Thursday, February 11, 2010

 



This is Andy. My one-hour, ten-mile man. Have I MENTIONED how happy I am he's racing again? That is the man I fell in love with~!

Those of you who raced when you were in college or as a sponsored athlete after college will understand this better than I ever will, but for a long time Andy gave up racing--and I believe it was because it was too depressing for him. He ran so well-so fast at William & Mary (he would argue he never ran fast enough, but...) that he won't ever see times like those again. He ran very close to a 4 minute mile. He did the steeple in 8:49. He ran a hilly 15K in 47 minutes on a lark. He ran a 2:40 marathon without doing more than a couple months of training. For those of you who ran super fast in college and beyond, those times might seem solid, but not like OMG,  he was some Ryan Hall! But to those of us who haven't spent time in the world of track, those times seem unbelievable--just unbelievable.

But then he grew up, got married, had babies (or I had them, but he slowed down and ate ice cream with me), moved on to a normal weight (as opposed to the bony, anorexic look of most college runners) --and most importantly, he couldn't train the way he had, nor did he want to. And so he didn't race. What fun is it to race if you are not what you used to be? (I guess--but this is honestly what I don't get, I think b/c I simply was not a collegiate athlete and never experienced the glory of running a 4 min. mile.)

Over the years I've missed Andy racing. I love racing together (or separately, but together, if you know what I mean.) Racing and training is something we had in common when we were first together so many years ago--and it was sad when we weren't sharing it these last years. Anyway, I find it so exciting that he could be a top Master in New England if he even puts in a small effort--and will be top AG in tri, too (he is doing his first 1/2 Iron this summer) if he spends plenty of time on the bike. I want this for him--but I probably want it just as much for me. I love this stuff. It's always more fun if the person you are closest to shares your passion.

______________________

Onto to moi. Of course.
I have been anayzling my race last weekend, and trying to discern why I am not thrilled with it. 
I am thrilled I PR'd. That is true. 
But the bigger truth is I think I'm not totally thrilled in general because I. got. beat. 
While I hate to admit that this is the the cause of my unease, I think it IS the cause of my unease. What good is it to PR if you don't beat everyone? 
Precisely the wrong attitude, so I am working on adjusting it. The first step is to admit I hate to get beat. Second step is---- ? not sure yet. Maybe to slap myself and say--You PR'd you dumb shit! Celebrate! It is good I want to beat everyone--but bad if I let it affect my feelings about an amazing performance on my part. You know? The truth is, I ran a stupid race (went out too fast--albeit on purpose) and I still PR'd. That's saying something.

I am also thinking about my jack rabbit approach, and how I succeeded in getting that very feeling that now has me deflated. Oh, the irony. Or maybe not. Maybe I'm smarter than I think I am, and I think I'm pretty smart. When you are in a race and you get passed--especially by the very people you don't want to pass you (ahem. Jeff. ahem. Steve. ahem Stacy. ahem, almost Erin.)--then you become deflated. It's hard enough to just run yourself into the turf. It's harder still to overcome the defeat of things not going well while still running yourself into the turf. I wanted to give up--I wanted to just reign it in and slow down and say, well! I guess it's a bad idea to take a 10 miler out at 10K pace! 
But I didn't. I need to learn to overcome that defeat--b/c that emotion is exactly what stopped me at Lake Placid. I need to master that emotion--feel it-get it and put it away when I am in a race. So I'm glad I ran the race stupidly. You just don't get the feeling of emotional defeat if you run intelligently and finish strong. We learn to overcome by having to overcome, right?

The problem is that when you race stupidly, even if you mean to so you can learn to battle a particular emotion head on, you still feel crappy after the fact because you wonder--could I have held my own if I just ran smart? Could I have stayed strong and challenged those who passed me? 

I think that's why I am deflated. And I have to learn to deal with that, too--because no one likes a person who can't cherish her successes just because someone else (or many someone elses) ran a better race than she did. Right? (Notice I keep asking you to affirm that my think isn't totally looney.)

One thing I did note is this: When you take it out too fast, the effect later on is that you feel like you SHOULD have it in you--but it's like you can't GET to it. It's a weird feeling. You can't access the speed in you... 
I wonder why that is? 

Another thing I have been thinking about: If you always race intelligently, than you never launch yourself into the unknown. What if I had been able to hold that pace? What if my 10k Pace really is my 10 mile pace, and I just hadn't pushed myself enough to discover this? Sometimes you have to be stupid to discover what you may not know. 
Not sure that made sense. 

----------------
On a final note: Ange and I are about to come out. 
No, we aren't lovers.  
Actually, we are partners, though. In coaching. 
TriMoxie Multisport Coaching is now our official gig
The word Moxie is a neologism which derives from the trademark Moxie Soda, which was invented by Mainer Dr. Augustin Thompson in the 1870’s.
Since that time it has become an Americanism which has come to mean energy, courage, determination, skill, grit and guts--as in That girl’s got Moxie!
As you know from reading our blogs, Ange and I definitely have moxie.
We want you to have it, too, so if you are interested in our coaching, then email us at angeandmary@trimoxiecoaching.com. 
Our website will be up at the beginning of next week. 
We. are. pumped.




19 comments:

Michelle said...

