Wednesday, December 23, 2009

On Sunday afternoon I drove home from Maine with the family.
Then, on Monday morning, I left for Maine again.

Crazy!

In high school I had five very close friends. Two of those friends, Ange and Alina, you hear about all the time.  The others, Heidi, Julie and Chris rounded out the rest of our group.  We were very close in high school, and at the time I knew I was lucky--that not everyone could boast such great friendships. But if asked, I probably wouldn't have guessed that we would all be in touch 20 + years later. I did not marry my high school sweetheart. ( This is likely because I had like a dozen of them.) I didn't marry my college sweetheart either (even though I had just one of those...) But I did manage to maintain my friendships from high school and college. I haven't always picked well in the boy department, though to my credit I did in the end, but I sure know how to pick friends.

Anyway. We all got together on Monday night. Chris was in from Chicago, and Heidi offered to host if we all brought cookies and wine. What's funny is that despite all the time that's passed--it's like no time has passed at all. We have 15 kids between us. We all have homes and jobs and husbands... but being together is magically easy and right. I'm lucky.

I'm not sure what's made me so soppy and sentimental of late. But I need to say--I really cherish those friendships.



Summer 1990. We were all nineteen/twenty.
from left to right: Chris (pink), Ange (purple), Heidi (red), me (purple), Alina (red), Julie (white)


 
Christmas 2009, at 39. From left to right, Julie, me, Alina, Ange, Chris, Heidi

14 comments:

Jennifer Harrison said...

YES!!!!!! My fav topic off Triathlon! I know I said something on FB, but I am right there with you. I have the same girl group I hang out with since 1st grade..they are still my BFs....we all still live in the Chicago area and get together 1x/month - rarely miss. We get our kids together every summer....and, we go away 1 weekend per year - we do this every year since we got out of college. 2nd weekend in January...we keep a journal...we are so cute....No matter what happens they are the core of my pure happiness in life. They were before my husband, kids, etc...they have been THRU IT ALL with me and vice-versa. Unconditional love & friendship.

I remember one year - we chased one of the ex husbands (now ex) down b/c he was cheating on one of the girls in the group and we literally "bullied" this girl (like it was all her fault - not!) and we were like this gang (I use that term nicely)...oh, the memories...thanks for this post.

your friends are so great and of course I know Ange and talk Alina on her blog.

:) xoooxo

John said...

You're all great people and I'm glad you've kept your friendship going all these years.

Michelle Simmons said...

That's awesome! I had a group like that in high school but then I moved away to hawaii for college and sort of became a different person and lost touch with most of them. Now we are friends on FB but it's not the same.

Ange said...

I might cry. :o) we are so lucky. The memories with each and every one of you literally fill my life. I know you will all always be there. As I said on FB, it was a Christmas gift to spend the other night with you guys.

Ange said...

and it's worth noting that we all became friends when we were 5,6, 7 years old. so cool.

Jessica said...

I have one best girlfriend I still talk to twice a week from 7th grade (we moved a lot)--there is nothing like her friendship, so I can't imagine that times five!

Anonymous said...

So cute! I always enjoy your stories, rants, etc. Happy holidays to you and your family and friends :)

Unknown said...

This is wonderful, Mary, that you have such great friends! Love the two pics!

donna furse said...

I recently have reconnected with friends from high school but don't have a core group that I hang out with. I do hang with a few from college but not like you. I have great friends that I have met over the last 10 years who have become my closest and I feel blessed. YOu are soooooo very lucky to have these friends since you were little, its amazing what perspective they have on your life which is so different from the friends you have now.

Kate Parker said...

You are so lucky to have such a great group. And so wise to appreciate it so much. Girlfriends like that are few and far between.

I have my college girls that I am like that with and wouldn't trade them for anything!

Merry Christmas!!

Velma said...

I have a similar group - we are so lucky. Something to celebrate over the holidays!

Regina said...

Impressive. I'm friends with one person from HS and one from college. I was a lone wolf (sounds more mysterious that way or just stupid). I do have friends though. In case you might think I repulse people.

Looks like you all had a lot of fun.

mjcaron said...

It's truly special to have such good friends that share a history with.

Pining for Pinterest said...

That is awesome! I have had the same best friends for over 25 years, and I am only 30. It always feels so special to have a bond like that with people.