Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sick Day and Sweat

Lara and Jordan on Tuesday morning.

Don't they look cherubic? Of course, if you could see the book Jordan is reading to Lara you'd realize it was Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Good stuff. Really appropriate for a four-year old.

Both Jordan and Lara were sick at the beginning of this week with some sort of cold/stomach yuckiness. Both are back at school today.  I love them at home... but I admit, I love them at school, too.
Too much Mastermind. Too much Sorry. Too much Zingo.
Too much, "Mommy, please can you get me a drink? No! Not that cup! I don't like that cup! No I don't want orange juice-- I want milk!"
Too much begging for movies "on demand" (but WHY can't we watch G-Force again?! Please Please Please? But I'm sick and I don't want to play! I want to watch TV!")
Too. Much.

But today everyone went back to school, and I had a whole three hours to myself. I spent it......
drumrolllllllllll pllllllleasssseeeeee
working out. Surprise!

I went to the gym to do a run workout. Normally I run outside. I really can't stand the gym. However, we had snow last night and the roads were slushy and wet.  Because I am racing on Sunday I had a bit of fast, race pace interval kind of workout scheduled, and I didn't want to do that in slush.

Dumb move.
I should have gone for the slush.

First, I had to wait for a treadmill. They were all occupied by women who were walking, chatting, and watching TV.  Can I ask, how much is that REALLY doing? Huh? Does strolling on a treadmill really qualify as aerobic activity? Brisk walking... now that's one thing. But strolling? After ten minutes a few women got off to take a Zumba class. Finally.

Second, it is a thousand degrees in the gym. This is probably because everyone strolls on the treadmills and gabs rather than running. God forbid--they may get chilly if the temperature is set lower than 80 degrees.

Third, there is a 30 minute limit when there is a wait for the treadmills. At 30 minutes, sure enough, a woman asked me to get off. I flung my head around to face her so she was sprayed with my sweat and then smiled sweetly. "Oh, is my time up?" I said without making any motions to get off. Just then another treadmill opened up. The women took off and got on the open mill.
I may be a bitch but I am not getting off the fucking treadmill at 30 minutes. Who the hell made that rule? 30 minutes does not even a run MAKE!

Okay, so those are the three big reasons I should have gone outside instead of going to the gym. Lesson learned. I need to rel-learn this lesson every few months, or so. I forget.

The best part of the run today is how fantastically sweaty I got. It was unbelievable--totally nasty and totally awesome. As everyone strolled on their mills in their fitting sweatpants and cute little Athleta sweatshirts next to me, I tore up that damn treadmill. Ten minutes into the run I was sweaty. By 30 minutes into the run my tank was soaking wet--and I don't mean just soaking wet- I mean SOAKING wet. When I finally got off the treadmill and changed I had to wring it out in the sink before packing it in my bag. Also, my hair was drenched. Usually I remember to put it into a bun when running inside because the tip of the ponytail flops around and sprays sweat pellets everywhere. But today I forgot. Anyway, because I wasn't just a little sweaty, but a lotta sweaty,  my ponytail didn't just set off pellets of sweat. Instead a stream of water flowed off the end of my ponytail as it swayed rhythmically from side-to-side, dampening the fashionable Ahtleta tops of the women around me.
Fabulous.

So that was my run.

When I got off the mill I just looked around like, Right, Ladies. That's how it's fucking done.

26 comments:

Jennifer Harrison said...

THAT is awesome! Damn right. I can NOT do the gym. I bought my own frigging TM...I can not stand listening to everyone pine on and on about blah when I am running! Great work! :)

Running and living said...

Love it. You know I hate the treadmill. I was out in the slush (not that bad around here) and did my tempo there.
A tip about the treadmill. When I was forced to run on the mill on the cruise, I saw the 30 min limit and I just restarted the timer after each interval. Not the nicest thing, but I am really not nice when I run. And I am OK with that! Can't wait for your race!!!!

Regina said...

hysterical! As usual. I won't even tell you the things I've read to my 4 y/o....I have to skip over words. what? he asked me to read my book out loud to him.

I am so glad I am at the Y. Although I run outside 9.5 times out of 10, the 'mills are always open...and then there is the insanely small indoor track when all else fails.

I understand about sweat and ponytails....I feel like Noah's wife when I leave the training floor. Way to do the sweaty swagger miss thing!

Pining for Pinterest said...

