Sunday, February 14, 2010



And so we begin.

Ange and I have both been coaching for several months now, but it feels much more official now that we have a website. If you haven't check our site out, please do! :) I couldn't get the logo above to link, but if you click here or on the side bar it should load.

We have lots of other ideas for the site... We want to have a blog attached to it, and a discussion board. I also want to create a book review page, where you can link to reviews of the trillion books I've read on training for run, swim, bike, tri.  All eventually! I was surprised out how long it took us just to build the site!

On a different note, I've been thinking about confidence versus arrogance. I think I like arrogance in others better than confidence. True confidence is threatening, but arrogance is usually a veneer, and once you strip back the layers a bit you see that there is a vulnerability. Finding a person who is truly confident is unusual. The truly confident have a calmness to them that cannot be easily ignited. There's no need for bravado when you truly believe in yourself, your rightness, your ability and your performances. There's no need to go on the attack if you believe inherently that you are right--and what others think cannot affect that belief.

I've spent most of my life feeling less than confident. Even my stabs at arrogance are more comical than genuine--more Will Farrell in their bravado than Lance Armstrong.

It takes genuine confidence to launch a business like Ange and I are.  You must believe that you have something to offer--something that is worth others paying their hard-earned money to get.
 I think I'm going to be a good coach. I get people, and that's half the package. My confidence has also been bolstered by my teaching, reading, performing, observing, and blogging. And I trust my passion to carry me. I want to know--I want to figure out--I want to understand and I want to do it right. For me, want translates to work, and I do have confidence that I am a very hard worker.

But, I need to add, I've realized I'm easily shaken. One carefully placed insult can spiral me back into the frame of mind of a the little girl who wasn't sure she could do much of anything.

This will be a big test for me.
I'm excited. and a little nervous.
and I'm trying to armor myself in a chainmail suit of confidence. Wish me luck.

11 comments:

Velma said...

GOOD LUCK! What a fantastic adventure. I think working with a coaching team will be fantastic. You and Ange can bounce off ideas and calm fears.

Running and living said...

I agree with you about confidence. Arrogance is overcompensating for insecurity:)
I checked out the site and it looks awesome! Loved to learn more about you two. You are both quite impressive in what you've accomplished, and you are going to be very successful! Good luck!

John said...

Good luck Mary. I know you and Ange will do a great job getting people to reach their next level.

Michelle Simmons said...

Good luck! I don't think you actually need luck though. ;)
I agree that the website makes you guys more official. I was talking with my husband about that last night and I need to get my own website up here soon! Thanks for the inspiration. :))

Jennifer Harrison said...

GOOD luck you two! Love the pink and the name! :) Good times ahead!

David said...

Nice, I like the website! I think you'll crush the whole running-your-own business thing. best of luck!

Unknown said...

How exciting, I can't wait to check out the new site. What an adventure; you both have the confidence to pull this off and the talent as well. Good luck!

solobreak said...

On the cooldown run at Paddy Kelly, I overheard someone talking about TriMoxie. I think they said you were arrogant. Or maybe it was confident... Any press is good press right?

Judi said...

i am having a hard time playing nice with super arrogant athletes i know and race with. i don't like it. arrogance. you don't seem to be like that mary!

you and ange are going to be awesome. i wish i could afford you but you two scare me. in that way that jen did. LOL.

Regina said...

Congrats and good luck!!! Your post reads like my life. I swear you are me in a faster body.

Unknown said...

I have already seen the results in the people you are coaching so I think you will do great.