Good post Mary. I totally get what you are saying here. But I think to "get over" the recent race, you have to keep reminding yourself of your goals going in. They weren't to win - if they had been, you would have run with a different strategy. You accomplished the goal you set out to achieve, and you PR'd to boot. THAT'S your win for this race. It's the NEXT race you should be looking toward now - now that you know you can conquer the defeated feeling, it's not going to screw with again. If it's the right time, then race smart next time, and kick some serious ass. And maybe next time you are racing to learn something, pick a race you don't secretly (or not so secretly!) WANT to win. :)

Michelle said...

Oh, and a big congrats to you and Ange! How exciting!!!!!

Michelle Simmons said...

Congrats on the Moxie! You guys will make great coaches! :))

I love how honest you are. I hate getting beat too- mostly just by my friends (people who I do not know I do not care about). One thing I try to keep in mind is the Big Picture... so does it matter if you get beat in this little race? I'd get beat in the little race all day long if I could win the big one- the one everyone cares about... Clearly your goal is IM and all your races are leading you to that, so these little learning experiences along the way are just that. And you are learning everything you need to learn so that when the big day comes you're ALL OVER IT! :)

Pining for Pinterest said...

I think all of us do the same thing. I think we have to reflect to make ourselves better. I have only done one race, but I just keep thinking of all the things I am going to do next time and how to prepare. You are such an inspiration. That is wonderful that your husband is getting back into competing :-)

Swimming for ME said...

Yes on all accounts.. I mean we do love you and your honest soul baring posts.

Can't wait to see the new TriMoxie website...

Congratulations -- One couldn't ask for better coaches than you and Ange. Talk about Moxie!

Running and living said...

Hurray, big congrats, you are going to do awesome!Go Moxie!

That is exactly what I referred to when I said "habituation". With practice, you learn to not give in emotionally if you get passed.

I think you typically find another gear in races. At Derry, you ran super fast at the end so that you could pass or not be caught by others. So of course you are going to expect to be able to do this in all races, and be dissapointed when that does not happen (e.g., the 10 mielr race)

I don't think there is anything wrong with being dissapointed that you did not beat your friends in the race. It is a normal feeling to have. We all have it, but society tells us we should not. As long as those feelings are used to motivate you rather than bring you down and paralyze you, all is good!

Awesome Andy is getting back into it. I am still trying to get my husband to go back. He has the natural body of a runner, really skinny, and just flies the road without any training. For me, it's like a waste that he is not racing.

Judi said...

i knew you two would do something like that. awesome mary, so happy for you. you will be awesome coaches.

Sarah Woulfin said...

Congrats on the coaching site, and I love the name--TriMoxie!

Ange said...

First, Take RiSKS!!!! didn't someone very smart teach us that? :)
Second, I am so happy for Andy (and you) that he is back into racing!!! And I TOTALLY get his "fear" or unwillingness to go back to a place that was once so successful. it's scary. As a college swimmer, I remember those speedy days. That's reason #1000 that Triathlon is so glorious! I can still swim and race in the water without trying to beat myself up over .3 in the 200 fly! (cause I'd actually probably be 30 away from that anyway..ouch)
And Third, GET YOUR MOXIE!

Unknown said...

I am so psyched that you and Ange are starting your own coaching business, way to go. I can't wait to chat with you about it in NC. Great Post.

Kim said...

you and andy are going to be a HIM power couple! which one is he doing?

yay for moxie! cant wait to check out your new gig.

Anonymous said...

first off..congrats on "coming out". Secondly...you know..I think that insatiable bit is the very thign that drives you to get up and go swim at ungodly times in the AM. Or to go run a race stupidly, as U say, jsut so you can battle an emotion head on. We aren't normal...we are wolves...and it is beautiful

mjcaron said...

I think it's good to go out to fast every once in a while to see what happens. To do it in a 10 miler is courageous. I would probably opt for trying that in a 5 mile. I like the idea of that.

Congrats on your new coaching!! You guys will be great coaches!!

Kate Parker said...

Love the name! Good luck with the business!!!

Unknown said...

Great post, I've battled these demons too. You made me think, which is better? Run stupidly to see what you might possibly be able to do or run intelligently and be safe with what you know you can do(as long as everything is in place for the race). I tend to think that I need to take more risks, gain more confidence and then see what I can do. Racing safely is just that, safe. If I want to take it to another level, I think I need to take risks.
Congrats on the new website, I can't wait to check it out.

Velma said...

I am so excited for you new business adventure - you guys are going to be awesome.

I admire you for cheering on your hubby. I am so competitive that it would be tough for me to live with someone who has such natural talent - sad but true.

Take the race as it comes, you did great. There will always be more to learn - onward to the next race.

Katie said...

This post spoke to me! I ran in college, and although I was never really division one material and never really thought I was fast at the time...I look back at my times and can't imagine being that fast now. I ran an 18:24 5K a few times. An 11:30 2 mile and a 5:24 mile. Again, not particularly fast for the college ladies, but much much faster than I can run now. Sigh. I also stopped racing for a long time after graduating. Not so much because I couldn't continue running the times, but more because I felt completely spent. I gave everything I had to my coach and team and just didn't have anything left. It's really only been this past year that I've come back to racing versus casual running.

And your last paragraph makes complete sense. I always start faster than I can finish. I try to be reasonable, but I like to run the first mile around 15 to 20 seconds faster than I imagine my overall pace might be. Then I do my best to hang on for as long possible. It might a throwback from college days. My coach always told me that if my last mile was faster than the first, then I didn't run hard enough.

Great post!

John said...

You guys will be great coaches!

kerrie said...

if you never take risks when you race, you'll never learn what you can do. anyone can race safe...but does that really challenge you?

congrats on your new biz!