You are hilarious! I would have loved to see that :-)

donna furse said...

I so get the treadmill drama, people look at me like I'm a freak when I'm doing tempos or hill work and sweating like a waterfall. I've actually thought about buying a fan to bring to the gym for me because its so friggin hot. What pisses me off even more then the 30 minute time limit are the people who text, talk on the phone, read a magazine, etc.. I'll accept that if your 80 or with a significant injury, but seriously, don't come to the gym to do nothing. Great job today.

Ange said...

Yes,that IS how it's done!! I don't get the stroll....I just want to ask why? Why do you just stroll??? MOVE!!! You must MOVE folks!!!! Good job. Show them how great it is to sweat.

Marit C-L said...

Oh my word - I feel the SAME way. Granted, I'm a bit of a treadmill hog myself - BUT, when I see people walking..it's like - really? seriously?? Usually (like you) - when I'm on that thing, I have a purpose and a mission. Way to tear it up!! WOO HOO!!

Tricia said...

too funny :)

Glad the little ones are feeling better!

Unknown said...

Yep, I know that feeling of sweatiness. I love it.

John said...

As impressive as I know you were, I have sad feeling that the women were more disgusted by your sweating than impressed. Poor delicate things.

Trisaratops said...

Where is the "like" button on this?

:)

Nicely done. 30 minutes is so ridiculous. I always totally play dumb and pretend I don't see the rule.

Tricia said...

I don't think I've commented before, but I just wanted to say I love this post :) I cheat on the treadmill and restart it after 20 minutes sometimes; when people walk behind you to check it'll still say you have time left. And I can't stand it when women don't allow themselves to sweat. God forbid anyone has to wash their hair after a workout!

Ange said...

Ok, I love that Tricia restarts the Mill! that's great...oh and I also agree...godforbid we need to shower away that sweat! Bring on the sweat!

sallyaston said...

Love your blog! And you just reminded me why I hate the gym- 30 min limit to walk and talk on a treadmill, UGH! :-)

Kristina said...

That 30 min rule is inane. That's why we have a country of fat people. I can't wait until people's New Year's resolutions fall by the wayside and I don't have to bitch slap someone to get on the equipment at the gym.

Amanda said...

I re-learned that lesson about 2 weeks ago. I haven't been to the gym for a run since. But the sweating is so so nice.

Michelle said...

I have to remember to count myself lucky - I've never had to wait for a TM at the Y and I have come to LOVE doing my interval work on the mill in the winter. As soon as possible, I'm on the track for speedwork, but I just can't do it in the dark, on crappy, icy roads in the winter and have it be a quality workout. Long runs or recovery runs? I'd rather eat nails than do them on the TM, but for some reason I'm digging the speedwork on it these days!

And I'm a disgusting, totally drenched, red faced mess as well. LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

THAT is awesome!!! I LOVE IT!!

Wendy said...

Love it!

That 30 minute rule is such crap. I take 10 minutes to warm up and 5 to cool down...so I should only run hard for 15 minutes? Right.

mjcaron said...

Are you TRYING to gross us out? LOL. Either way, nice going!!

Katie said...

It drives me crazy when I see people strolling on the treadmills (and I want one). I try to take a deep and tell myself they can do whatever they want with their time, but mostly I think, "Ugh just get off my treadmill already, it's not like that stroll is helping you any." And the time limit...that really irritates me. I can't imagine running less than hour most of the time.

BTW I get super sweaty running on the mill too. It's awesome. I love sweating (as long as it's from exercise).

Tyler Ross said...

way to really bust your ass at the gym...it's pretty interesting how we take such pleasure in what so many others would call suffering...way to go!

hope the chitlins are feeling better...

Ewa said...

Sweating on a treadmill is something I am very familiar with. I am only sorry for anyone next to me, especially those slow walkers. Runners are usually wet also so they don't notice they are getting sprayed.

Adrienne said...

LOVE this post- why is this an epidemic at gyms everywhere? I think that walking on the treadmill should be banned. I am tempted to tape up signs on the treadmills that say walking not allowed. No one will stop me!

Speed Racer said...

Nicely played. I hate 30 min limits. I decided long ago that they don't apply to me or anyone else who actually uses their gym membership. So glad to hear training's going well and you're enjoying the winter Boston prep circuit.

GetBackJoJo said...

Hi anon from wellesley,
Sorry to offend. but ouch!