in a sheltered neighborhood cove. At mile 7, though, I had to face the wind and get back to the house. There was no other way to get there but directly through the storm. I left my little cove and was immediately blasted by a wind much stronger than the one I had started in. Oops. Guess the storm had gain some strength in the hour I chose to stay somewhat sheltered. This was going to hurt.


My folks live on the ocean, and those of you who grew up by the sea know that the closer you get to it, the angrier the wind gets. As I got closer and closer to the house, my cheeks hurt so much from the slap of the snow that I kept having to turn around to gain composure.  With about 1/4 mile to go, I began to cry. Why was I doing this to myself? Why hadn't I realized that if I got myself out there, into the storm, it would be nearly impossible to find the strength to get back again? I wanted to give up, but you can't give up when the wind and snow are seriously threatening to build a grave for you.

I finally made it up the long driveway. The snow was whipping across the ground and up into little cyclones that burst and sprayed. The ocean was pissed--steely gray and crashing on the rocks. I stumbled to the door, but it was locked. I rang the doorbell desperately, over and over again, and banged on the door, not caring how childish my impatience might appear to be. Jordan came to the door and struggled with the lock. I continued to bang and whimpered please,  please! Then Odessa, my brother Jordan's wife, came to the door and got it open, and I pushed my way rudely inside.

In retrospect, the run doesn't seem so bad. I handled it. I ended up fine. Despite the white patches on my cheeks, I didn't actually have frostbite.

And more importantly, after a year of battling that kind of wind and snow, I'm okay with turning 40. And the life I turned upside down is damaged, but still intact--somehow. Miraculously.
FYI, no matter how big a tantrum you throw, you can't get youth back. I've had my first kiss, covered my gorgeous sixteen-year old body in shame, applied to college and left my home. I've traveled with my best friend across the country, run my first 5K, my first marathon, my first IM. My puppies have lived their lives from beginning to end in front of me. I've lost one to cancer and will soon lose another to old age. I've found the man I am spending my life with, I've gotten pregnant on purpose and by accident, I have had my children, and I'm watching them grow. I've gotten my degrees. I've worked hard and I've become jaded and blown off work. I have a home with more than one bathroom and pictures on my walls of the life I've lived.
 
I did those things and I can't do those things again. Not really. Trying to doesn't work. As I said, the storm I created trying to get back youth that isn't mine to have simply doesn't work. I regret that a lot of my youth was wasted on my youth.

After running all  year in a blizzard, after crying and flipping the bird to the snow and wind, I think I get it.
Just because I didn't appreciate it, doesn't mean I can get it back to do again. And maybe, amazingly enough, I don't even want to. My first kiss wasn't that great anyway. All tongue and slop on a Tuesday night with Jeopardy on in the background.

I plan to relish my middle-age. I will not be wasting it.

23 comments:

Bob Almighty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob Almighty said...

Awesome post.

Kristina said...

I admire you. I still want it back.

Michelle Simmons said...

I love your posts. :)

And yes, familiar with the wind along the coast... ours is not bitter cold, but it can be wickedly strong.

Jessica said...

I have been reading your post for a little over a month now and I haven't commented. I think I could really feel what you were struggling with in your posts and this one made me so happy to read. You sound so centered--and it comes across now. Great post!

Kim said...

i cannot believe you ran in that shit. okay i can, because i would have done it too, but i didnt, and you did, and youre just plain awesome. almost 40 and you have done so much! xoxo happy holidays mary.

Ange said...

:0) here's to 2010!!
who was that first kiss? I can't remember.... see you tonight. will be fun.
you can make it through any storm, clearly.
My HS yearbook quote was, "you must make it through the storm to swim in clear water" or something like that...

Running and living said...

Another great Mary post. Can you blog more often? And write a book about turning 40? Because, really, we can all relate. At least I can relate. Sometimes I wish that someone handed me a Nora Ephron book in my 20s, though probably I would have discarded it without flipping a page. So much wasted time...so many things I would do differently. At the same time, I have no regrets and I can truly say that my 30s have been the happiest years ever. Glad you seem to have figured it out, I still have ways to go!
Oh, and I fully understand what you went through during the run!

Swimming for ME said...

You got that right sista... here's to 2010 and making it through the eye of the storm!
(it's really the 2nd and 3rd and 4th kisses we covet)

Velma said...

You rock! When do we get to sing a virtual happy birthday?

I don't want it back either, but I would go back and start running and tri-ing earlier.

Stay warm over the holidays.

Mrs. Topchik said...

this blog just made me cry...emotional..yes! Being a big part of your childhood I so long for those days back! You are strong and beautiful and dedicated!
See you tonight...hopefully you are still at your parents!
XOXOX

Bob Turner said...

Now I know why I liked you before I even met you. I enjoy your blog. Keep it up. Happy Holidays!

Casey said...

I love this post.
You are a tough cookie, my dear.

Unknown said...

I had a sucky run yesterday too..wind, PMS, painful IT band issue and ended up crying for about five minutes while walking home...waiting for my husband to pick me up...and deciding to quit running altogether..and suddenly, I too decided all of this is too good to let go. Middle-age is the best...no more first kisses, just experiences that have taught me a lot. So within a few minutes I was back and loving it all again. Go figure.

GoBigGreen said...

Great post! Running into a sub zero wind makes my HR jump a zone, no hills needed!
40 is great! trust me!

mjcaron said...

Realizing what I wasted in my youth makes me gratefull to HAVE my 40s and able to do something with it. Many (probably most) people, by the time they reach 40 are too far behind the 8 ball healthwise to do much except lose weight and try to stay somewhat healthy (off meds). We are WAY ahead of most people our age and can capitalize on that in triathlon or running.

donna furse said...

what a great post, I decided to not tempt fate and did my long run on saturday and my trainer ride on sunday, I'm such a wimp. I turned 41 this year and its great, not so bad, you are what you make yourself to be. I guess I've said in the past that I wish I didn't waste so much of my youth but now I know that I'm at least making the most of my middle years and hopefully my children will learn something from this. Great post.

GZ said...

Wandered over from Lucho's blog ... so this was the first post of yours I read.

Needless to say, I will be back. While I love endurance sports, I love the journey in searching for ourselves even more (particularly when it is through endurance sports).

Hope you had a warm drink (in a literal and figurative sense) when you got in.

Regina said...

As you say, no need to explain the need to run in the storm when you have a 9 miler on your schedule. Making your family understand is another matter altogether.

I like your analogy of the storm to your life. I kind of went the other way as I was on the cusp of turning 40; I looked forward to it. I've lived a lot of life and done some stupid shit, but it's made me who I am and that ain't so bad. I also know it isn't over. Hell, I didn't start running or doing tri's until age 41. I am in better shape (that would be aerobically, ha! just don't look at my boobs, they are working boobs although retired) than I was ever in my life, and I am a lifelong athlete. It's all good.

Sarah Woulfin said...

Awesome post. Now I have nothing to complain about while running in the cold of NJ (Northern California has turned me into a bit of a weather-wimp) :>

Judi said...

xxxooo mary!

Katie said...

Great post! For so many reasons...

It reminded me of a time that I tried to out run a thunder storm. I came home from work and needed to get in 7 miles. I knew a storm was coming, but I thought I could beat it. Oh man, it was the scariest run ever! Half way through the run the storm hit hard. Huge lightning streaks coming down. Thunder. Down pours. I thought I was toast! I'm glad I don't have to relive that. ;)

Jeanne said...

I think I might have seen you on Old Ocean House Road, though never having met you, wasn't sure. Were you in light blue?
I was finishing up my eight and the snow had had started a couple miles back...